What are you thinking about? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg... I thoight you meant having three shifts... Not the night thing...aorry!! But i have worked night it still sucks!!

I have witnessed staffers health decline because they were working overnight almost daily, and one of them was pregnant, and it seriously did a number on her. Now, they don't let anyone work 16 hours anymore.

I wonder is third shift job is bad for employers' health? Staying awake all night, sleep during the day for a week except going out on weekends is not good for mental/physical health? More people in my area are working as third shift. Just wondering...

Some families have no choice. If both spouses work, one works days the other nights. Free day care. Not an easy life though.

Some families have no choice. If both spouses work, one works days the other nights. Free day care. Not an easy life though.

Good point-- they need to be able to take care of the kids, and still support them. However, this kind of way to work does not make a marriage work too well.

I have witnessed staffers health decline because they were working overnight almost daily, and one of them was pregnant, and it seriously did a number on her. Now, they don't let anyone work 16 hours anymore.

Really, because I have a Masters in the medical field, have worked in the medical field for years and have worked over nights for multiple years and as far as I know through personal experience and through medical knowledge, over nights do not hit your health directly. :hmm: But, you do know everything... Please, teach me all of your medical knowledge! Let me just tell the university they know nothing and I must relearn everything from you per usual! :roll: Let me rip up my masters degree and throw it in the trash!

Did you ever stop to think maybe 16 hour shifts were declining her health, NOT overnights? :roll:

Why do I know this you ask? I get people in all the time that want me to write them notes asking for excuses to have their employers switch them to days because they agreed to take a job working overnights and they want to cut in line and take over day shifts instead of waiting in line for seniority. We... can't.... do it... it's not a legitimate excuse because it's not a medical fact... it doesn't cause health concerns.... Boom... mind blown yet? :roll:

Really, because I have a Masters in the medical field, have worked in the medical field for years and have worked over nights for multiple years and as far as I know through personal experience and through medical knowledge, over nights do not hit your health directly. :hmm: But, you do know everything... Please, teach me all of your medical knowledge! Let me just tell the university they know nothing and I must relearn everything from you per usual! :roll:

I'm not a medical professional-- I'm actually speaking from experience. When I lived in a residental group home with 24/7 supervision, the overnight staff would always go home at 7 AM way too tired to even be driving. I worry about their focus if they're that tired, but back then, they had someone to come and pick them up. Now? I have no idea, as I haven't lived there in nearly 4 years, but I'm sure not a lot has changed. Here where I live, there is no 24/7 staff at all, and I go to sleep whenever I please.

I'm not a medical professional-- I'm actually speaking from experience. When I lived in a residental group home with 24/7 supervision, the overnight staff would always go home at 7 AM way too tired to even be driving. I worry about their focus if they're that tired, but back then, they had someone to come and pick them up. Now? I have no idea, as I haven't lived there in nearly 4 years, but I'm sure not a lot has changed. Here where I live, there is no 24/7 staff at all, and I go to sleep whenever I please.

there you go.... they were overworked.... 16 hrs a day? mein gott!!!!

must be nice to sleep whenever you please. I'm sure the overnight staff would love to borrow a couple of hours from your sleep time.

there you go.... they were overworked.... 16 hrs a day? mein gott!!!!

That's why they hired more staff-- to prevent that from happening. It was an accident waiting to happen. Now they don't work 16 hours anymore.

Then clear up your words... it was 16 hour shifts... not working over nights....

Then clear up your words... it was 16 hour shifts... not working over nights....

-_- Sorry. You are correct. They worked 3-11 PM and 11 PM to 7 AM, and that wasn't such a smart move then, and they stopped doing that a couple years ago, I believe.

I wonder is third shift job is bad for employers' health? Staying awake all night, sleep during the day for a week except going out on weekends is not good for mental/physical health? More people in my area are working as third shift. Just wondering...

It's possible.

Both my mother and aunt have worked third shifts in their lifetime. Mom never suffered too much I don't think... partly because she was part-time and she recently told me that during those years she was more of a night person while dad was a morning person. Nowadays as retired folk- it's the opposite oddly enough. My aunt used to work MANY different kinds of shifts when working for Amtrak- she hated it- it did mess with her body (and I am sure mental health)... day shift, afternoon, overnight (3rd), swing shift, 3 days on, 4 days off, 5 days a week, you name it. I can't remember which shift she preferred the most though. She is also retired now (or really they kind of pushed her out the door...ugh).

I am more of a night person- seem to do my best work then lol (well except right now , Bad Duck) and would love a 3rd shift job...

Good point-- they need to be able to take care of the kids, and still support them. However, this kind of way to work does not make a marriage work too well.

...and you know this how? Were you married to someone and you both had opposite shifts?

My parents have been married for over 50 years. During their working years they worked opposite shifts. Mom did third shift (part time though and on call as needed), Dad worked days- when he co-owned his own business for a number of years those days tended to stretch to 12 hours or more sometimes. They were fine with it. They made it work.

If opposite shifts is a problem in the marriage- they've got bigger problems or they should have never married in the first place.

========
Didn't feel like creating yet another post-
-_- Sorry. You are correct. They worked 3-11 PM and 11 PM to 7 AM, and that wasn't such a smart move then, and they stopped doing that a couple years ago, I believe.

Outside of medical (ER etc), I don't think I have EVER seen a job where a 16 hour day was 'typical'. When I worked at the residential facility, it WAS common for staff to work "Doubles"- their normal shift then another shift for Overtime pay (usually when someone was either sick or on vacation). All combinations- 7A-3P then 3P-11P or 3P-11P then 11P-7A. I think that's right- my building wasn't union for years then when they joined the union it was 6-2, 2-10, 10-6 though I can't remember which set of hours were union...

hmm I don't recall any of them ever having failing health, tired maybe.

Do you know why did they earn more? Because of health reason? :hmm:

Most of my hubby's 3rd shift jobs paid $1 more for the hour. The get the shift differential due to the number of people who would not willingly work those hours. Hubby worked at 2 different jobs from 11pm to 7am. It was hard and he never wants to do it again. He prefers the 2nd shift, but currently works 1st shift 5 days a week (M-F) and has a 3rd shift 2 nights a week (Fri & Sat). Friday he does essentially work 2 shifts. with 2 different jobs. I will be glad when he can leave the one as his only time at home is either sleeping or doing lawn work.

Mine worked out fine. We did that with me working days and him working nights. I was doing home schooling with my kids at the same time. It wasn't easy, but it worked and we have a strong marriage. I ended up having to leave my job, and he got a transfer that put him on 2nd shift. We had to move and that was the hardest part.

My thinking is, if the marriage is good and strong, weathering through things like that will only make it stronger.

Love makes anything possible including making it work in any situation.

10174_700b.jpg

Thinking that the search feature for this forum isn't good. I've searched for some threads and it doesn't show up like it should. No wonder people repost threads sometimes.

I remember doing few of those double shifts when I worked at Thresholds. I found ways to entertain myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back