What Are You Reading Right now?

I am pretty tough study on book I have php and complication not easy crap heavy I addiction on php and complication :lol:

what is php?

And is it worth trying to speed read? I spent couple hours at Barnes & Nobles (Love it! full of endless interesting books) and saw a book, Breakthrough Rapid Reading , read the "introduction" and looked great, but I checked out other books at the time, so...

Read a bit of Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory and was bit hooked. Was wondering how you hum "Baa Baa Black Sheep". "Baa Baa" has a same pitch and "Black Sheep" has a bit higher pitch, which would be a "standard" tuning method for your instruments to have the exact "pitch" jump between notes. And in a musical group, all instruments have to be playing the same notes, otherwise it would sound messy (...like I would know! :roll:).

Anyone tried learning into music theory or something? I swear I read an section for one late deafened musician in this one book. He could still make music for anyone to listen to as he understood how it works and memorized it when making music according to his mind. Think the book was How Music Works.

Great trip to Barnes & Noble today for sure! :)

Looks like we got some lurkers that check out what everyone else is reading instead of taking time to read something themselves.:lol:

I am currently re-reading Jane Austin's Emma. Let's see how that pops up in another thread.:giggle:

:hmm:
Looks like we got some lurkers that check out what everyone else is reading instead of taking time to read something themselves.:lol:

I am currently re-reading Jane Austin's Emma. Let's see how that pops up in another thread.:giggle:

Is this about psychology?

I am reading a science fiction book called Invasion. It's basically like a kid's favorite comic book is real.

It was cheap from Amazon...

I am re-reading Little Women and will move to Jo's Boys next.

:hmm:

Is this about psychology?

I am reading a science fiction book called Invasion. It's basically like a kid's favorite comic book is real.

It was cheap from Amazon...

No, it isn't. Pure pleasure reading. However, it could be considered a study in psychology the way that Austin develops her characters and reasons their behaviors.

I enjoy science fiction, but I have to be in the mood for it.

I am re-reading Little Women and will move to Jo's Boys next.

Little Women was my favorite as a girl. I was just talking to my neice about it as she is 10 this year, and I read it the first time when I was 10 over the summer.

Right now I'm reading The Grand Design co-authored by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.

what is php?

And is it worth trying to speed read? I spent couple hours at Barnes & Nobles (Love it! full of endless interesting books) and saw a book, Breakthrough Rapid Reading , read the "introduction" and looked great, but I checked out other books at the time, so...

Read a bit of Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory and was bit hooked. Was wondering how you hum "Baa Baa Black Sheep". "Baa Baa" has a same pitch and "Black Sheep" has a bit higher pitch, which would be a "standard" tuning method for your instruments to have the exact "pitch" jump between notes. And in a musical group, all instruments have to be playing the same notes, otherwise it would sound messy (...like I would know! :roll:).

Anyone tried learning into music theory or something? I swear I read an section for one late deafened musician in this one book. He could still make music for anyone to listen to as he understood how it works and memorized it when making music according to his mind. Think the book was How Music Works.

Great trip to Barnes & Noble today for sure! :)

Speed-reading is a great help if you need to get through a lot of material for information. I read a bit more slowly if I'm also reading for style, but generally I'm a very fast reader.

Re: music theory: I studied that a bit when I was a teenager, and enjoyed it a lot, and liked composing music. I was actually better at theory and composition than I was at playing piano, since I have double-jointed finger tips and my fingers would sometimes "lock up" on a run. (Those of you with double joints know what I'm talking about.) It's fascinating studying chord progressions and transitions and learning how to weave melodies through the music in different ways.

What I learned then still helps me appreciate the elements in music to this day. One of my criteria for how much I like a given pair of HAs is how good they are in helping me to hear music correctly.

Beethoven was certainly no shabby theorist; he was stone deaf when he wrote some of his greatest masterpieces. His knowledge of theory certainly was a large part of his ability.
-----------------

What I've been reading (on my new, handy-dandy, Nook): "Come Back, Como: Winning the Heart of a Reluctant Dog" Come Back, Como - Winning the Heart of a Reluctant Dog

Charming book and eventually had some good insights into canine psychology, but man, there were points when I wanted to slap him silly for being such an idiotic pet owner, early on (partly with the dog, but also with other pets before he got this dog). The center section of the book was intense and heart-breaking. It read to me like he took a long break after writing that part and coming back to write the final few chapters.

and "Baby, We were meant for each other: In praise of adoption" by Scott Simon. Really sweet book and very interesting insights into adoption.

Finished those on a long car trip. Now I'm moving on to "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival," which is excellent. Next will be "The Americans: The Democratic Experience," by Daniel Boorstin, and then "Churchill" by Paul Johnson. I love Johnson's writing; certainly one of the best historians writing today.

Sort of a strange reading list, but that's what happened when I was browing the library's list of books available in epub format (for Nook) that were available for check-out.

Also want to read "Reckless Endangerment: How Outsized Ambition, Greed and Corruption Led to Economic Armaggedon." Probably will have to read on paper; it's not out in epub format yet.

------------

To those reading "Water for Elephants" - how are you liking it? I just finished reading it (in the old-fashioned, books on paper way) and liked it a lot. The writer clearly did a lot of research about circuses of the era before writing it.

Have just finished 4 books over the last 2 days. Now I am out of fresh books from the library. Will go back to some of the old ones. I might re-read the Night World series.

Being a grad student, my world is consumed by textbooks :thumbd:

I did, however, just finish Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. I'd really recommend it. It's quite odd, but once you get past that, it's got some fascinating ideas.

123542.jpg

This book?
different compare health skills words him word explain role

then I am pretty sound reading lots of history! I know! I assurance to figure out pretty lots of complication not easy reason hard words! I mind my deaf cousellor support teach lots of me cope! good advise

I'm reading a biography (actually a series of interviews with assorted contributions from other people) of a comic writer called Alan Moore. He's most famous for writing the graphic novels Watchmen and V for Vendetta.
extraordinary-works-alan-moore-indispensable-edition-george-khoury-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Last edited:
Back