What are you thinking about? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry Kristina...

That's sad. It may be time now if she is just staying in one spot. Animals can be in a lot of pain and not give expression of it like a human.

I think that must be the case for your cat, and it would be kinder to put her to sleep , rather than let her lay there suffering.

Thanks ladies. After a quiet night, I checked on her this morning. She got up and asked for help getting out of the corner. We got her out and she came into the kitchen and drank a lot of water. Would not eat any of the food (it was also very fresh from a new bag). She then went into my room, jumped up onto the bed and asked for treats. She knows I keep them in a dresser drawer. She chowed down on Chicken Temptations and Catnip flavored Temptations and got her Hip & Joint supplement. She is now curled up on the bed and seems happy, but quiet. Still very thin since she won't eat her food.

Wah! They didn't come back on Friday and my front lawn really needs to be mowed so I guess I'll do it today. I've been mowing it "high" anyway so when they do come back, they can still mow it low like they did the backyard. Reason I mow it high is because I like to use the mulching height rather than bag it. Leaving the grass clippings is better for the lawn as long as the clippings aren't in clumps.

About an hour after I posted this the guys showed up. They apparently didn't have their mower with them as they haven't mowed the front lawn yet, but they did do the flowerbeds and trimmed the bushes. Hoping they come back to mow.

Thanks ladies. After a quiet night, I checked on her this morning. She got up and asked for help getting out of the corner. We got her out and she came into the kitchen and drank a lot of water. Would not eat any of the food (it was also very fresh from a new bag). She then went into my room, jumped up onto the bed and asked for treats. She knows I keep them in a dresser drawer. She chowed down on Chicken Temptations and Catnip flavored Temptations and got her Hip & Joint supplement. She is now curled up on the bed and seems happy, but quiet. Still very thin since she won't eat her food.

Thinking of you and her. It's a tough time in our pets' lives... I hope she will rally and be with you, happy, for awhile longer. :aw:

That's not really the point actually. As I said, speech and sign are not mutually exclusive. It was the way the question was asked. Not, "what is your child's mode of communication?". I've met many Deaf people who have speech abilities, in addition to sign. I've also met many who only sign, although statistically I don't think any studies have been done which focus on "the majorities" mode of communication. We all have our opinions though. :wave:

Totally true, we all have our own opinions.

I'm sorry you got butthurt over someone asking about speaking or sign. If a child is signing all the time, it's obvious what that child's mode of communication is. If a child is speaking all the time, it's obvious what that child's mode of communication is. So, for a parent to ask, it's because it's not obvious to them which it is.

I actually take that as a sign of respect in asking how that child communicates.

Again, yes, you can have your own opinion. I simply expressed mine. Thank you. :wave:

Totally true, we all have our own opinions.

I'm sorry you got butthurt over someone asking about speaking or sign. If a child is signing all the time, it's obvious what that child's mode of communication is. If a child is speaking all the time, it's obvious what that child's mode of communication is. So, for a parent to ask, it's because it's not obvious to them which it is.

I actually take that as a sign of respect in asking how that child communicates.

Again, yes, you can have your own opinion. I simply expressed mine. Thank you. :wave:

Oh honey, I didn't get "butthurt". I was just a little frustrated she was implying it had to be one or the other, that's all :)

You're welcome :wave:

the majority of the Deaf do one or the other, not both, so I totally understand why the question was asked. Asking about the child's communication method is the right thing to do.

How else are you going to know how to communicate with the kid? Got to ask. At least if you are respectful toward the kid.

Thinking I have got to stay out of Current Events totally. I am not ready for all the debates and such.

How else are you going to know how to communicate with the kid? Got to ask. At least if you are respectful toward the kid.

Exactly. Which is why I don't understand why someone got butthurt over it. :ty:

(Maybe butthurt wasn't the right word -- "attention-seeker !!!!!!!!!!!!!" was probably a better choice.

Exactly. Which is why I don't understand why someone got butthurt over it. :ty:

(Maybe butthurt wasn't the right word -- "attention-seeker !!!!!!!!!!!!!" was probably a better choice.

!!!!!!!!! You're so silly!!!!!!!!!!

All you have to do is engage with the child to see their preferred mode of communication. You don't need to ask, "does he sign or speak?".

Golly, I sure am an attention seeker for sharing what I'm thinking about!

All you have to do is engage with the child to see their preferred mode of communication. You don't need to ask, "does he sign or speak?".

Honey,

Part of my last quote in this discussion was: "So, for a parent to ask, it's because it's not obvious to them which it is. "

What if the child is on a swing? Or going down the slide? Or simply not saying/doing anything at all -- therefore, not communicating in any form at that point, except for squeals of delight, and whatnot. And it is NOT obvious how that deaf child communicates? Should the other parents just make a stupid assumption?

Please, think about what you're saying. You're making assumptions based on a few experiences. You sound so ignorant it's not ONE BIT funny. Yet I have a feeling you're laughing at this point. And that's truly, truly sad. Is it any wonder that not one single other parent (and several have responded in response to OTHER POSTS in this thread) has responded to your post about that experience you had that day?

I find it bizarre you are so willing to brush off the experiences of those who lived this, who are parents who lived this, yet you brush off every one of us.

How do you engage the kid if you don't know to communicate with them one way or the other?

Honey,

Part of my last quote in this discussion was: "So, for a parent to ask, it's because it's not obvious to them which it is. "

What if the child is on a swing? Or going down the slide? Or simply not saying/doing anything at all -- therefore, not communicating in any form at that point, except for squeals of delight, and whatnot. And it is NOT obvious how that deaf child communicates? Should the other parents just make a stupid assumption?

No, I'm not suggesting a person make a stupid assumption. As I stated, all you have to do is engage with a child to see their preferred mode of communication.
Please, think about what you're saying. You're making assumptions based on a few experiences. You sound so ignorant it's not ONE BIT funny.

Please show me where I'm making assumptions about anything. You're right, it's not funny you view my comments as ignorant. That probably wasn't the best choice of words. I've also had more than the "few experiences" you implied...
Yet I have a feeling you're laughing at this point. And that's truly, truly sad. Is it any wonder that not one single other parent (and several have responded in response to OTHER POSTS in this thread) has responded to your post about that experience you had that day?
I haven't seen any other parent of a DHH child respond to anything after I made that post except for Kristina.
I find it bizarre you are so willing to brush off the experiences of those who lived this, who are parents who lived this, yet you brush off every one of us.
I'm not brushing anything off actually. Your statement that "majority of people who are deaf use one or the other" was your opinion, not based on any factual information. Please speak for yourself. Your views don't represent "every one of us".

but there's nothing wrong with "does he sign or speak?" or "does he speak English or Korean?"

it's a polite way of knowing the child's mode of communication.

That's sad. It may be time now if she is just staying in one spot. Animals can be in a lot of pain and not give expression of it like a human.

I think that must be the case for your cat, and it would be kinder to put her to sleep , rather than let her lay there suffering.

Yes that s what we had to put our fur baby down due to suffering for 2 months and I was totoally blind. My mom reminded me that my aunt who had pancreatitis cancer but same problem and she told my mom that my aunt wish that she is allowed to put down because of pain really bad. Then mom said "do him a favor" I woke up that my fur baby suffered for more than 2 months and everything. So we went ahead to make him pain free. Its hard but better this way. I agree bott .

Yes that s what we had to put our fur baby down due to suffering for 2 months and I was totoally blind. My mom reminded me that my aunt who had pancreatitis cancer but same problem and she told my mom that my aunt wish that she is allowed to put down because of pain really bad. Then mom said "do him a favor" I woke up that my fur baby suffered for more than 2 months and everything. So we went ahead to make him pain free. Its hard but better this way. I agree bott .

Yeah. Right now I am watching Joey closely. Even after his cancer surgery, I have my suspicions that he isn't well.

The doctor didn't find anything else, but he just seems slowed down and unwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back