What advice for college?

Heath said:
Thank you to all of you and please keep the advice coming. I am gonna need all the advice and help I can get so college will go smoothly. This also benefits another people looking for advice on going to college too. Thank you and God Bless :) :thumb:

1. Get in touch with the disabilities office soon before starting class.

2. Get note taker requests lined up, so all the professor/instructors have the letter to announce in class the first day. Request your notes IMMEDIATELY or ASAP after the class.

3. Also, sit close.

4. After you have registered, contact each professor/instructor individually via e-mail, introducing yourself to them; they will be happy that you did.

5. Stay on schedule in all your readings and assignments for every class. Don't turn in any work late unless it is approved (some profs will not accept late work).

6. Take notes yourself in addition to note taker and ask your own questions.

7. Finally, request your exams be taken in a quiet area , not in the classroom with your classmates.

8. DO NOT WEAR A HAT, AS ON EXAM DAY, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO TURN IT AROUND SO THE BILL IS AT THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD (PREVENTS CHEATING).

9. If you are having problems in a particular class, e-mail the professor as primary, and the disabilties office gets the cc, not the other way around.

10. After you have received a note taker in each class, go over and introduce yourself to him/her. The disabilities office will make sure that they are taking good notes and there are no "doodles" that some do on the side of their note books. If you can't read their handwriting, say so.

pek1 said:
7. Finally, request your exams be taken in a quiet area , not in the classroom with your classmates.

If you dont mind me asking, why do some deaf people request to take the exams in a seperate room? I mean its "quiet" for us anyways, so whats the point of taking it in a quiet room? Just wondering.

pek1 said:

1. Get in touch with the disabilities office soon before starting class.
2...10 [snip!]
What? No provision for ensuring reasonable accommodations such as an interpreter, CART, etc.? Your laundry list sure makes me glad I went to Gally! :lol:

All kidding aside, good advice! My main piece of advice is that it's very competitive out there in the academic setting, even for undergraduate studies. That means you'll have to work hard and earn your grades! I sure didn't at Gally.

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet, though that may just be lack of reading carefully. If it has been, apologies. If not, *thumbs up* for me!

Get to know your professors. Not only can schmoozing help your grade (some professors will bump up your grade if they detect a genuine interest in learning from you), but getting to know your professors on a personal level can help you in the future. They can write letters of recommendations, make phone calls, etc.

I've only been in college for a year and a half (going back in the fall!), but I got to be friends with a professor in my department. When I left school she got me my first interpreting job without even going in for an interview, but she's helped me look for other jobs as well. Plus, she used to pay me to help her come up with presentations for her class, and to do research with her. :thumb:

ayala920 said:
I haven't seen this one mentioned yet, though that may just be lack of reading carefully. If it has been, apologies. If not, *thumbs up* for me!

Get to know your professors. Not only can schmoozing help your grade (some professors will bump up your grade if they detect a genuine interest in learning from you), but getting to know your professors on a personal level can help you in the future. They can write letters of recommendations, make phone calls, etc.

I've only been in college for a year and a half (going back in the fall!), but I got to be friends with a professor in my department. When I left school she got me my first interpreting job without even going in for an interview, but she's helped me look for other jobs as well. Plus, she used to pay me to help her come up with presentations for her class, and to do research with her. :thumb:

YES, this is a good advice! I cant believe noone, including me, has said this. This is probably one of the most important advice for college.

Honestly, the first and foremost thing I'd say is this: your GPA really does matter, so do the best you can. When you graduate, employers will look at your GPA and they will make hiring decisions based on that. It is okay if your grades are not perfect. The better they are, though, the better off you'll likely be.

I find that silly, I hate when employers HIRE illegal immigrants over US citizens that have worked hard. My friend never went to college and he got a job as a web master at a photo company in California. Consider that lucky!

hootster said:
If you dont mind me asking, why do some deaf people request to take the exams in a seperate room? I mean its "quiet" for us anyways, so whats the point of taking it in a quiet room? Just wondering.

No one around, getting up when they're finished with exam . . . no distractions.

Make friends! They'll keep you sane, provide encouragement and be around for support :)

Back