Well, everyone else have fun....

Rick's point was that Elliot's dad expressed his feelings and experience with AllDeaf and was told that he was wrong, and that isn't the truth. Rick found it to be ironic because that is what deaf people say that hearing people do to them everytime we post.

I miss the the beginning part, but still....

Rick's point was that Elliot's dad expressed his feelings and experience with AllDeaf and was told that he was wrong, and that isn't the truth. Rick found it to be ironic because that is what deaf people say that hearing people do to them everytime we post.

Thanks, FJ glad you get it but as you stated earlier some people are just nasty and souggy, and bott are perfect examples. If I cared what they thought of me then perhaps it would matter.
Rick

Thanks, FJ glad you get it but as you stated earlier some people are just nasty and souggy, and bott are perfect examples. If I cared what they thought of me then perhaps it would matter.
Rick

umad?

Rick

Are you saying it's a bit of jealousy (I need a better word here) for like every response deafies make back to the hearies?

Perhaps you're right. perhaps you're wrong, but I bet all here would want Elliot's Dad to stay here and try again...

Everyone has their opinions, but Elliot thought most of them were negativity against CI and finds no point in staying here.

Last edited:
oops, sorry Bott, to be more clear....I'll still be lurking around the site in general, mainly the "Parenting" and "Deaf Education" subforums (I still like to read everyones opinion) I just wont be reading or posting in the Anti "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants" subforum
I haven't really noticed a lot of anti HA and CI sentiment here You get that with a TON of sites. It's a lot better then it was ten or even five years ago.....
You might want to check out the American Society for Deaf Children and their listserv
American Society for Deaf Children and https://listserv.kent.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=PARENTDEAF-HH
Also, maybe post in the other forums.

Dear Elliott's dad, I am sorry you had to go through that, I feel same as a CI user (2 years/profound since birth/33 now) and I am 3/4's immersed into the deaf community due to teaching at school, voluntary work with deaf kids, I sign and speak fluently. Now, on AD, I don't know what to say most of the time, who to back. I have been coming here less and less.... posted alot less in this section because all I knew there would be a lot of debating going on.

I remember back in 1996, fresh out of oral deaf school, I went to deaf pub, to the people in the pub decided that I don't belong there, I was there only 5 mins, how on earth they can judge me so quickly.... why... I wasn't signing, I was talking, so what, I am deaf like them, it doesn't matter what language I use, they could lipread, I couldn't, but I made the effort to lipread them, however, they didn't bother to involve me. When I began to sign more fluently (remembering the langauage from childhood) but I wasn't signing fast enough for them, I still don't belong there... why.... I went to oral deaf school... So what, I didn't choose to go there... but I am glad I did as it gave me the education I needed. So, I never went back.

For many years during my 20's, I had no identity, I wasn't sure who I am, but now I do... I am ME as a person who happen to be deaf and do have the best of BOTH worlds. I don't know if I am culturaly deaf as there is a lot of criteria for it... so I don't care to be honest, if those people shun me, that's their loss, my gain as I really know what they are like and wouldn't want to be their buddy.

Now days it's much better as I work along with late deafen people, born deaf, early implantees (implanted as 3 years old now in adulthood), implantees as adult(born deaf, implanted as adult) deaf people who can't have implants or doesn't want them, BSL users and we all get on well, there is no mention of deafness/implants/BSL/what school we went, we were being ourselves.

This what it feels like on here.... I thought I would find common ground, a place to find answers... how wrong I am... I am not surprised that many people had left.

Well, Elliott's dad, All the best of luck with Elliott and I think you are a rock for him, he will have the best possible upbringing. Take care for now.

Deafdyke, IMO this is no better than what I had experienced 5-10 years ago.

Heh... A thread for the attention - something that usually happens here.. Well, G'bye Elliot's dad. See ya soon.

Heh... A thread for the attention - something that usually happens here.. Well, G'bye Elliot's dad. See ya soon.

Really? Re-read the OP and tell me exactly what you just stated makes sense.
I looked for and found this site to get some info, but it seems to be dominated by anti-HA anti-Ci folk who just look for any opportunity to voice their opinion on why not to get one. Which is fine, I respect that, we all have our opinions. I just thought that a "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants" forum would be a place for people to ask questions and receive answers on "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants", not to be pummeled with the often repeated Anti-HA and Anti-CI diatribe that seems to pervade this forum.

Honestly, I thought this would be an "inclusive" community rather than the "exclusive" one it seems to be.
IMO, you and a few others walk around these AD forums like alpha-males just pissing on everyone elses threads marking territory, not responding to the pertinent subject matter at all.

Seems to me you should start a website/forum called "SOMEdeaf", or "PFHdeaf", and leave "ALLDEAF" to people with varying opinions.

Every forum has its quirks. AD is pretty much the only site alive compared to other deaf communities out there.

The trolling, arguing and bossing around is mild here compared to other (non deaf) sites I've seen. Ubiquitous posters, narcissistic "Me, myself and I" posters, Parody threads, PLANNED trolling as each post was a consecutive troll until the posters realized they were shammed. The combinations are endless but one thing is always certain - the larger a community is, expect more resistance and conflicts in thoughts.

Only thing you can expect is to ignore it and move on if it bothers you.

Really? Re-read the OP and tell me exactly what you just stated makes sense.

IMO, you and a few others walk around these AD forums like alpha-males just pissing on everyone elses threads marking territory, not responding to the pertinent subject matter at all.

Seems to me you should start a website/forum called "SOMEdeaf", or "PFHdeaf", and leave "ALLDEAF" to people with varying opinions.

I thought this thread was about you leaving and resorting to lurking... Not about me starting a forum, but thanks for singling me out as an alpha male. Was a compliment I never expected.

Every forum has its quirks. AD is pretty much the only site alive compared to other deaf communities out there.

The trolling, arguing and bossing around is mild here compared to other (non deaf) sites I've seen. Ubiquitous posters, narcissistic "Me, myself and I" posters, Parody threads, PLANNED trolling as each post was a consecutive troll until the posters realized they were shammed. The combinations are endless but one thing is always certain - the larger a community is, expect more resistance and conflicts in thoughts.

Only thing you can expect is to ignore it and move on if it bothers you.

This community, in my opinion, is the one of the biggest Deaf community I could ever find on the "Internatz" and I expected a community like this to not have all but some trolls lurking around.

Just ignore if you don't like or just play along with them. Stay :deaf:

I'm not anti-CI by any means. But I am anti-misinformation, which happens A LOT when it comes to information regarding CI.

I'm not anti-CI by any means. But I am anti-misinformation, which happens A LOT when it comes to information regarding CI.

It is clear that you aren't anti-CI :D

I agree with you about the misinformation piece, I just think we have different opinions as to what misinformation is out there.

i am not anti-CI or HA. but being deaf myself i feel i have earned the right to poke fun at CI and HA people. sorta like blacks feeling it is fine to call each other "niger" but they will go ballistic if a white dude says the same thing. if you are outside the culture and looking in -ie; hearing- then you are going to miss the history and cultural acceptance that calls one deaf different from another deaf.

i am not anti-CI or HA. but being deaf myself i feel i have earned the right to poke fun at CI and HA people. sorta like blacks feeling it is fine to call each other "niger" but they will go ballistic if a white dude says the same thing. if you are outside the culture and looking in -ie; hearing- then you are going to miss the history and cultural acceptance that calls one deaf different from another deaf.

Not all blacks resent a white calling them a "nigga'"...(that's "nigga", NOT "niggar".....depends if ur their "dawg" (friend/homie)....as for blacks calling whites "cracker"...(an insult).....but if a Black calls a white "nigga" also, it's meant as being a "friend" or their "dawg"......that's another issue! From what I've gathered thru the years, whenever a white makes a "bad" comment about a "Niggar" it's usually meant an insult, and if they are called "African-Blacks" or just "Blacks" it's to deciper the race for identity issue. Same as for Mexicans being called a "spic'" (an insult).

It is clear that you aren't anti-CI :D

I agree with you about the misinformation piece, I just think we have different opinions as to what misinformation is out there.

Why the smiley? How in the WORLD could you know firsthand what a CI does???

Why the smiley? How in the WORLD could you know firsthand what a CI does???

Because as a parent of a child with a ci she is in a unique position to observe daily the impact that a cochlear implant can have upon someone's life and she also has a unique advantage of having a definitive frame of reference to which she can measure the cochlear implant effect upon her child.

Apart from implant users themselves and perhaps spouses of implant users, she has more firsthand experience observing what a cochlear implant does.

BTW what is your experience with cochlear implants that gives you the belief that you have the right to question her's or anyone else's for that matter?
Rick

Because as a parent of a child with a ci she is in a unique position to observe daily the impact that a cochlear implant can have upon someone's life and she also has a unique advantage of having a definitive frame of reference to which she can measure the cochlear implant effect upon her child.

Apart from implant users themselves and perhaps spouses of implant users, she has more firsthand experience observing what a cochlear implant does.

BTW what is your experience with cochlear implants that gives you the belief that you have the right to question her's or anyone else's for that matter?
Rick

Ummm, we were talking about first-hand knowledge and misinformation. Being a parent or friend of the CI user does not give first-hand knowledge, so one can see how misinformation can develop. I am sure FJ is doing a fine job with her child, but it is still early in the game.
As for myself, I have talked with hundreds of CI users but do not allow myself to make any judgments about them. No biggie.

Last edited:
Ummm, we were talking about first-hand knowledge and misinformation. Being a parent or friend of the CI user does not give first-hand knowledge, so one can see how misinformation can develop. I am sure FJ is doing a fine job with her child, but it is still early in the game.
As for myself, I have talked with hundreds of CI users but do not allow myself to make any judgments about them. No biggie.

As a deaf mother of a hearing child, I know what works for my hearing child. He needs ASL so he can fit in with the Deaf community. :lol:

As a deaf mother of a hearing child, I know what works for my hearing child. He needs ASL so he can fit in with the Deaf community. :lol:

Yes, but you do not have first-hand knowledge of what it is like to be hearing. Your son does. But I am sure you will let him decide which world he wants to join.

Back