want to hear your opinions about cochlear implant

Like how does medical community digust you? In what way?

Look up what it means to have a medical view versus the cultural view on deafness.

The medical community sees deafness as something to be fixed and give parents their one-sided info. What disgusts me is when they tell the parents not to expose their deaf children to ASL because it wont allow them to be normal. That was what happened with my mom and as a result, I was forced to be oral, growing up without ASL or the Deaf community.

Im againist cis and dont hide it

I am doing a research for my english class. I have to ask deaf people's opinions about Cochlear Implant. Anyone that are against CI and anyone that has CI and anyone that is thinking about getting one.

Ok here are my reasons for being anti ci

1.cost
2.impact on the planet
3.no solar rechargable batteries(need them for hearing aids too)
4.the fact public attitude is often(not always) "get 1 and dont use all that special stuff"
5.the fact that if a user/their parents change their minds the internal implant is left in

Ok here are my reasons for being anti ci

1.cost
2.impact on the planet
4.the fact public attitude is often(not always) "get 1 and dont use all that special stuff"
5.the fact that if a user/their parents change their minds the internal implant is left in

:hmm:

I never thought of the impact on the planet...

At least with ASL..the planet stays green! :D

Look up what it means to have a medical view versus the cultural view on deafness.

The medical community sees deafness as something to be fixed and give parents their one-sided info. What disgusts me is when they tell the parents not to expose their deaf children to ASL because it wont allow them to be normal. That was what happened with my mom and as a result, I was forced to be oral, growing up without ASL or the Deaf community.

I understand what you are saying now.

I got solar hearing aid batteries and charger for Valentine's day.

So count me a green hearing aid user. :lol:

old processors
corpses with internal implants leaking and/or getting eaten by worms insert pucky smile
old cleaning supplies
old batteries

By not learning ASL as a child was NOT a benefit for me.

I get so sick and tired of people's negative views about ASL. I think the views behind the CI really reinforced these negative views about ASL.

I know, and I totally understand. Because I've been on the "other side" of you -- I had the ASL while growing up while you didn't. I can see easily how much you must have suffered for that.

I got solar hearing aid batteries and charger for Valentine's day.

So count me a green hearing aid user. :lol:

My hearing aids and the batteries are definitely not helpful to the planet. I just never thought about it until now.

Are you serious about solar hearing aid batteries or just pulling my leg? :hmm:

My hearing aids and the batteries are definitely not helpful to the planet. I just never thought about it until now.

Are you serious about solar hearing aid batteries or just pulling my leg? :hmm:

I am serious. You can find them at Ebay and Amazon. And you can also recharge the regular hearing aid batteries with the solar charger.

I intend to try that, but watch to make sure it is safe and won't leak.

1.cost
2.impact on the planet
1. not bad if you have insurance. besides what about education you are going to need? (asl classes, speech)
2. like theres any comparison on its impact on the planet compare to gas (which everyone uses)
3. okay... who cares, disposable batteries or keep a good amount of back up.
4. i dont understand what you mean
5. I will most likely never change my mind about implants. and its not bad, like my left, i barely use it but dont regret installing it, its for back up.

old processors
corpses with internal implants leaking and/or getting eaten by worms insert pucky smile
old cleaning supplies
old batteries
I like to keep all of my old processors. Its a very cool collection.
rarely ever implants would leak or get eaten by "worms", just take the yearly shots of anti- (w.e it is that prevents bacteria)

Last edited:
I like to keep all of my old processors. Its a very cool collection.
rarely ever implants would leak or get eaten by "worms", just take the yearly shots of anti- (w.e it is that prevents bacteria)

Agreed it is cool collection but most likely WILL get thrown out by someone

So after you die if the user are buried what happends to the users implant

I'm 40 and have had my N-24 CI for 11 years, a decision I made myself at age 29 after observing my former step son who had a CI implanted at the age of 2. He's now 23 years old. Anyway, despite my misgivings and opposition to children being implanted at such a young age, I decided to get one for myself because I'm over 18 and can decide whether I should get one or not. I still stand with my opinion on children being implanted while they're still babies and unable to have a say in the decision making process. That's something I try to encourage parents to research into ASL and deaf schools, etc. rather than just focus on CI's and learning to talk and hear because it's not 'natural' for us deaf to just be forced into using CI's/HA's and not learn sign language. I believe that is depriving them of their deaf culture and heritage.
I only hope that the parents and their child will be still on good terms by the time the child grows up and realises what's a CI exactly is and discovering the deaf community and its opportunities -- some may be fine and blend in with little to no trouble while others may not be so lucky. (What I meant is others coming to terms with having a CI, dealing with possibly anger towards parents and embarrassment, so forth. Such a spectrum of emotions that could come up.)
This issue continues to be a controversial one -- very sticky ground. I respect everyone's opinions on here, just hope that it stays rational, you know? Smile!
I mainstreamed my first few years of school before transferring to a deaf school where I graduated. Have been using ASL practically all my life -- started with SEE until I joined the deaf school where I quickly picked up ASL and have used it since then. ( I also learned AUSLAN, Australian Sign Language, during my 6 years living there and that's where I got my CI as well.)

Some of you remind me of my buddy's mother.

She is 84 years old. One day I asked her if she wanted Chinese food for dinner.

"NO!!"

"Why not?"

"I HATE THAT STUFF...IT IS DISGUSTING"

"Hmmm....so what happened? Which dish did you try?"

"Never ate any Chinese food, but I hate it anyway"

"How can you hate something if you haven't tried it?"

"Doesn't matter. All my friends hate it, so I hate it. I've heard it is disgusting. Too spicy. That's good enough reason for me to hate the stuff".

:roll:

Agreed it is cool collection but most likely WILL get thrown out by someone

So after you die if the user are buried what happends to the users implant

i hope not. I'll put it in a time capsel at a local deaf school

you die, you... die. who cares about the implant. Although, I did talk about this with my mom, if i were ever to be cremanated, I would just have it taken out... i guess, wouldn't want metal in ash :p

Some of you remind me of my buddy's mother.

She is 84 years old. One day I asked her if she wanted Chinese food for dinner.

"NO!!"

"Why not?"

"I HATE THAT STUFF...IT IS DISGUSTING"

"Hmmm....so what happened? Which dish did you try?"

"Never ate any Chinese food, but I hate it anyway"

"How can you hate something if you haven't tried it?"

"Doesn't matter. All my friends hate it, so I hate it. I've heard it is disgusting. Too spicy. That's good enough reason for me to hate the stuff".

:roll:

I hope you send her flowers. :)

I am doing a research for my english class. I have to ask deaf people's opinions about Cochlear Implant. Anyone that are against CI and anyone that has CI and anyone that is thinking about getting one.

It's been almost 3 years since I got a CI and am glad I got one. Not only has it enhanced my hearing, but I've also been told that my communication skills has improved since I got one. Although I tend to constructively say "There's still room for improvement". I've also gone for audio verbal therapy lessons along the way which has helped and also do some listening exercises at home. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Staying out of debate,,, personal choice,,

My history,,,
deaf at birth
first hearing aid at 3
CI at 46

for me,, I LOVE IT. :)

Even though I still can't discriminate speech 100% without lip-reading, I can at 50% or there about --- FAR better than 3% with hearing aid.

Back