Was Pres Lincoln a racist or a prodcut of his era

At the time, it probably would have been the best thing to do for America, and maybe even what many of the freed slaves would have wanted...though I don't think Africa would have wanted them back, at the time the country was one of I think only 2 countries still active in selling slaves - I doubt they would have appreciated the huge number that would have been sent back. Africa maybe would have just turned around and sold them to someone else..or worse.
That's why Liberia was founded in 1822. That's the African country to which they could be sent.

"Africa" is a continent, not a country.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/li.html

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Liberia

I can't speak for others but me myself, I do my research I read several opinions before I come to my own conclusion, and while Pres. Lincoln was against slavery of human beings, uh yes he was a racist.
"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything." ---Lincoln

Now some may say well he was a byproduct of his era but I believe we all have a moral compass and in the same manner that compass spoke to him about slavery, it spoke to him about race and that showed fruition when his opinion of blacks finally started to change and that wasn't until he had his first meeting with Frederick Douglas the first black he considered an equal intellectual.

I don't pretend to be a know it all but I am not lazy and I do my research especially on historical facts its a love of mine ya know.

You have to look at the whole picture than just quote Lincoln's famous speech doesn't mean he was a racist.

He challenged Douglas for a US senate seat. Lincoln's famous view was "no extension of slavery". Douglas' view indicates that slavery could exist in any state where it had a majority support. The national press loved it because Douglas was so prominent. He had already introduced Popular Sovereignty which was the basis for the admission of Kansas. He was also well known throughout the country. Lincoln had the chance to speak for the New Republican party with... again "no extension of slavery". The debates were inflammatory. It was well known Lincoln had a squeaky tenor voice. You have to remember that Douglas was called "the little giant" because he had a deep voice. Douglas was a tremendous speaker. They traveled through state of Illinois and Lincoln kept saying "no further extension of slavery".

Now, The Mason-Dixon line runs through bottom half of Illinois, separating Southerners from Northerners- While the first debates went on "no further extension of slavery", they went to a place called Charleston, Illinois south of Mason-Dixon line (a very conservative area). When Lincoln got there, in 4th debate, he gave a 'white supremacy speech'- kinda of sleazy speech for people in the South. That is Lincoln's same quote you posted. Believe it or not, it was shocking, considering Lincoln's career. A moral laps in a sleazy attempt to get votes. It was a bad moment in his life- This was such as abnormal exception to his speeches and total moral opposite to his life. Because, through northern part of Illinois he continued with "no... extension of slavery".

Slavery is morally wrong- In the Declaration of Independence it states "men are created equal". Douglas would say- This country was created by white man, and the Declaration of Independence doesn't apply to black, or native Americans or any others- we're taking about all white men are created equal. People should be able to decided for or against slavery- slave or free. Lincoln would say- we either have American Ideals or we don't.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe 100 years from now, they will call -us- racist or whatever-ist? Maybe we do stuff now that seems normal but may be "horrible" in the future?

Who knows? Maybe someone will say "Wow.. they actually slaughtered cows back then? What savages!"

Or

"They actually didn't allow Mexicans to cross the border back then? They used illegal immigrants as cheap workers? Wow, that is pretty bad."

It goes on. You can't compare people back then to what we are NOW. You have to compare them back then to people BACK THEN also.

Yeah, Lincoln was called Benedict Arnold and Ranchero Spotty.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe 100 years from now, they will call -us- racist or whatever-ist? Maybe we do stuff now that seems normal but may be "horrible" in the future?

Who knows? Maybe someone will say "Wow.. they actually slaughtered cows back then? What savages!"

Or

"They actually didn't allow Mexicans to cross the border back then? They used illegal immigrants as cheap workers? Wow, that is pretty bad."

It goes on. You can't compare people back then to what we are NOW. You have to compare them back then to people BACK THEN also.

No comparisons being made to then and now, just judgements and actions that were made back then, of course today we would say that but thats my argument about Obama I have no idea whether or not if his policies and ideals are and will be effective not enough time has passed to prove one way or the other.

You have to look at the whole picture than just quote Lincoln's famous speech doesn't mean he was a racist.

He challenged Douglas for a US senate seat. Lincoln's famous view was "no extension of slavery". Douglas' view indicates that slavery could exist in any state where it had a majority support. The national press loved it because Douglas was so prominent. He had already introduced Popular Sovereignty which was the basis for the admission of Kansas. He was also well known throughout the country. Lincoln had the chance to speak for the New Republican party with... again "no extension of slavery". The debates were inflammatory. It was well known Lincoln had a squeaky tenor voice. You have to remember that Douglas was called "the little giant" because he had a deep voice. Douglas was a tremendous speaker. They traveled through state of Illinois and Lincoln kept saying "no further extension of slavery".

Now, The Mason-Dixon line runs through bottom half of Illinois, separating Southerners from Northerners- While the first debates went on "no further extension of slavery", they went to a place called Charleston, Illinois south of Mason-Dixon line (a very conservative area). When Lincoln got there, in 4th debate, he gave a 'white supremacy speech'- kinda of sleazy speech for people in the South. That is Lincoln's same quote you posted. Believe it or not, it was shocking, considering Lincoln's career. A moral laps in a sleazy attempt to get votes. It was a bad moment in his life- This was such as abnormal exception to his speeches and total moral opposite to his life. Because, through northern part of Illinois he continued with "no... extension of slavery".

Slavery is morally wrong- In the Declaration of Independence it states "men are created equal". Douglas would say- This country was created by white man, and the Declaration of Independence doesn't apply to black, or native Americans or any others- we're taking about all white men are created equal. People should be able to decided for or against slavery- slave or free. Lincoln would say- we either have American Ideals or we don't.

I don't question at all Lincoln's ideals on slavery, there is enough evidence that has shown that he was against the institution of slavery. But ones ideals on a man being enslaved is not equal to his thoughts on one race having seniority over another, or the mixing of races, etc.....

By the social standards of Lincoln's day, no. By today's stardards, most probably. But we can't judge attitudes of yesterday by today.

Back