Went deaf because of physical abuse.

Dan Bacchiocchi

Reaction score
I need some advice. I have no money. My father smacked my ears very hard a lot of times when i was around 16. I then started losing my hearing. It took a long time to lose the hearing though. I want to sue him and put him in jail for a long time. He tried a long time ago to explain to me that he thought he was going to lose his son. He even cried. He is a fucking coward for not telling me i started to lose my hearing because of his abuse. How do i do this if i have no money?

I need some advice. I have no money. My father smacked my ears very hard a lot of times when i was around 16. I then started losing my hearing. It took a long time to lose the hearing though. I want to sue him and put him in jail for a long time. He tried a long time ago to explain to me that he thought he was going to lose his son. He even cried. He is a fucking coward for not telling me i started to lose my hearing because of his abuse. How do i do this if i have no money?
You don't. There is no proof of why you lost hearing.

Check with Legal Aid....or find a Lawyer who will take the case pro bono....

Even if you could prove it, you're way beyond the statute of limitations. Sorry. :(

Pretty certain the OP has multiple account.. the guy with a long profanity rant about relationships and other stuffs...

There are different lawyers for different things you can look one up or call a random lawyer ask about a lawyer when do that lawyer you choose will tell what you need that will help prove he did it but not much prove your case would be difficult so as you search also get paper work or anything to help your case

Have you applied SSI? If you receive Medicaid so you could get CI to restore the hearing.

Have you applied SSI? If you receive Medicaid so you could get CI to restore the hearing.

I have two CI's. Its aweful. Its like my parents planned on abusing me so i would lose my hearing. I had normal hearing all my life. The even renamed me and my brothers so we would be named something that sounds like when i had rheumatoid arthritis.

My parents deserve to be put in jail for life. I'm sure it bothered my brothers all their life too.

I have SSI. I have contacted a few lawyers. They haven't replied.

if you have SSI. That would be great if you check out with Voc. Reh to see if they can help you to return to school. So you can complete your degree from school and then get a job. Otherwise, the lawyer and court, I do not know what to say, but good luck.

There is no proof of why you lost hearing.

You don't know that. Usually doctors are pretty good at assessing what happened.
If there was a hard hit to the ear, most likely the drums exploded causing HL - it can be visible, thus apparent as to cause.

As for the statue of limitations - again it depends on the case, I think.
Anyhoo, it is worth trying. If contacting some lawyers is not fruitful, then OP needs to make an appointment with Legal Aid in person
and then show up for set up appointment. And proceed from there..

Fuzzy

Dan, if you don't mind me asking - have you ever received therapy for your what you've been through?

You might want to change your location in your profile... it makes you difficult to take seriously :confused:

I speak from experience when I say that it is very difficult to prove that your parents did this to you and to sue them for it. You can likely get proof that you were beaten into deafness but, if you are an adult (which it very much looks like you are), you will probably have a very hard time finding any kind of proof of this happening that would stand up in court. You would need witnesses other than your father and some kind of evidence to back up your story. Evidence from the doctor would be extremely helpful but, at least in the US, the law is not on your side especially since you say this happened a long time ago. The law does not care if your father cried or if he is a coward-- it cares about the hard facts.

Your best bet is to, of course, still try to get legal help. Definitely consult with several lawyers before settling on one and let them know of your financial situation up front so that you don't waste each other's time.
Think about this realistically, though: you've waited a long time and the statute of limitations for abuse is horrifyingly short. I was outside of it by 2 months with my police report and only got a snide "why did you wait so long" in reply. You also have circumstantial evidence that may or may not be able to be backed by medical evidence. So you will have to prepare yourself to possibly not get anything out of this at all. And the lawyers you speak to will be thinking that exact same thing too.

You definitely need to seek counselling for this. A lot of children are beaten and abused and nothing is done about it. If your father is still in your life you might want to think about how damaging that could be to your psyche. Try out different therapists until you find one whom you like. Getting a second or third or fourth opinion before settling on your therapist is very important. If you do not like your therapist you won't get very far with him or her. Make sure that you feel comfortable enough to open up to this person or at least to the idea of opening up to them in the future once trust has been established.

Good luck,
Soul

I have two CI's. Its aweful. Its like my parents planned on abusing me so i would lose my hearing. I had normal hearing all my life. The even renamed me and my brothers so we would be named something that sounds like when i had rheumatoid arthritis.

My parents deserve to be put in jail for life. I'm sure it bothered my brothers all their life too.

I have SSI. I have contacted a few lawyers. They haven't replied.

Have you not spoken to your brothers about this? This seems like something that they would be able to help you with. They will certainly be needed on your side if they witnessed the beatings you took.

When you contact a lawyer it is best to stick to the facts and to not get too emotional. Lawyers are very busy and most, even with assistants, don't have time to pick through an email in order to find out exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Keep it short and to the point and you will get more replies.

I do not understand what you mean when you say that you and your brothers were renamed to "sound like when I had rheumatoid arthritis". Did they legally change your names to sound odd? You cannot be cured of rheumatoid arthritis so it is very confusing to say that you "had" RA. If this is an important part of your narrative then it would behoove you to explain it a bit better rather than glossing over it in an oddly broken sentence.

Best of luck to you,

Soul

Sucks but letting go of that anger is something you need to do and you are now an adult and move on with your life . Sucks they did this but how do you prove it

Back