What are you thinking about? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the sign for Louisiana?

Yeah, LA would count, especially if you have been in the outlying areas. Even New Orleans is a culture all its own, but it is nothing like the true Cajun culture of the outlying areas. Anyone ever watch the show "Swamp People"? It was a serial documentary about the culture in the swamp regions of Arkansas and Louisiana. I can't remember if it was on Discovery or A & E, but I'm thinking Discovery.

I havent' seen it. I've been to Shreveport LA... I don't think we went near a swamp.

What's the sign for Louisiana?

It's signed similarly to the shit sign except that it's done with the L handshape. The ASL dictionary that I found shows the more polite sign for it.

I havent' seen it. I've been to Shreveport LA... I don't think we went near a swamp.

Yeah, Shreveport is pretty uptown. I have passed through some of the outskirts traveling to New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I still remember pulling into a gas station and being greeted by a Cajun that was going to wait on me. I have no idea what came out of that man's mouth, but I couldn't understand a word until he repeated it about 3 times.:giggle:

I have a friend that grew up in Lousiana; she taught me to make some killer wild duck gumbo! But when she would get angry or upset, she would lapse into half French half English with a Cajun accent, and you couldn't understand a word she said.:P Her dad used to make his own Beaudoin and send it up. Talk about good! We'd take it right out of the dry ice it was shipped on and start eating!

Yeah, Shreveport is pretty uptown. I have passed through some of the outskirts traveling to New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I still remember pulling into a gas station and being greeted by a Cajun that was going to wait on me. I have no idea what came out of that man's mouth, but I couldn't understand a word until he repeated it about 3 times.:giggle:

I have a friend that grew up in Lousiana; she taught me to make some killer wild duck gumbo! But when she would get angry or upset, she would lapse into half French half English with a Cajun accent, and you couldn't understand a word she said.:P Her dad used to make his own Beaudoin and send it up. Talk about good! We'd take it right out of the dry ice it was shipped on and start eating!

it's sort of like my family's experience in Yorkshire, England when our car died on the road. My dad said that cop told him to move the car. We could hardly understand the folks in Yorkshire.. They coudn't understand us either.

I would love to try that gumbo. I love Cajun food!

Little afraid do this...

I'll give you a helping hand:

purplegoldhair.jpg

peebag.jpg

deerstand.jpg

I would love to try that gumbo. I love Cajun food!

It is really rich, because of the duck and the stock. I make a big batch and freeze it anytime I can get ahold of wild duck. Domestic duck just doesn't give the same flavor.

It is really rich, because of the duck and the stock. I make a big batch and freeze it anytime I can get ahold of wild duck. Domestic duck just doesn't give the same flavor.

Too bad my BIL doesn't hunt ducks. I would bribe him into mailing me wild duck.

I tried duck a few times. Not for me.

I'm not really all that crazy about it just roasted. But in the gumbo, it is killer. The trick to roasting a duck is to run it under the broiler for a few minutes to broil the top layer of fat down so that it isn't so greasy. But it is a strong flavored meat. When you combine it with the other gumbo ingredients, which are strong flavored, too, it tends to get lost in the other flavors some. But still retains some flavor. That's the reason I'm not crazy about using chicken in gumbo. It just gets lost because it is so mild.

I'm not really all that crazy about it just roasted. But in the gumbo, it is killer. The trick to roasting a duck is to run it under the broiler for a few minutes to broil the top layer of fat down so that it isn't so greasy. But it is a strong flavored meat. When you combine it with the other gumbo ingredients, which are strong flavored, too, it tends to get lost in the other flavors some. But still retains some flavor. That's the reason I'm not crazy about using chicken in gumbo. It just gets lost because it is so mild.

I see... The duck wonton was too much for me.

Felt like it had too much Iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back