visual phonics

chunkymonkey

Reaction score
I am wondering what are your thoughts or experiences with visual phonics. I am a teacher of the deaf as well as hearing impaired myself. any positive or negative thoughts or experiences would be appreciated

From the research I read, I conclude that visual phonics would be a superior teaching tool to CS. I also believe that it should be used in conjunction with ASL for the optimum benefit.

Maybe so...but still will never teach 100% deaf-from-birth what anything sound like. "hello" and "здравствует" still be same easy pronounce.

Maybe so...but still will never teach 100% deaf-from-birth what anything sound like. "hello" and "здравствует" still be same easy pronounce.

Right. That is why visual phonics is more useful. The sytem is designed to address visual processing instead of just adding handshapes to auditory information.

jillo, one very clear memory I have is of sitting in my second grade classroom, a workbook page about syllabells and long and short vowel sounds, and being puzzled as fuck as to what I was supposed to understand/do. Would visual phonetics have helped with this?

jillo, one very clear memory I have is of sitting in my second grade classroom, a workbook page about syllabells and long and short vowel sounds, and being puzzled as fuck as to what I was supposed to understand/do. Would visual phonetics have helped with this?

I don't really know for certain, dd. But from what I have seen in the research, it has more promise than CS.

I don't really know for certain, dd. But from what I have seen in the research, it has more promise than CS.

Yanno, I know the Cued Speechies are all " THIS is the tool that will equalize us 100%" But, if it IS the key to improved literacy, then how come it's being modifiyed and changed and improved?

I admit - I not understand how visual phonics can work. How can use visual cues help auditory issue...?

Yanno, I know the Cued Speechies are all " THIS is the tool that will equalize us 100%" But, if it IS the key to improved literacy, then how come it's being modifiyed and changed and improved?

Exactly. And if it were the tool to literacy, why didn't we see those results back when Cornett came up with it?

Cued speech is a mode of communication where as visual phonics is designed to assist in phonemic awareness for literacy. There is a hand cue for 46 sounds of the english language. The research shows that is can benefit children with hearing loss in decoding in reading and encoding in writing. I think that I have nothing to lose by teaching phonics to my students. Hopefully it will benefit them.

I agree, except CS isn't a mode of communication, rather just a literacy tool. Either CS or VP could be used as a bridging tool...VP is more recent, and there are much more data, research, and resources available for VP than CS...so that's something to consider.

With that said, kids using exclusively ASL tends to naturally bridge with English as well, without the need for visual-based auditory input. I think it depends on each individual.

Yes, it's just like the way you'd use phonetics in say language arts, but you wouldn't use it any other time.

Thank you for everyone's input. I intend to use it as a literacy tool not as a communication device during language arts lessons. We will continue to communicate through the child's primary means of communication which is primarily ASL.

Cued speech is a mode of communication where as visual phonics is designed to assist in phonemic awareness for literacy. There is a hand cue for 46 sounds of the english language. The research shows that is can benefit children with hearing loss in decoding in reading and encoding in writing. I think that I have nothing to lose by teaching phonics to my students. Hopefully it will benefit them.

CS is not a mode of communication, nor was it ever intended to be a mode of communication. Just because the an organization attempts to distort it's purposes for their own profit does not make it something it isn't.

Back