Well, everyone else have fun....

Yea, I used to participate in the political threads but it has been run over by the conservatives making me lose interest in them. I guess that's how the OP feels about the CI threads. I guess there needs to be a healthy balance of both whether it is political or HAs/CIs. I thought several threads in the HA/CI subforums were mostly about the working mechanisms of CIs, costs of parts, and etc..no arguments. Guess I was wrong.

I think it's a matter of perspective; you (general "you") tend to ignore people whose voices are similar to yours and focus on the ones who are different.

I think it's a matter of perspective; you (general "you") tend to ignore people whose voices are similar to yours and focus on the ones who are different.

Can you clarify? :ty:

Let say you live in a city that is 50% white, 50% black... equally. Who are you going to notice more when you grew up in a white family, despite the fact the population is split equally in half?

Let say you live in a city that is 50% white, 50% black... equally. Who are you going to notice more when you grew up in a white family, despite the fact the population is split equally in half?

Oh true. Interesting point. :hmm:

I looked for and found this site to get some info, but it seems to be dominated by anti-HA anti-Ci folk who just look for any opportunity to voice their opinion on why not to get one. Which is fine, I respect that, we all have our opinions. I just thought that a "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants" forum would be a place for people to ask questions and receive answers on "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants", not to be pummeled with the often repeated Anti-HA and Anti-CI diatribe that seems to pervade this forum.

Honestly, I thought this would be an "inclusive" community rather than the "exclusive" one it seems to be.

Best of luck to you and your son. Will keep him in my prayers next month. Glad that you got over to the ci circle as it really is the better place to be. Sorry that your experiences here were not more positive but I understand exactly what you are saying.
Good luck,
Rick

I think most of us are not anti-HA or anti-CI, but I can't speak for all. The majority of us on this board are from an entirely different generation than your young son. Different methods were used, different terminology, different perspectives. I am not a member of the CI circle as I do not have a CI, but I have seen that site, you could also check out deafread as well.

Funny, but when several of us parents have said the exact same thing we have been accused of putting down deaf people and discrediting their experiences.
Rick

Big difference being pro-something and being anti-something.

If I say "rah, rah ASL" I'm not denigrating any other philosophy. Unless I do it out of context. Out of context, cheerleading a philosophy in the midst of a discussion about another is like butting your head into a conversation between two Red Sox fans running through the lineup and shouting "Let's go, Yaaaankees."

GrendelQ,

It is always appropriate to shout "Let's go Yankees"!
:)
Rick

Funny, but when several of us parents have said the exact same thing we have been accused of putting down deaf people and discrediting their experiences.
Rick

Oftentimes when we share our experiences, we get told by the parents "well, that's not how it is .." or "no, no, no ...." Some parents have objected to our use/understanding of practices, methods as were part of our generation (as I said in my post). Not everything is the same today, and what was important to us back then may have a different meaning to parents today, and there's no reason these parents have to take offense and argue at how we used them as we know/knew them to be. I see you're not that frequent of a poster, so you may have missed on some of this.

Oftentimes when we share our experiences, we get told by the parents "well, that's not how it is .." or "no, no, no ...." Some parents have objected to our use/understanding of practices, methods as were part of our generation (as I said in my post). Not everything is the same today, and what was important to us back then may have a different meaning to parents today, and there's no reason these parents have to take offense and argue at how we used them as we know/knew them to be. I see you're not that frequent of a poster, so you may have missed on some of this.

Not going to get into a back and forth with you as that is exactly what Elliot's Dad was citing as one of the problems with this forum.
Rick

GrendelQ,

It is always appropriate to shout "Let's go Yankees"!
:)
Rick

Sure it is :eek3:. I sure learned my lesson the first time a girlfriend and I showed up at Fenway, as former New Yorkers attending a Yankees game, of course we wore our old Yankees jerseys :).

Not going to get into a back and forth with you as that is exactly what Elliot's Dad was citing as one of the problems with this forum.
Rick

If this is exactly what he is talking about then wow. just wow.

but I doubt it.

He was talking about negativity toward HAs and CIs

Sure it is :eek3:. I sure learned my lesson the first time a girlfriend and I showed up at Fenway, as former New Yorkers attending a Yankees game, of course we wore our old Yankees jerseys :).

Bad mistake, you always have to be extra careful when you are behind enemy lines!

My nephew, against my admonitions, wore his Yankee jersey to Fenway and after getting pelted with beer, food and language that would make a sailor blush the cops threw him out after the 8th inning. They told him that first it was easier to toss him then then the entire section and that they were actually doing him a favor as it could get real ugly once the game ended.
Rick

Rick

That's alright. It happens everywhere. You made a statement, I responded. Simple as that. Have a nice night, Rick.

Some of you have been here just as long as I have, if not longer... and you can't recognize a troll when you see one? What a shame.

Some of you have been here just as long as I have, if not longer... and you can't recognize a troll when you see one? What a shame.

Don't think it is a long term troll. I think it is sickness.

Let's Elliotts Dad speaks for himself.

In the meanwhile, do you have a problem with deaf people being right?

Rick's point was that Elliot's dad expressed his feelings and experience with AllDeaf and was told that he was wrong, and that isn't the truth. Rick found it to be ironic because that is what deaf people say that hearing people do to them everytime we post.

Back