What are you thinking about? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those dictionaries have been referred in the deaf community as "dictionaries of errors". It is a joke because many of them have been published by people who never really interacted with the Deaf community or people who werent careful and as a result, errors have been made.

I've demonstrated elsewhere on this forum that there were Deaf, CODA's, and hearing individuals were a part of the creation of SEE. Gerilee Gustason was one of the main people, and she was Deaf.

The SEE dictionary isn't an ASL dictionary. It's SEE, so I can see why people would think it's full of errors in ASL.

Okay. Hopefully this works. This is from the SEE dictionary. Hopefully this clear things up. Again- I did not recommend anyone use these signs- I don't care who uses what. Just clarifying that I was not wrong in my statements.

I see why you are very confused. The author was probably having trouble describing it in book because in real life, we do repeatedly bounce B/L/D on our chins quickly and it may looks like a circular motion.

The author should have used this motion indicator for B/L/D (see below) rather than using circular motion indicator.

draft_lens17973474module150345482photo_1306023128asl_popcorn_sign1.jpg

Thank you :) I was thinking the exact same thing, but didn't want to come off as pushy.

Don't worry about being pushy. companies like knowing people really want to work for them so if you email again, they will know you're sincerely interested.
I have a lot of experience writing CVs and have a 100% success track record in getting people hired. I've battled with all of my clients who were resistant to "being pushy" - i.e. bragging about their accomplishments. If you have nothing to brag about, no one wants to hire you.

so you're saying they are wrong and dictionary is right?

I'm saying that in terms of how you sign something in SEE, yes I'll defer to the SEE dictionary.

I'm not going to learn a word in Spanish from the French dictionary.

Yes. I am afraid she will have to be put to sleep. Very sad and afraid.

And she is only 7 years old. That's more like a middle aged dog. Not really old... :cry:

I am cocern you lose your dogs sadly! i am cocern feeling@ you adorable your love your dog I wonder!! it is very hard to situation! your feeling heart your truth!

It is very pretty seem your dogs young, it is very lots of difficult! vet investigation!

it is vet is pretty want to prevent to sick and cancer suffer dog something resuce! that is sadly wish I want to prayer your touch your dogs with your friends holds sticker

I like your dogs!

I've demonstrated elsewhere on this forum that there were Deaf, CODA's, and hearing individuals were a part of the creation of SEE. Gerilee Gustason was one of the main people, and she was Deaf.

The SEE dictionary isn't an ASL dictionary. It's SEE, so I can see why people would think it's full of errors in ASL.

but.... SEE copies ASL and as you said many times - the signs for both SEE and ASL are nearly identical for most vocabularies... just that SEE has extra signs for unnecessary words and different grammatical structure.

looks like you are confused once again.... don't you think it's best to let signers with 20+ years of experience explain it to her rather than you?

Me too.. I am very upset.

You're not alone with this, Botti...hoping the doggie can be healed...Brings back the memory of my own Shistzu who died of breast cancer, "Buffy"...brings tears to my eyes whenever I think of her, and I do almost daily, after several years. Our pets mean so much to us.

I'm saying that in terms of how you sign something in SEE, yes I'll defer to the SEE dictionary.

I'm not going to learn a word in Spanish from the French dictionary.
Spanish and French languages are 2 different languages. So are you saying SEE and ASL are completely different from each other and that they do not share same signs?

and why do you rather defer to SEE dictionary than deafies with years of experience in SEE?

Thinking about how many more pipes will break tonight. The freeze broke one pipe that our hose go to. We had it trickling... but I guess I will leave it trickling more tonight.

Spanish and French languages are 2 different languages. So are you saying SEE and ASL are completely different from each other and that they do not share same signs?

and why do you rather defer to SEE dictionary than deafies with years of experience in SEE?

Damn good question.

The signs for breakfast, lunch and dinner were just tapping your chin with the letter B, L and D. I have seen 3 different signs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Sunny- The SEE book did not "steer me wrong". I made a simple statement that in SEE, that is how it is signed. Nothing more, nothing less. My statement has now been corroborated by the pictures I provided from the SEE dictionary. I'm not saying that's how anyone has to sign it. All I was saying is that is how it is signed in SEE, which it seems is what Angle was taught.

And, she was taught to tap it. Not circular. She posted specifically so. Don't we now have what, 3 or 4 pages affirming what Angel was taught?

For the upteenth time, I was referring specifically to SEE.

So was I. :wave:

Sigh, anyway, moving on. Angel, I hope you are able to take the advice of those who have been signing for many years and know that your initial post of "tapping your chin with the letter B, L and D" for breakfast, lunch, and dinner was correct in SEE form.

Thinking about how many more pipes will break tonight. The freeze broke one pipe that our hose go to. We had it trickling... but I guess I will leave it trickling more tonight.

that's what I was thinking last nite. what a freak bone-chilling freeze! It was very unexpected and I'm sure many people woke up and found that their pipes have burst or froze.

:cold:

That was what I was wondering.

SEE just continues to be confusing as usual.

Is your house heated?

A pipe broke on Monday leaving us without water for 12 plus hours. Hopefully it wont shut off your water.

B vs b

More than pretty sure she is...so is Breakfast a B in the middle of the chin and bitch on the side of the chin?.....There's no telling what I've been signing to some of my deafie friends....:giggle:

Ok here is my tutors answer. B to chin with fingers straight means breakfast. B to chin with fingers curled a little means bitch. I have learned what Bott said that upper part of face is for male signs, lower for female signs. What do you think of tutors answer? I was satisfied. She explained that in ASL its familiar to people to use as little signing as possible to mean the same word.

Bott, I hope your little dog is OK.

When I took the boys to the bus stop this morning. The temp in the car said it was 18 degrees!!

I am sure many people had geysers in their yard once the pipes thawed. We will have another hard Freeze tonight. Are you still in Florida?

that's what I was thinking last nite. what a freak bone-chilling freeze! It was very unexpected and I'm sure many people woke up and found that their pipes have burst or froze.

:cold:

A pipe broke on Monday leaving us without water for 12 plus hours. Hopefully it wont shut off your water.

was the pipe in your basement?

And, she was taught to tap it. Not circular. She posted specifically so. Don't we now have what, 3 or 4 pages affirming what Angel was taught?

So was I. :wave:

Sigh, anyway, moving on. Angel, I hope you are able to take the advice of those who have been signing for many years and know that your initial post of "tapping your chin with the letter B, L and D" for breakfast, lunch, and dinner was correct in SEE form.

you forgot one more post -

Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner don't really "bounce" off the chin, it's more like a small circular motion just beneath your chin. I should add that everyone has their own personal signing style, but generally speaking those signs don't "bounce" or physically come off the chin (unless you're signing "eat-morning" etc.).

Edit to add: first sentence in this post is in direct response to Angle referring to the "B, L, D" handshapes for the signs which is SEE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back