voters will blame GOP if default

Status
Not open for further replies.

netrox

Reaction score
Certainly good news for Democrats :)

"A plurality of registered voters said congressional Republicans are to blame in the event the debt ceiling is not raised in a poll conducted by Quinnipiac University from July 5-11.

When asked to whom they would assign responsibility should the limit not be raised, 48 percent of respondents chose the congressional Republicans; 34 percent said they would blame the Obama administration.

These results echo a Pew Research Center poll conducted from June 16-19 which asked the same question as the Quinnipiac poll. According to that survey, 42 percent of respondents said they would blame Republicans in Congress if the debt ceiling were not raised; 33 percent chose the Obama Administration."

Poll: Public Would Blame GOP In Event Of Default

Geez, what a surprising result. :roll:

After all, Republicans are against debt increases. Why would they support giving the green light to more debt?

Geez, what a surprising result. :roll:

After all, Republicans are against debt increases. Why would they support giving the green light to more debt?

Wait, do you realize that Bush increased 7 times? And that GOP voted to increase the ceiling... 19 times!

GOP is a hypocrite.

Wait, do you realize that Bush increased 7 times? And that GOP voted to increase the ceiling... 19 times!

GOP is a hypocrite.
Maybe they are trying to stop the runaway train of debt. You know, like when your credit card gets close to maxed out, maybe you stop looking on EBay.

All I can say is that it's not going to be a pretty sight once the country defaults.

I am surprised it is screw up blame on problem! blame think so wrong way! jeex i surprrised!

I am pretty sure if they all would just put a hold on their own paychecks, instead of Social Security, which is needed by a heck of a lot more people than them, they would come up with a resolution a lot more quickly.

A super cool way to increase tax revenue would be create more jobs by perhaps expanding important programs or spending on infrastructure, unfortunately even though it's a relatively good long term solution it will STILL require a higher debt ceiling and a short term spending burst. Unpopular ideas since everyone is kinda anti spending right now, but should produce good results.

Closing existing tax loopholes as well as reforming the brackets to bring a new top tier (maybe annual income of 500,000+) that pays Clinton-era percentages might be helpful too.

Won't happen, both Obama and the Republicans will get screwed over if the country actually defaults. They're putting on a stage show and then a week before the "default" might happen, they'll get together and eek out some kind of continuing resolution that will just kick the issue down the road and make everyone forget about the issue for another 12-18 months.

Well, Greece did default so who's to say that the USA won't?

Well, Greece did default so who's to say that the USA won't?

Massive riots happened in Greece when they defaulted. Who is to say it won't happen here?

I expect it won't happen. Because riots can cause a lot of damages and as result cost a lot of money to restore.

I expect it won't happen. Because riots can cause a lot of damages and as result cost a lot of money to restore.

You're too young to saw what happen after Dr King was killed. I was in Delaware the next day and saw all the damages that done. The people rioting do not care about the damages they cause, there are huge riots done by fans when their team lost a big game! It is too bad people did not feel that way.

You're too young to saw what happen after Dr King was killed. I was in Delaware the next day and saw all the damages that done. The people rioting do not care about the damages they cause, there are huge riots done by fans when their team lost a big game! It is too bad people did not feel that way.
Also the Watts riots, Rodney King riots, etc. We've had plenty of destructive riots in the USA.

Also the Watts riots, Rodney King riots, etc. We've had plenty of destructive riots in the USA.

There was a play in Boston in the late 60's or early 70's called 'Riots,'
it was about a young Black boy that was killed in a riot. My boyfriend was in it.
I can still remember how the poor boy was lying in the a pool of blood in the streets!

GOP is a hypocrite.
Most of them aren't against raising the debt ceiling- they're just against raising it without drastic spending (not some vague promise that probably consists of gimmicks and cuts in the out years that will never happen). Most of the Republicans absolutely opposed to it are newbies who weren't around during the Bush years. Still, it's weak to call it hypocrisy when they were fine raising the debt ceiling when the debt was below $14 trillion but feel uncomfortable doing it at $14 trillion. Besides, with regard to hypocrisy, do you really want to go there?

“Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that the buck stops here,” Obama said then. “Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. . . . I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”
On debt and Libya, it’s President Obama vs. Senator Obama - The Washington Post

And then he voted no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back