What are you thinking about? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting...lived with a Puerto Rican and he loved his country. He didn't say much, but he seemed proud of his heritage. I definitely learned something new today through iSign's post.

:roll: yeah, a lot of us Italian-Americans are embarrassed by the Jersey Shore stereotypes.

ah you're Italian? cool.

italian cuisine is my #1 favorite. I have more italian ingredients than asian ingredients at home and I eat more Italian food than Korean food (my least favorite cuisine :ugh: ).

I believe I am an Italian food connoisseur that would rival Italian food critics' tongue. I can easily smell basil from a mile away and tell you if it's good or not :lol:

Most puerto ricans are very proud. The ones that are not and are all about becoming the 51st state ( which I'm against, no offense. ) are what we call "americanized" ( no offense, yet again :giggle: )

And it's cool that you're half italian. Did your family followed italian traditions of some sort? I have two friends who are have italian as well. They tell me that the part of their family that lives in Italy is really arrogant...just cause they are italians O.O lol

PR becoming a 51st really isn't up to "mainland" Americans---at least that's what I think and I don't think dissent is "inappropriate", especially if you live that country :h5:. Yeah, there's a similar sort of phenomenon with Asian cultures with being "Americanized". I think the older the generation since being born in that country, the less they identify themselves with that country and those traditions.

I'm like 5th generation Italian on my Dad's side, and I don't really know my Dad and his family that well (divorced when really young). But my older half-Mexican brother (his dad left my mom young---and I was born 1.5 years later:hmm:) married into a very Italian family (one grandfather made it on a FBI Most Wanted list) a few weeks ago. They have meatballs and pasta for Thanksgiving dinner. There's some other traditions they have but can't remember right now. And yeah, Italians in Italy are super arrogant and it shows in their soccer games. Our house eats a lot of Italian foods though.

ah you're Italian? cool.

italian cuisine is my #1 favorite. I have more italian ingredients than asian ingredients at home and I eat more Italian food than Korean food (my least favorite cuisine :ugh: ).

I believe I am an Italian food connoisseur that would rival Italian food critics' tongue. I can easily smell basil from a mile away and tell you if it's good or not :lol:

I ate Korean once. :iough:

You probably are exposed to a lot of more authentic Italian joints where you live at. In Sacramento, a handful maybe.

Pasta Sauce is actually known as "Gravy".

I refer myself as an "European Mutt" - mostly Italian and Dutch but I'm not really sure. :dunno:

I ate Korean once. :iough:

You probably are exposed to a lot of more authentic Italian joints where you live at. In Sacramento, a handful maybe.

Pasta Sauce is actually known as "Gravy".

Even though there are tons of Italian joints around here.. it is bit hard to find authentic place. Most are just cheap one or phony and then price it high. I have eaten Italian food in Italy. My family didn't enjoy it much but that's too bad :lol:

It is more raw but just different.

PR becoming a 51st really isn't up to "mainland" Americans---at least that's what I think and I don't think dissent is "inappropriate", especially if you live that country :h5:. Yeah, there's a similar sort of phenomenon with Asian cultures with being "Americanized". I think the older the generation since being born in that country, the less they identify themselves with that country and those traditions.

I'm like 5th generation Italian on my Dad's side, and I don't really know my Dad and his family that well (divorced when really young). But my older half-Mexican brother (his dad left my mom young---and I was born 1.5 years later:hmm:) married into a very Italian family (one grandfather made it on a FBI Most Wanted list) a few weeks ago. They have meatballs and pasta for Thanksgiving dinner. There's some other traditions they have but can't remember right now. And yeah, Italians in Italy are super arrogant and it shows in their soccer games. Our house eats a lot of Italian foods though.

I don't know which reasons the "mainland" may have for not wanting it but I don't want to cause it means losing identity. Losing our flag. It just means a lot to me that we are our own. Behind that flag there is a culture so rich it's just amazing how we came to be. A mix of africans, spanish, natives and later on americans when they invaded in 1898. Besides being a minority doesn't help either, racism is still very evident.

:shock: that family history is awesome!!! About the most wanted relative...hmm I'd be totally fascinated if it had been in my family!

Even though there are tons of Italian joints around here.. it is bit hard to find authentic place. Most are just cheap one or phony and then price it high.

Yeah, that's like how it is here plus chain restaurants. There's usually some very expensive and more authentic places to go to and then's the north beach of SF (Italian District). I'm sometimes torn to choose between Japanese/Chinese/Italian when I go to SF.

I have eaten Italian food in Italy. My family didn't enjoy it much but that's too bad :lol:

Your family doesn't realize how lucky they are...that's awesome. My retirement home resides somewhere close to the Sea along the French/Italian border tending to some grape vines.

It is more raw but just different.

My ex insisted on shoving a huge variety of raw foods and uh it didn't end well. I mean, it took me awhile to warm up to Sushi and then it just clicked. Korean, whole different animal. Might have to be baby steps.

I don't know which reasons the "mainland" may have for not wanting it but I don't want to cause it means losing identity. Losing our flag. It just means a lot to me that we are our own. Behind that flag there is a culture so rich it's just amazing how we came to be. A mix of africans, spanish, natives and later on americans when they invaded in 1898. Besides being a minority doesn't help either, racism is still very evident.

Yeah, I wouldn't know of the reasons not to incorporate PR into the US, I mean what would each side gain/lose? And your reasons are precisely why I wouldn't "push" incorporation - disrespecting the culture will happen on some level if the US made a move to incorporate PR. If the current agreement/system is adequate or if y'all are happy about it, then great :)

:shock: that family history is awesome!!! About the most wanted relative...hmm I'd be totally fascinated if it had been in my family!

definitely, I was like how did he get on the list? For heading a Mafia group...oh ok. :shock:<changed subject>

Joe DiMaggio is a great-uncle.

I don't know which reasons the "mainland" may have for not wanting it
let's see..... voted 4x to remain a commonwealth by Puerto Ricans. Most likely cuz they didn't want to pay federal tax and other taxes and I don't blame them! :lol:

and also since Puerto Rico is one of the poorest country in the Caribbean.. it's going to cost us tons of billion dollars and more than a decade to "build" Puerto Rico to be on par with USA's standard - its own government. its own military. etc.

but I don't want to cause it means losing identity. Losing our flag. It just means a lot to me that we are our own. Behind that flag there is a culture so rich it's just amazing how we came to be. A mix of africans, spanish, natives and later on americans when they invaded in 1898. Besides being a minority doesn't help either, racism is still very evident.

oh you don't have to worry about losing your flag. Puerto Rico can still keep its flag and can fly together with American flag - same thing with 50 states. We have both American and state flags.

Joe DiMaggio is a great-uncle.

My friend's related to him - just by association cuz he's adopted so perhaps you are related to his family? :dunno:

The highway in NYC that I commute everyday is named after him - DiMaggio Highway :) ..... aka West Side Highway... aka 9A.... aka Henry Hudson Highway.... aka Hudson Parkway.... :roll:

I use either "Hudson Parkway" or "West Side Highway" depending on who I'm talking to. if I ever die on that highway due to accident or whatever... I think they should rename it to Jiro Highway because I've driven on that road since 1983 :lol:

thinking about how long is the insurance is going to answer my questions through emails. I really don't want to go through the phone route as a third party can have access to my personal information.

wondering when we're going to have claims adjuster come and assess damage to backyard shed, house roof and gate due to large main fallen limb of tree from windstorm here over past couple days. And when are the tree people getting here?

wondering when we're going to have claims adjuster come and assess damage to backyard shed, house roof and gate due to large main fallen limb of tree from windstorm here over past couple days. And when are the tree people getting here?

Sorry about your tree. And hope your house roof wasn't too badly damaged.

I just got up and have been afraid to try to step out and look to see if we have any damage this time,

:ty: Bott, yup, I'm sorry too - the tree doesn't look too badly damaged but we need to have it assessed for further danger as it's over the garage and with winter coming too.
hope you do not find any damage at your place!:aw:

I'm thinking that I hope we don't have more rain today or tomorrow. We need to get the windows completed on the house. MIL had to get new homeowner's insurance since she was dropped from the old company due to the age of her house. The new insurance will not cover a lot of things she thought and she is not happy. It's the only company she could find to insure this house.

I am thinking of quitting time :lol: Got a couple of hours to go.

I am now thinking I better get to the store. Want to get it over with before school lets out and the roads are taken over by the kids.

wildhunt - one thing yesterday, camera company damaged my camera more and now charging me for that--blaming it on shippers and saying shipping is not their responsiblity....red flag. my camera is my SECOND child. so ticked off.
ah you're Italian? cool.

:shock:...and you hate alfredo pasta. and cheese. italy's all about mozzarella!

liar, you're not a shark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back