voters will blame GOP if default

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. No SSI for me >:l
By the way, just because this thing doesn't pass doesn't mean social security checks won't go out. There will be enough money to pay Social Security and according to Stephen Goss, Social Security's chief actuary, it's up to the treasury department (i.e. the administration) whether or not the checks go out.

Right now, it appears that the Americans only have around 2 weeks to come up with a plan or the country will default.

The best solution is probably the one everyone will come to hate. It'll have to be a national sales tax. What else can you do besides making cuts in some places which won't really make that big of a difference? So the NST (National Sales Tax) would be used solely to pay the national debt off.

All of you will have to make sacrifices for the sake of your country or it won't end well. Right now, the deficit equates to 1/10 of the country's GDP. It's mind-blowing that this has gotten this bad.

Uh... National Sales Tax will never be passed, and wouldn't solve the problem. Knowing the players, though, they'll end up with the Democrats agreeing to cut benefits on aid programs a tiny tiny bit, Republicans agreeing to raise taxes on the rich (or at least the middle class) a tiny tiny bit, and then both say "...and so that we don't ruin the country, we'll raise the debt ceiling by enough that it'll be the next congress/presidents' problem, whoever they may be."

Uh... National Sales Tax will never be passed, and wouldn't solve the problem. Knowing the players, though, they'll end up with the Democrats agreeing to cut benefits on aid programs a tiny tiny bit, Republicans agreeing to raise taxes on the rich (or at least the middle class) a tiny tiny bit, and then both say "...and so that we don't ruin the country, we'll raise the debt ceiling by enough that it'll be the next congress/presidents' problem, whoever they may be."

They only can make compromises for so long. Right now, they are beyond the point of no return. It'll happen eventually.

NST won't be what'll happen, though. It'll either be a dismantling/outsourcing of major functions of the government (Defense, Social Services, Education, etc) or a return of significantly higher tax brackets and tax rates for the higher brackets.

NST is a regressive tax that takes a higher percentage of your net worth/income the lower your net worth/income level is, which amounts to, instead of raising taxes on the rich, raising them on the poor.

NST won't be what'll happen, though. It'll either be a dismantling/outsourcing of major functions of the government (Defense, Social Services, Education, etc) or a return of significantly higher tax brackets and tax rates for the higher brackets.

NST is a regressive tax that takes a higher percentage of your net worth/income the lower your net worth/income level is, which amounts to, instead of raising taxes on the rich, raising them on the poor.

Higher tax rates aren't really going to make a difference because they won't be used to pay off the national debt, that's where the sales tax come in. If they want to stabilize the country, they'll have to raise both tax rates and introduce a new sales tax. Otherwise, the country is doomed to go into oblivion.

What did you expect after generations of people with self-entitlement issues? If people think they have it bad, try living in third world countries. If they want to continue living the way they are, they have to make sacrifices.

Also the Watts riots, Rodney King riots, etc. We've had plenty of destructive riots in the USA.

I'm too young for the Watts riots and the rioting that happened when MLK was killed (I actually was a newborn), but, I remember when people tore LA apart after the cops were aquitted of beating R.King. What a freakin' mess.

Question: Do you really think the country will default? I don't. I'm thinking along the same lines of someone above here that says that the "11th hr", Congress and Obama will eke out a deal. Meanwhile, they'll keep everyone in suspense and freak people out for the fun of it. *sigh*

The U.S. situation, according to Mintz, is not unlike what Canada faced in the mid-1990s.

In the 1990s, Canada's net debt to GDP ratio was close to 75 per cent - while the U.S. is sitting at 80 per cent right now. The crisis number - which is where Italy and Greece both are - is 100 per cent.

The solution, as most Canadians know too well, was spending cuts instituted by the Liberal government at all levels, which also caused fiscal drag as a result of public sector and government employees being laid-off.

No one, however, is going to quibble with the result: Canada remains on a strong financial footing compared to most jurisdictions around the world. The key, says Mintz, is to ensure the focus on whittling down existing deficits is not lost so that if another financial crisis erupts Canada will be able to weather another

What is Richardson's prescription for what ails the U.S.?

A combination of spending cuts and higher taxes through tax reform.

And while the notion of increasing taxes remains an anathema to Republicans, especially those of the Tea Party variety, Richardson's analysis shows if the government is to balance the budget by only decreasing spending, it would have to drop spending by 30 per cent. This is clearly out of the realm of possibility.

Read more: Yedlin: U.S. needs more than cuts to solve crisis

People need to take their rose-coloured glasses off and face the reality. The USA is in trouble and not much is being done about it.

Question: Do you really think the country will default? I don't. I'm thinking along the same lines of someone above here that says that the "11th hr", Congress and Obama will eke out a deal. Meanwhile, they'll keep everyone in suspense and freak people out for the fun of it. *sigh*

In the 1990s, Canada's net debt to GDP ratio was close to 75 per cent - while the U.S. is sitting at 80 per cent right now. The crisis number - which is where Italy and Greece both are - is 100 per cent.

80% is a scary number. People need to stop looking at this as a scaremongering tactic being used by the government and the mainstream media. This is a situation that cannot be averted by merely making some cuts in spending. Hard choices will have to be made.

The military alone takes more than half of our budget. MORE THAN HALF.
Think about that.

Right now, it appears that the Americans only have around 2 weeks to come up with a plan or the country will default.

The best solution is probably the one everyone will come to hate. It'll have to be a national sales tax. What else can you do besides making cuts in some places which won't really make that big of a difference? So the NST (National Sales Tax) would be used solely to pay the national debt off.

All of you will have to make sacrifices for the sake of your country or it won't end well. Right now, the deficit equates to 1/10 of the country's GDP. It's mind-blowing that this has gotten this bad.

Everyone wants to bitch about the debt being cleared, but no one wants to make any personal sacrifice to insure that happens. This is individualism taken to the extreme. Selfish and self centered is what it turns out to be.

Everyone wants to bitch about the debt being cleared, but no one wants to make any personal sacrifice to insure that happens. This is individualism taken to the extreme. Selfish and self centered is what it turns out to be.

Yeah. I'm hoping this wont' happen for real but I don't see any signs that this won't happen. I guess people will have to learn the hard way.

Let it default. Then drag the motherfuckers out of the capitol and shoot them in the streets. I'm fed up with this crap.

The value of the dollar will go way down. Might as well start hoarding the gold.

Let it default. Then drag the motherfuckers out of the capitol and shoot them in the streets. I'm fed up with this crap.

Let the heads roll!

Or to paraphrase the Red Queen, OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back