want to hear your opinions about cochlear implant

Large print oral types?
Maybe it's a country difference. You very rarely if ever see someone who has all the tools in their toolbox, wearing a " I Am Hearing Impaired, Please Speak Clearly" button.

True but I wear the "partilly sighted and hearing impairment" badge so that I DO NOT questioned as to why I need the Braille/Large print materials. the
large print oral types
was I talking about
AT 4 O’CLOCK each morning, Laura J. Sloate begins her daily reading. She calls a phone service that reads newspapers aloud in a synthetic voice, and she listens to The Wall Street Journal at 300 words a minute, which is nearly twice the average pace of speech. Later, an assistant reads The Financial Times to her while she uses her computer’s text-to-speech system to play The Economist aloud. She devotes one ear to the paper and the other to the magazine. The managing director of a Wall Street investment management firm, Sloate has been blind since age 6, and although she reads constantly, poring over the news and the economic reports for several hours every morning, she does not use Braille. “Knowledge goes from my ears to my brain, not from my finger to my brain,” she says. As a child she learned how the letters of the alphabet sounded, not how they appeared or felt on the page. She doesn’t think of a comma in terms of its written form but rather as “a stop on the way before continuing.” This, she says, is the future of reading for the blind. “Literacy evolves,” she told me. “When Braille was invented, in the 19th century, we had nothing else. We didn’t even have radio. At that time, blindness was a disability. Now it’s just a minor, minor impairment.”Teaching Visually Impaired Children: Can Braille be now listened to?

rue but I wear the "partilly sighted and hearing impairment" badge so that I DO NOT questioned as to why I need the Braille/Large print materials. the
Yes, but if you were just hoh, would you wear a " Hi, I Am Hearing Impaired. Please Speak Clearly" button? A Deaf Blind alert button is a lot different, since it's more severe.

Yes, but if you were just hoh, would you wear a " Hi, I Am Hearing Impaired. Please Speak Clearly" button? A Deaf Blind alert button is a lot different, since it's more severe.

Well, I wouldn't.

But I've seen it. I've come across many cashiers around here who wear their nametags with a badge underneath that says just about what you're saying.

Severity doesn't have anything to do with anything. Comfort level is what it is.

Exactly! People who were raised auditory verbal or oral only are freaking LOST without their assitive devices or lost when it's not prime listening conditions! Hohtopics, WHY are you so automaticly dismissive of ASL as a possible thing that could be helpful? Fine, we get the idea that you're one of those HLAA types who would willingly wear one of those " I am Hearing Impaired" buttons.
But what you and many other HLAA "the key is residual hearing and speeachreading" people do not get is that, those types of interventions aren't 100% helpful ALL the time!
Why do you bring HLAA into this?

Severity doesn't have anything to do with anything. Comfort level is what it is.

Do I willing wear it? No I wear because I got sick of having to explain the NEED for large print and other accommodations that businesses need to make for me.

Do I willing wear it? No I wear because I got sick of having to explain the NEED for large print and other accommodations that businesses need to make for me.

Yes. That's what my point was. Your comfort level was in wearing it so you don't have to explain your needs.

No I wear because I got sick of having to explain the NEED for large print and other accommodations that businesses need to make for m
Exactly. It's mainly b/c of visual access right?
Love Blue, I'm not anti HLAA, BUT they do and have promoted wearing those buttons in day to day life.
But I've seen it. I've come across many cashiers around here who wear their nametags with a badge underneath that says just about what you're saying.
Yes but they wear it for work. I doubt that you'd see them wearing a button like that in day to day life.

Exactly. It's mainly b/c of visual access right?
Love Blue, I'm not anti HLAA, BUT they do and have promoted wearing those buttons in day to day life.
Yes but they wear it for work. I doubt that you'd see them wearing a button like that in day to day life.

Well, I guess you don't know until you run across someone who does or doesn't. Still about choice. I personally would never wear one, but I wouldn't stop anyone from wanting to if they chose to, whether at work in day-to-day life. My example earlier about cashiers was only one example of when I've seen them.

I love how my example of wearing a "I Am Hearing Impaired. Please Speak Clearly" button evolved into a discussion of those actual buttons. It's completely irrevent to the topic at hand.
I simply used that as a very small detail illustration. Like you know how in a story if you wanted to say that a person was crazy you would describe them as acting all strange, or if you wanted to say that a person was preppy you'd describe them as wearing tan khaki pants and one of those polo shirts?

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
I love how my example of wearing a "I Am Hearing Impaired. Please Speak Clearly" button evolved into a discussion of those actual buttons. It's completely irrevent to the topic at hand.
I simply used that as a very small detail illustration. Like you know how in a story if you wanted to say that a person was crazy you would describe them as acting all strange, or if you wanted to say that a person was preppy you'd describe them as wearing tan khaki pants and one of those polo shirts?

why do you care if they choose to wear that button? More power to them! I would rather my child wear a button that says that then walk around pretending to understand when she doesn't, smiling and nodding.

Did you really wear one? I have never seen one before. Interesting.

Did you really wear one? I have never seen one before. Interesting.
Ewwww no. I would NEVER wear one. But I have seen them at audi offices and through a teen HOH support group I was involved with as a teen (which fizzled out, like most of those things do)

Back