want to hear your opinions about cochlear implant

And I live with a child who is not there because she has fallen behind, but because we want her to learn in a bilingual environment.

Every time you promote this idea that schools for the deaf are for failures, you reinforce a stereotype that keeps other deaf children from learning ASL because parents listen to you and to Shel and don't want their children surrounded by, influenced by failure and lowered expectations.

We did not say schools for the deaf are for failures. We are saying SOME children are placed there by their parents because those specific children fell behind.

We did not say schools for the deaf are for failures. We are saying SOME children are placed there by their parents because those specific children fell behind.

You agreed with Buffalo's statement that if early implantation were more successful than later implantation, then no kids would be placed at schools for the deaf ("if it is true, then no kids will be transferred to Shel90's school"). This reads to me like you are saying that only those who are not successful are placed at schools for the deaf.

I know successful children with CIs at my daughter's school, as well as in the Clarke and CASE schools/programs for the deaf.

You agreed with Buffalo's statement that if early implantation were more successful than later implantation, then no kids would be placed at schools for the deaf ("if it is true, then no kids will be transferred to Shel90's school"). This reads to me like you are saying that only those who are not successful are placed at schools for the deaf.

I know successful children with CIs at my daughter's school, as well as in the Clarke and CASE schools/programs for the deaf.

Hold up hold up... lets not get soooooooo technical here.

in the deaf world we dont even consider clarke/case/tlc/ etc "schools for the deaf"...

They have their own name, and when we refer to 'school for the deaf' we are referring to a state school in general.

I understand what you are saying now.

Jamie,

Just so you get other perspectives. I am the parent of a profoundly deaf child who was implanted in 1989 before deciding on the implant we talked to many in the medical field and no one ever told us not to use ASL. Not any of the doctors and/or audiologsts ever made any negative statements to us about ASL.

The only negative comment we received from someone in the medical field came from the audiologist who conducted the hearing test that confirmed that our daughter was deaf. He told my wife not to listen to anyone who says profoundly deaf children can learn to speak and that we should immediately move to another state and enroll our child in a particular school for the Deaf. Thankfully, we did not follow his advice.

Rick

There are deaf children who are on, above and below grade levels at Deaf schools. Just as there are deaf child who are sucessful and unsuccessful CI users.

The point I think Buffalo was making that if all children who are implanted at younger ages are going to function like hearing kids like baseballboy said, why are deaf schools or programs still seeeing an influx of CI users who have fallen behind in mianstreamed programs or still don't have speech skills. Who are illetrate with language delays and deficits. Those kids are the true victims.

This is imo, the problem with waiting for your child to be 18 is.. they lost 18 years of hearing. First few years will actually help the child hear better than when your 18. Its like a puppy, they train easier when younger, same with hearing.
I'm struggling with my left, but my right was easy because i had it since 2.

That is a valid point about waiting until adulthood for an implant and one confirmed time and time again by studies and research.
Rick

in the deaf world we dont even consider clarke/case/tlc/ etc "schools for the deaf"...

They have their own name, and when we refer to 'school for the deaf' we are referring to a state school in general.

Thank you!

Oh brother..here we go again.

I think it is a case of misunderstanding so let Buffalo explain what she meant.

:hmm: Are you pulling my leg or serious? My daughter's school isn't a school for the deaf?

grendel,

There is usually a distinction drawn between schools like Clarke, Moog, etc. where the primary mode of language used is spoken English and schools for the Deaf which where it is ASL, TC or Bi-bi. Yes, they all are schools for the deaf but the latter group would more likely be considered schools for the Deaf.

Neither group to be confused with the mainstream and mainstream programs for the deaf :)

Rick

I think kids should be able to choose have CI or not (when they are older enough or mature enough) because I seen so many kids with CI and when they turn teens or adults stop wearing it or wearing it less cause arguements with parents.

Some kids are happy with CI and still wear it as teens and adults.

Also CI attract oral way only ideas too much and too often, few even consider BSL to be part of kid life. So much better if kids was allowed to have both, English doesn't have to be spoken, reading and writing is more important cos of education, job etc.

Jamie,

Just so you get other perspectives. I am the parent of a profoundly deaf child who was implanted in 1989 before deciding on the implant we talked to many in the medical field and no one ever told us not to use ASL. Not any of the doctors and/or audiologsts ever made any negative statements to us about ASL.

The only negative comment we received from someone in the medical field came from the audiologist who conducted the hearing test that confirmed that our daughter was deaf. He told my wife not to listen to anyone who says profoundly deaf children can learn to speak and that we should immediately move to another state and enroll our child in a particular school for the Deaf. Thankfully, we did not follow his advice.

Rick

Rick brings up a good point: that anti-ASL sentiment you see people referring to here at AD with regard to the CI was in no way apparent in my early encounters with either medical or early intervention professionals. Our hospital's CI clinic was a strong supporter of incorporating ASL in our child's life, and the state assigned us an ASL-fluent SLP even before we had a formal diagnosis of profound deafness.

Rick brings up a good point: that anti-ASL sentiment you see people referring to here at AD with regard to the CI was in no way apparent in my early encounters with either medical or early intervention professionals. Our hospital's CI clinic was a strong supporter of incorporating ASL in our child's life, and the state assigned us an ASL-fluent SLP even before we had a formal diagnosis of profound deafness.
So are you saying that there are no audis, no CI doctors, or anyone in the field that has ever discouraged parents from allowing ASL in the deaf children's lives ever?

There has been posts made by many others who were told not to bother with ASL by these people in this field.

So are you saying that there are no audis, no CI doctors, or anyone in the field that has ever discouraged parents from allowing ASL in the deaf children's lives ever?

No, where do you see that in my post? I was adding my specific experience as the parent of a deaf child who has relatively recently gone through the medical and EI process, which was similar to Rick's some 20-odd years ago. Other parents of deaf children who have encountered an anti-ASL bias when making those critical early language and learning decisions can post their experiences, too, of course.

pfh: I guess it depends on WHICH deaf/Deaf you are referring.Are deaf with Cochlear Implants included?

I was never in deaf/Deaf/Blinddeaf/BlindDeaf school thus no personal experience if they are really deaf/Deaf school for learning? Seems to a "hot topic- du jour' here in alldeaf.com

Is Rick's observation on Brizarro world-relevant here?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

OK PFH, if TLC -- an ASL-based school established as a bilingual, non-oral school for deaf students more than 40 years ago -- is not a school for the Deaf, what is it? I mean, aside from being a dumping ground for failure, as the consensus here seems to be :( . Eh, now I see why I can get dozens of testimonials from recent Clarke, Moog and mainstream grads with a single post, but can't get a single ADer to post in favor of his or her bi-bi experience, apparently no one would dare admit to having had such an education. Is this really what people think of the choice that seems to have so much Deaf endorsement -- ideal approach, but only in theory?

Dr.Phil..many ADers went to Deaf schools and it is obvious they learned ..otherwise they wouldn't be here.

Also, there are many Deaf Vloggers from Deaf schools and they are very intelligent so I can safetly assume they did some learning while at school.

did you honestly think deaf children just run wild at Deaf schools all day learning nothing?

Last edited:
OK PFH, if TLC -- an ASL-based school established as a bilingual, non-oral school for deaf students more than 40 years ago -- is not a school for the Deaf, what is it? I mean, aside from being a dumping ground for failure, as the consensus here seems to be :( . Eh, now I see why I can get dozens of testimonials from recent Clarke, Moog and mainstream grads with a single post, but can't get a single ADer to post in favor of his or her bi-bi experience, apparently no one would dare admit to having had such an education. Is this really what people think of the choice that seems to have so much Deaf endorsement -- ideal approach, but only in theory?

You are mostly talking to older people who didn't have opportunity for Bi-bi as a choice. I thought you only wanted to hear from people in your thread who supported every facet of their own education and were very successful.

Therefore, I thought I should not say anything even though I am a happy person, mother of two successful children, and joyful rescuer of deaf dog, since that would not be traditional professional success.

you're missing the point... the consistency makes me tired, really.

Back