Videos on CNN's website

Nesmuth

Reaction score
With the old tv tube being replaced by computer monitors, more and more people are watching TV and news through their monitors than the old TV tubes. This is our lovely society advancing.

I call to attention the fact that CNN's website news videos are lacking captioning or subtitling leaving approximately 30 million people with hearing disabilities in the dark on what's being said in those videos. http://www.cnn.com/video/

We need to call attention to CNN on making these webcast videos accessible to people with hearing and vision impairments. This includes subtitling and the means to expand the video window sizes.

As society advances, we need to make sure we can advance with them!

Richard Roehm

oh brother! That might be difficult because of money issue. We should remind them about our situation. Great idea to bring up your issue!

I think that LCD is better than plasma and HDTV because it last longer and much less fade quality later in years. I hope that the quality for the captions should be much better than the regular TV. Also, it should allow us personally to choose what kind of fonts, colors, uppercase or lower letters, and the fonts' sizes for our LCD monitors.

webexplorer said:
oh brother! That might be difficult because of money issue. We should remind them about our situation. Great idea to bring up your issue!

I think that LCD is better than plasma and HDTV because it last longer and much less fade quality later in years. I hope that the quality for the captions should be much better than the regular TV. Also, it should allow us personally to choose what kind of fonts, colors, uppercase or lower letters, and the fonts' sizes for our LCD monitors.

No, monitors don't have captioning decoders at all. It's the decoder software in these video players that is needed.

Last Thursday, FCC launched a review of closed captioning rules and is seeking comments.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-142A1.pdf

I've been talking to deaf people and deaf blind people and found the following:

1) HDTV captioning sizes is much smaller than the old TV. Captioning size should become user defined. A menu with size options like
SIZE 1 SIZE 2 SIZE 3

2) Choice of font and text backgrounding and colors needed for some deaf blind people.

3) Webcast videos need to have captioning and subtitileing capability programmed into the video players like realplayer, quicktime, and others.

More findings will come as I continue to talk to the deaf communities.

Richard

Oh well, Ted Turner who founded the CNN in Atlanta, GA, can sell the stocks and donate money to UNICEF since he already committed to public for one billon dollars in ten years to UNICEF.

You can write a formal email/letter to the board of directors and Time Warner Cable Chairman & CEO Glenn Britt who joined the Time Warner Cable corporate last month. You cannot blame stakeholders until you bring up the issues and they would be happily to meet your need in order to have CC or OC via online streaming new videos.

Let me know if they have not done to meet your need in long period. The answer is that the Time Warner chairman and his gang would cash their stocks from the public company (not likely private sector) and keep them in their pockets for not supporting ADA. You may want to research their home address, phone number, SSN (no kidding since I found the former Enron chairman Ken Lay’s SSN.hee..hee), number of worth stocks, etc., via the www.sec.gov. You may want to ask the Time Warner chairman and his gang to keep the cash from the public instead of sharing the customers like you are when you are paying the cable bill.

While you are planning to write, please remind them about Society Responsibility.

Michael...

unfortunatly, most of the companies care about MARKETSHARE. They base it on statistics, they will not sell or show to a market where there isn't many deaf inviduals. I'll believe when I see closed captioned on video clips.

I also agree with Richard

CNN's video's should be captioned.
If a deaf person is watching a video on the comptuer they can't understand it unless its captioned.
Margie
Dir.of Communication Services
OCDAC

CNN just launched pipeline and its like watching CNN tv commercial free on your pc screen for like 3 bucks a month. Hope NAD gets their butts moving to get these captioned or subtitling for them.

I like CNN and I'm sure many folks here do so lets push NAD to blow the horn on getting these captioned for us.

Richard

Yeah, we do need these captions..

Due to my previous job, I was told that
it could be easily adjusted done on the Internet chip
but its too difficult to explain here... This should have been
done years ago prior manufacturing and distributing ...

Hope NAD will do something about this. NAD should have
focus on pre-manufacturing and pre-distributing laws
to enforce these companies to meet and satisfy
our needs FIRST before manufacturing and before distributing
in order to keep up with the advanced technology standards.

Unfortunately, We are far behind technically.

i agree, however i kind of feel deaf nation tv shoul put captions on all of it's vidoes to prove a point,

Deafnation used to be a great monthly newspaper. However over the years they've blinked and spread themselves out too thin to be able to be thinking of the impacts of their actions.

Richard

Now I'm a paying CNN Pipeline subscriber and I DEMAND they be subtitled or captioned and NAD work harder to get these and other internet videos captioned ASAP!

Richard

Who are you complaining to? It's not CNN's fault that no web-based software (Windows Media Player, Quicktime, RealPlayer, etc) has any kind of system to decode captions. So, even if they could send the signal, you have no way to decode it on the web browser. You'd be better off complaining to Microsoft, Apple, or Real to get the feature you want on there.

Dennis said:
Who are you complaining to? It's not CNN's fault that no web-based software (Windows Media Player, Quicktime, RealPlayer, etc) has any kind of system to decode captions. So, even if they could send the signal, you have no way to decode it on the web browser. You'd be better off complaining to Microsoft, Apple, or Real to get the feature you want on there.

What kind of encouragement is this Dennis? CNN aint even broadcasing captions through the pipeline in the first place. Guess what? Windows Media and Realplayer both can do captions. Maybe you aught to be appointed the next Oklahoma Association of the Deaf president because they talk pretty much like the way you do.

Richard

Now I can use my Svideo input to watch internet TV on my 32 inch screen.

Unfortunately, I miss the captioning of Commander in Chief.

Richard

Attachments

• Photo 952.jpg
    Photo 952.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo 953.jpg
    Photo 953.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Photo 954.jpg
    Photo 954.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 6
Back