Warning for Credit Card Holders

ITPjohn

SAC Class of 05
Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw this today on Yahoo and thought I'd share it. Check you next statement CAREFULLY.

Security Breach Could Expose 40M to Fraud
By JOE BEL BRUNO, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 36 minutes ago

The names, banks and account numbers of up to 40 million credit card holders may have been accessed by an unauthorized user, MasterCard International Inc. said Friday. The credit card giant said the security breach involves a computer virus that captured customer data for the purpose of fraud and may have affected holders of all brands of credit cards.

It said the breach was traced to Atlanta-based CardSystems Solutions Inc., which processes credit card and other payments for banks and merchants.

The compromised data did not include addresses or Social Security numbers, said MasterCard spokeswoman Sharon Gamsin. The data that may have been viewed — names, banks and account numbers — could be used to steal funds but not identities.

Gamsin said she did not know how a virus-like computer script that captured customer data got into CardSystems' network, which MasterCard said was infiltrated by an unauthorized individual. Neither company would elaborate.

The FBI was investigating.

The incident was the latest in a series of security breaches affecting valuable consumer data at major financial institutions and data brokers in an increasingly database-driven world.

The breach appears to be the largest yet involving financial data, said David Sobel, general counsel at the Electronic Privacy Information Center.

"The steady stream of these disclosures shows the pressing need for regulation of the industry both in terms of limitation in the amount of personal information that companies collect and also liability when these kinds of disclosures occur," Sobel said.

A flurry of disclosures of breaches affecting high-profile companies including Citigroup Inc., Bank of America Corp. and DSW Shoe Warehouse has prompted federal lawmakers to draw up legislation designed to better protect consumer privacy.

MasterCard, which said about 14 million of its own cards were exposed, first announced the breach in a news release Friday afternoon, saying it was notifying its card-issuing banks of the problem.

However, CardSystems said late Friday in a statement vetted by the FBI that it first learned of a potential breach on May 22. It said it was told by the FBI not to release any information to the public. The company said it was surprised by MasterCard's decision to go public.

"We were absolutely blindsided by a press release by the association," CardSystems' chief financial officer, Michael A. Brady, told The Associated Press when reached on his cell phone. He refused to answer any questions and referred calls to the company's chief executive, John M. Perry, and its senior vice president of marketing, Bill N. Reeves.

Reeves said the information the company gathered initially was "on a need-to-know basis." He said he could not comment beyond a company statement, which did not give any details about the breach but noted that CardSystems is implementing increased security measures.

"I understand and fully appreciate the seriousness of the situation," Reeves said.

Under federal law, credit card holders are liable for no more than $50 of unauthorized charges, and many card issuers including MasterCard will even waive the $50.

CardSystems processes less than 0.5 percent of American Express' domestic transactions, said company spokeswoman Judy Tenzer. She said a small number of its cardholders were affected, though she did not have an exact figure.

Discover Financial Services Inc. said it was aware of the situation and would not say whether any of its cards were involved. Visa USA and a large issuer of cards, MBNA Corp., did not immediately calls seeking comment.

CardSystems, which has a processing center in Tucson, Ariz., has been in business for more than 15 years and handles transactions for more than 115,000 small to mid-sized businesses, according to the company's Web site. The company says it processes transactions worth more than $15 billion annually.

Sobel said the fact that the latest breach involved a third party "indicates that this is a shadowy industry where the consumer never really knows who is going to be handling and using their personal information."

Earlier this month, Citigroup said UPS lost computer tapes with sensitive information from 3.9 million customers of CitiFinancial, a unit that provides personal and home loans.

There have also been breaches involving other kinds of sensitive data.

ChoicePoint Inc. said in February that thieves using stolen identities had created 50 dummy businesses that pulled data including names, addresses and Social Security numbers on as many as 145,000 people.

In March, LexisNexis Inc. disclosed that hackers had commandeered a database and gained access to the personal files of as many as 32,000 people.

The company has since increased its estimate of the people affected to 310,000. Information accessed included names, addresses and Social Security and driver's license numbers, but not credit history, medical records or financial information, corporate parent Reed Elsevier Group PLC said in a statement.
___

Associated Press writers Anick Jesdanun, Adam Geller, Harry Weber, Ted Bridis, Arthur Rotstein and Marcy Gordon contributed to this report.

Just keep your card maxed out, and the hackers will get nothing except frustration, he, he! ;)

Not gonna to work 100% of time. Hacker can always call creditor for increase line of credit or get information from CC then apply for other credit card under your own name without your knowledge!!! This shit has been going on already. Happened to my gf already!!! Whoever stole her SSN and info and open a cell phone account!!! MOFO!

Reba said:
Just keep your card maxed out, and the hackers will get nothing except frustration, he, he! ;)

Consumer Alert

In addition to the above, the Seattle Post-Intelligent added to the end:

CONSUMER ALERT

What was taken:
Names, banks and account numbers of up to 40 million credit card holders.

The risk: Someone could use that information to make purchases with your credit card.

What you should do:
Check your credit card charges carefully, report any discrepancies to the phone number on your credit card or monthly statement.

What is your exposure?:
Federal law limits your exposure to no more than $50 if you report the theft. Many banks do not require customers to pay even that. But you must find and report problems to be protected.

RCSwan said:
...What you should do:[/B] Check your credit card charges carefully, report any discrepancies to the phone number on your credit card or monthly statement.
This is a good idea to always do every month.

diehardbiker65 said:
Not gonna to work 100% of time. Hacker can always call creditor for increase line of credit or get information from CC then apply for other credit card under your own name without your knowledge!!!
Of course, I was just kidding. :)

..Happened to my gf already!!! Whoever stole her SSN and info and open a cell phone account!!!
Yes, getting someone's SSN is the worst problem. :( That opens up too many doors.

Reba said:
This is a good idea to always do every month.

A month is too long, at least it is in my opinion. I think it should be done at LEAST once a week if you are able to check your Mastercard/VISA accounts online.

So much can be done in a day's work.

Banjo said:
A month is too long, at least it is in my opinion. I think it should be done at LEAST once a week if you are able to check your Mastercard/VISA accounts online.

Yea I agree with ya. I do check mine and I know what I buy. :P

I have no doubt that a good amount, if not all, will end up in the hands of West African scammers. Make sure you check your statements.

it Just To Show You Paying Your Taxes Just Aint Worth It. Cause Cops Are Not Doing Theur Jobs Very Well. Next Time You Get A 1040 Form Just Rip It Up!!!!
its Like Telling The Cops,,, Youre Fired!!!!!

Even better, do it daily!!! that is why I always check online to see if anything goes weird. I have caught few, unauthorizations and called up immediately.

Banjo said:

How about YOU catch the crooks yourself? ID thieves are the toughest crime to catch!!! ID thieves are much transparent and usually don't leave tracks! They are already years ahead of investigation capablities. To compare the difficulties of investigation. ID thieves are much like serial killers. They don't leave trails, and they don't have alibi. Same idea with ID thieves, because they can pick out randomly.
Taxes have nothing to do with this!

You can rip your own 1040! It is NOT my problem. It is between you and IRS! :laugh2:

ravensteve1961 said:
it Just To Show You Paying Your Taxes Just Aint Worth It. Cause Cops Are Not Doing Theur Jobs Very Well. Next Time You Get A 1040 Form Just Rip It Up!!!!
its Like Telling The Cops,,, Youre Fired!!!!!

very unlikely majority goes to west african scammer. Most ID thieves are American born crooks!!! ID thieves started back in late 80's. Not sure what year exactly. But it happens back then and NO ONE EVER care because it is somebody's else's problem... Now it becomes MAJOR threat to everybody of us... That is American's famous... "NOT MY PROBLEM!". Now we are paying the price.

cental34 said:
I have no doubt that a good amount, if not all, will end up in the hands of West African scammers. Make sure you check your statements.

diehardbiker65 said:
How about YOU catch the crooks yourself? ID thieves are the toughest crime to catch!!! ID thieves are much transparent and usually don't leave tracks! They are already years ahead of investigation capablities. To compare the difficulties of investigation. ID thieves are much like serial killers. They don't leave trails, and they don't have alibi. Same idea with ID thieves, because they can pick out randomly.
Taxes have nothing to do with this!

:

Do what Charles Bronson did...Just attract the crooks make em follow you and then pull your gun out and do this.
bronson_reuters,0.jpg

Very Simple!
Tell the crook this.
"" You Belive in Jesus?""
""Yes I Do ""
"" Well,,Youre gonna meet him""
P O W!

diehardbiker65 said:
very unlikely majority goes to west african scammer. Most ID thieves are American born crooks!!! ID thieves started back in late 80's. Not sure what year exactly. But it happens back then and NO ONE EVER care because it is somebody's else's problem... Now it becomes MAJOR threat to everybody of us... That is American's famous... "NOT MY PROBLEM!". Now we are paying the price.

Well, maybe alittle exaggeration, but these scammers have endless amounts of stolen credit cards is my point. And I know a few cases in which ID thieves have been busted, the thief's intent was for the use in West African scams.

diehardbiker65 said:
Even better, do it daily!!! that is why I always check online to see if anything goes weird. I have caught few, unauthorizations and called up immediately.

Actually, I check mine everyday since I use it frequently. But I'm just making the suggestion that people should check it at LEAST once a week instead of every month. If they check it out daily, then good.

Never had any problems with mine.

No, I am not exaggerated. Problem is checking on your credit card account regular alone is NOT enough!!! Thieves all needed is your SSN, that is magic set number for them! Everybody have only one SSN, that is thieves biggest advantage. They don't always need your CC number. They would just dig in for your SSN, your addresses, phone number and previous address. Even your employer info.. once thieves have these info... then apply for another credit card under these name, namely yours! They would even let the creditor know you moved to vacant place, so creditor have no idea that it was fake. Then Crooks check mail at vacant place... once crooks gets approved card... SHOPPING TIME for them! You won't even know until they max it and don't pay them, or even worse they do pay a little for few months then disappear before you realize soemthing goes wrong.
cental34 said:
Well, maybe alittle exaggeration, but these scammers have endless amounts of stolen credit cards is my point. And I know a few cases in which ID thieves have been busted, the thief's intent was for the use in West African scams.

Another reason why I don't think most of them don't come from West African. What I know is that most comes from right here and right under your nose! Why? If those from west africa doing crooks, banks WILL get suspecious VERY easily!!! forward to new mail in africa? Come on!!! Bank is NOT stupid. PLUS if those crooks in W. Africa charges using your account, Banks are very LIKELY to raise red flag! They would wonder if you really travel to W. Africa, mostly UNLIKELY. So, I would bet over 90% of ID thieves lives right here on our own fuckin country.

Oh you think dead man can catch crook?

(Hey Charles Bronson, Im sorry I don't mean to insult you, but rather insulting RS!)

ravensteve1961 said:
Do what Charles Bronson did...Just attract the crooks make em follow you and then pull your gun out and do this.
bronson_reuters,0.jpg

Very Simple!
Tell the crook this.
"" You Belive in Jesus?""
""Yes I Do ""
"" Well,,Youre gonna meet him""
P O W!

diehardbiker65 said:
Another reason why I don't think most of them don't come from West African. What I know is that most comes from right here and right under your nose! Why? If those from west africa doing crooks, banks WILL get suspecious VERY easily!!! forward to new mail in africa? Come on!!! Bank is NOT stupid. PLUS if those crooks in W. Africa charges using your account, Banks are very LIKELY to raise red flag! They would wonder if you really travel to W. Africa, mostly UNLIKELY. So, I would bet over 90% of ID thieves lives right here on our own fuckin country.

They use the stolen cards are used here in the US, and products are being shipped to US addresses. Scammers have people within the US helping them out. This, I know for fact.

Back