Walking on cracked eggshells

i can give another perfect example between tact and sugarcoating.

there have been times where i've had a small stain on my blouse and when i ask a sighted-hearing person how i look, they tell me i look fine (or use another word to compliment my appearance). this is known as sugarcoating since the sighted-hearing person isn't telling me the truth for fear of hurting my feelings.

let's say a different sighted-hearing person tells me that i *do* have a small stain on my blouse. this is an example of tact since they are telling me the truth, but not attacking me or trying to make me feel bad. they are stating a fact that they would tell any other sighted-hearing person.

does this explanation make sense, liza?

Indeed!

Can just imagine your conversation:

"Oh, you look great! And by the way, your fly is open." Haha.

I'd be mortified if I had a stain on my clothes and no one told me so I wouldn't hesitate to quietly point out a stain or an open fly. I've had open fly incidents and no one told me. :eek3: Thank god I'm in the habit of wearing undies...

I have no problem with people speaking their minds nor speaking the truth. I've seen some people quote every member's post almost in every threads and don't give those members any room to breathe. That is annoying and disrespectful. They need to remember an opinion is only one's thoughts and we all have our own. With me, I like to hear everyone's opinions how they think, it doesn't necessary means that I agree with them. :)

:funny: and you got us on your IGNORE list? I know - you can't read this. :laugh2:

Indeed!

I'd be mortified if I had a stain on my clothes and no one told me so I wouldn't hesitate to quietly point out a stain or an open fly. I've had open fly incidents and no one told me. :eek3: Thank god I'm in the habit of wearing undies...

I'm afraid to say that to women but not men. I don't want to get a sexual harassment lawsuit... :aw:

What do you have to lose if you are constantly worried about what other people thinks about you? Nothing.

I used to be like this being worried about what other people thought of me. I was afraid that if I said something, I could be harming the friendship or making enemies. I learned that it is not worth your time to be worrying every minute about how to say things to please others. By worrying about it all the time really does take control of your life. That is why I did not want to live like this at all.

Understandably, There are some people who have thin skins and are extremely sensitive. However, On this case, Sometime we just have to have a thick skin to bounce back cuz walking on the eggshell is not always a fun thing to do.

The key is to proceed with respect. If someone does not like what you've said, That is their problem, Not yours.

Exactly.

I saw mention of Miss Coco's visit to you in your facebook - thought that was neat. I admire such a worldly traveler such as she. Keep on having a great visit! Uhmm.. cow's head? :eek3:

Yes, Miss Coco is a very busy gal! Hubby and I have rented a car with another great guy, Merico. He's DB and I tell you this. He's a wonderful DB advocate and good looking to boot!! He's on the other side of the rainbow! :giggle:

We're getting together this Friday and going to see the Deaf Culture Centre in Toronto. It'll be a champ day! Three white canes tapping together, tactiling and hubby is going to take it all in, of course, he will be our intervenor as well.

Just sooo excited, wheee!! I feel like a little girl on Christmas Day, you know?

Indeed!

:lol:

by the way, i'm used to sighted-hearing people not telling me about a small stain on my shirt. this kind of thing doesn't happen often to me, but when it does, it's something i can easily overlook. i don't take it personally since i don't know the real reason why a sighted-hearing person isn't telling me the truth in the first place.

I can really relate how you feel Liza. I just stay out of threads that's flaming because it does drain my energy. Not only trying to keep track of the pages, it is a lot on my vision but to recall back on how I used to be like those "energy vampires", I now have much more respect for others not to be the same one.

BIG HUGS!

When it comes to good friends, it is not so easy to be direct with them because there's the fear of losing the friendship. But in the grand scheme of things, giving people the opportunity of change through being direct is much better than losing a friendship. It shows you care about the person more than about yourself, and the person will perhaps see that someday! I think that's important to see that it's ok to stick to your integrity because in the end things will just work out one way or another. I definitely see that now.

I hear ya about the flaming threads. I admit I will have a sick need to have some popcorn and read some of them. :shock:

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Hugs right backcha!!

I'm afraid to say that to women but not men. I don't want to get a sexual harassment lawsuit... :aw:

IF you don't leer while saying 'her' fly is open -- no incoming sexual harassment suit? :lol: You sexist pig, you!

Yes, Miss Coco is a very busy gal! Hubby and I have rented a car with another great guy, Merico. He's DB and I tell you this. He's a wonderful DB advocate and good looking to boot!! He's on the other side of the rainbow! :giggle:

We're getting together this Friday and going to see the Deaf Culture Centre in Toronto. It'll be a champ day! Three white canes tapping together, tactiling and hubby is going to take it all in, of course, he will be our intervenor as well.

Just sooo excited, wheee!! I feel like a little girl on Christmas Day, you know?

Aw! I find that very fascinating but we should continue this in personal conversations. :lol:

For some reason I'm not even annoyed with the eggshells thing anymore.. glad to know I'm not alone! Thanks to all who posted, and feel free to post more anytime if one is so inclined to.

IF you don't leer while saying 'her' fly is open -- no incoming sexual harassment suit? :lol: You sexist pig, you!

but i LEER! I can't help it! You never know about these people.... such a litigious country we live in....

When it comes to good friends, it is not so easy to be direct with them because there's the fear of losing the friendship. But in the grand scheme of things, giving people the opportunity of change through being direct is much better than losing a friendship. It shows you care about the person more than about yourself, and the person will perhaps see that someday! I think that's important to see that it's ok to stick to your integrity because in the end things will just work out one way or another. I definitely see that now.

I hear ya about the flaming threads. I admit I will have a sick need to have some popcorn and read some of them. :shock:

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Hugs right backcha!!

Yes yes just glad to have friends over those years.

Heh heh you're not the only one!! I do have the sick need to look but not touch the keys!! :giggle:

Yes I agree with Mrs Bucket over the difference between sugarcoating and tact...

Yes, I prefer tact over sugarcoating... To my eyes, sugarcoating is a sort of "false" or "manipulation"...

Depend on our judge on the difference blunt manner between tact and tactless, sugarcoating or attack.

Example:

“I have no interest on your opinion because you are not an American” is a tactless blunt because I didn’t ask them for their opinion. Or threads over EU news - they said that it's not american news... Those tactless blunt shows itself is an arrogance and ignorant for don’t care about superficial things.

I consider being blunt and being honest is not the same thing. Being blunt mean is response someone in an uncaring harsh way which is rude. I want to be honest when the people ask for my opinion, I wouldn't lie to them but I make sure that my response should be tact, not tactless. It doesn’t mean that I have to be harsh and cruel because someone asked for my opinion. I know the truth could hurt but make sure it is tact, not tactless. I know it's not easy to deal with emotional people.

The problem is that some people don’t understand the difference. Yes you can be straightforward and truthful without being tactless. Example: What should you do if your friend has a bad breath? Would you blunt her or be honest (tact) to her or sugarcoat her?

I tried to ask myself what/why I am having trouble with? or maybe I am too quick to jump to conclusions? Too straightforward and tactless could ruin the relationship that’s why we need to think more before we say. That's why I prefer to ask the people for specific to aviod jump to conclusion or misunderstand...

Straight-talking in business and private doesn’t have to be blunt, sugarcoat or tactless, and tact definitely helps in many situations.

depends on the situation, really. Sometimes you do, sometimes you dont but normally im a what-you-see-is-what-you-get person.

I have learned that we cannot force people to change but we can only change ourselves and our approaches.

This is true. To add to the whole friendship issue (when friends have issues and we try to help, but we end up exhausted...)

Been there, done that....

I will preface this by saying *I* have issues, so I'm alittle scared that someone will up and leave me *me*, but here's the thing....

If someone is trying to get their life together, then I will hang in there. I have a "rule". I won't ask someone to do something *I* am not willing to do, but I expect them to TRY. That being said I've also ended a friendship because she was just too draining.

This person was clinically depressed and probably also had an anxiety disorder. Perhaps, even a panic disorder. I have similiar issues. Anyway, this person would call me up crying on the phone long distance threatening to end her life. I asked her to do something for herself. I suggested meds. She said no. I suggested support groups. no. She really needed therapy, but *I* was not in therapy at the time, so I didn't feel I could say to her , "get therapy" because I'd look like a hypocrite.

It didn't matter, anyway, because she was refusing to take any of my suggestions. Finally, she called me up crying one night threatening to take a butcher knife to her throat. The drama was more than I could deal with. I know that people generally don't threaten suicide, but I take *any* threat seriously and I said to "I'm going to call your Mother. You need help". She says "Oh, don't call Mom, pleaaase. I just need a friend." *sigh*

Well, to make a long story shorter. I said to her that I cared about her, but I really didn't know what to say to her anymore. I asked her to call me back when she was feeling a little better and we could talk. She never called me back. A few days later, I called her. She was irate and pissy. She said to me something like "You weren't there for me when I needed you!" Thats when I lost it. I said to her that I wasn't gonna play this game with her anymore. I told her flat out it wasn't healthy for me and to please get some sort of help otherwise I couldn't talk to her anymore. She refused, so that was the end of things for us. A few months later, I heard from her again. She wanted to give me a peice of her mind. As it turned out, Mom took the call because I was in the hospital fighting for my life. I didn't return her call until a year later. Anyway, she still hasn't gotten help. She thinks she's fine and I'm full of crap. Ah, well. Life goes on and all I/we can do is be there for people, but when they flat out refuse to accept the help given to them, we have to take care of ourselves.

My solution may not work for some people, but when your very sanity depends on it, sometimes, you just have to move on from those who won't do a lick of work on themselves.

i agree ocean. that's exactly why i chose to end the friendship with my best friend. i simply couldn't deal with her constant crying and complaining. it took a huge emotional toll on me and i could no longer handle it, so the only choice i had was to end our friendship. if she ever chooses to contact me again, i'd gladly welcome her friendship, but *only* if she is willing to follow the suggestions given to her by others instead of constantly asking for advice and not taking it.

I am confused...is this thread about our friends in real life or friends on AD? I am a little mentally burnt out so if this is a question that has an obvious answer, pls excuse me. :) Thanks!

I am confused...is this thread about our friends in real life or friends on AD? I am a little mentally burnt out so if this is a question that has an obvious answer, pls excuse me. :) Thanks!

I think friends online, but you know how threads derail on here. :giggle:

My apologies if I confused you.

I think friends online, but you know how threads derail on here. :giggle:

My apologies if I confused you.

I started talking about my best friend and today, when I reread the whole thread, I realized that I was confused so I asked to make sure.

As for online friends here on AD..I have a few that I really feel bonded with and that's good enough for me cuz to me, a few strong friendships are better than several artifictional friendships. I am not here to be "popular". I did that in high school. LOL!

As for walking on cracked eggshells here on AD, I dont but I do hold a lot back for fear of getting banned! :giggle:

Back