What are Job Opportunities for Deaf

Vortec

Reaction score
What the title says, whats the most common areas of work for those with HOH and deaf?. I've been looking for work for years and haven't gotton by the interview stage because of my hearing or lack of.

Don't know but most seem to be connected to the Deaf schools. Government type work (Post Office being one). I know of at least one disability awareness company that hired my friend.

You'll find Deaf in just about every line of work. I do understand your frustration though- I've been there but have still been able to get jobs in the IT field. Just a little harder this time with the added bonus of 'age' along with my other two 'unique' factors lol.

Good luck.

I know the electrical utility industry is always looking for design technicians. Some are entry level. Unless I'm mistaken a hearing disability wouldn't prevent someone from doing that job. :D

Although i'd rather be working i now have to apply for Ontario Disability Punishment program to pay bills, i've pretty much given looking for work and after having struggled to get my University degree i have nothing to show for it.
From my research no levels of Gov't of Canada has hired any Deaf or HoH individuals, including post office

bieng deaf is no sure bet re odsb. Most Deafies are not on it. For bieng Deaf those who Are wil have another disability, vision or addiction. Mental is a good way, after all they cant really proove you dont sign to elvis right??... so unless u have another plm, hh, or Deaf, for odsb these days is slim. Depending on region. I even know Deafies being kicked off after years of gov support. With nothing...just your off...tough....
Odsb if u look it close, seems to wish its money go to drug addicts rather then Deaf..guess the story goes hh orb Deaf wont be robbing the gas station.for aids, a junkie will for junk, so a fat odsb check is harm reduction for soceity...so on...thus is the logic of most odsb workers....it seems...
Good luck.
Its a few year process unless your fast tracked in. I dont recomend it. Every Deafie ive known on it, has crushed soul....it will will pay the bills....but thats it...no room to really improve yourself, unless its under thr table or in crime....your better of moving.to w bigger town for work then bieng chained re odsb.
Work is wll over ...
If your town doesnt have it...go to where there is...

Tech gets allot of Deafies..(and no im not in tech)....in regards to vortec...
What did you get your degree in?
having a degree wont help you with odsb...it will hurt your claim..
Now
Not.bing able to read, being illiterete will help your claim
its best for is Deaf not to be on disability....

Before Internet, Newspapers were a great job for Deafies. Lots of noise in print shops, especially in the Press Rooms....Linotype & Teletype machines...clicking away...When we converted to Laser Printing, it quieted down a lot. The "big plus" was reading and education, I learned so much. And in big cities, the pay was awesome...all the overtime you wanted.

I've read where the best jobs now are in Health Care....Hospitals, Nursing Homes, etc. The pay isn't great tho'.

Being retired...I wouldn't have any iota where to "go back to work". And if I did, it most likely would be minimum wage.

I've been on ODSP, Ontario Disability Punishment program before and have to now re-apply, i agree its not the way to go, but i've given up beaten myself up over not getting any meaningful work past 10 years. My degree is in Social Science graduated 9 years ago at age 42, didn't help me one bit other than relieving me of all my savings.

I've been on ODSP, Ontario Disability Punishment program before and have to now re-apply, i agree its not the way to go, but i've given up beaten myself up over not getting any meaningful work past 10 years. My degree is in Social Science graduated 9 years ago at age 42, didn't help me one bit other than relieving me of all my savings.

Sad, I agree!...This economy has been really hard on everyone...but don't give up!

@RR , yeah with the baby boomers getting older there is going to a great demand of home care for them. I was a health aide and the company I worked for hired a few women that were hoh beside me.
The training was not that long too. I was hired at my first interview .

Its allot harder to get bwck on, then to first get accePted. Just because you once were, doesnt mean squat.
I have personaly known grand father cases ( decades on odsb), and were kicked off for visisting famly outside the provence, even though this person was supported for 25 years by it...
Sfter the re applicationthey said literally too bad...your on your own..
Anyway.
trust me. Its allot harder to re apply and be accepted..
For Deaf..
Addicts get fast tracked on easy....

My fiancee works for a manufactory and does the orders for the furniture they build. He may be deaf but he seems to be sociable enough to make good friendships with everyone at his work. Plus he has a part time job on the weekends working at a hotel and doing maintence work there and he always is getting good reviews from people he has helped and his hotel gives him giftcards for the such good work and reviews. I am really proud of how he doesn't allow his deafness to hold him back. I know FedEx hires deaf people too around here.

Sign language interpreter , Technician, IT such as software or web developer and programmer , Machine operator , ASL Tutor & Artist

Dentist. I am the deaf one, but I have the impression dentists never listen to me.... they just put you fill a form and expect you open your mouth. If you want to speak, they know already what you have to say. Hence, I find dentistry a good fit for deaf people.

Dentist. I am the deaf one, but I have the impression dentists never listen to me.... they just put you fill a form and expect you open your mouth. If you want to speak, they know already what you have to say. Hence, I find dentistry a good fit for deaf people.

This is a most amusing commentary on the empathic capacity of dentists.

Look into those jobs in health care. Go for medical billing and coding jobs. They're in demand.

This is a most amusing commentary on the empathic capacity of dentists.

I appeared with hearing loss when I turned 20. Had I appeared with hearing loss when I turned 18, I would have been more lucky cause I would chose dentistry (abroad you don't need BA prior you chose medical school and, definitely, you aren't going to pay 200k to become a dentist) or any other degree program that would not need hearing at all. At my 20 I was already in college and step by step I was discovering that I did a mistake, through having chosen a program that needed verbal/hearing skills.

I appeared with hearing loss when I turned 20. Had I appeared with hearing loss when I turned 18, I would have been more lucky cause I would chose dentistry (abroad you don't need BA prior you chose medical school and, definitely, you aren't going to pay 200k to become a dentist) or any other degree program that would not need hearing at all. At my 20 I was already in college and step by step I was discovering that I did a mistake, through having chosen a program that needed verbal/hearing skills.

How did that turn out for you?

I did look into being an orthodontist for somewhat similar reasons, but decided that the profession just wasn't my thing.

How did that turn out for you?

13 years have passed, I never found a good position and I have been isolated from ppl, cause I am given jobs where interaction is not necessary. When I have free time I write (and I hope one day to see money coming from my creativity :)

I really wish you were more lucky than me with career and people :)

13 years have passed, I never found a good position and I have been isolated from ppl, cause I am given jobs where interaction is not necessary. When I have free time I write (and I hope one day to see money coming from my creativity :)

I really wish you were more lucky than me with career and people :)

I have been, but I've also had a different set of challenges. I knew the glass ceiling was going to be a problem, so I instinctively went the entrepreneur route.

The challenge with that, of course, is that there isn't much of a short term payoff while you learn the ropes and make a bunch of mistakes. So I had a few head-against-the-wall sessions. You know, the kind where Ramen was a luxury.

But I stuck with it, and the payoff is mounting rapidly now. I am a millennial, so there are decades and decades of payoff ahead that came with the short growing period.

Rock on with the writing. I love creative minds. :) What do you do now for work, if I may ask?

Back