Video Phones???

KristinaB

Emotional Mess
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use a CapTel phone since I am verbal and just can't hear a thing. Most people in the deaf club I have joined use a video phone, but since I am still learning ASL I haven't thought about it.

Should I consider getting one? If so, should I wait until I know quite a bit more ASL? Would it be better just to use the netbook computer I have with built in webcam for internet video phone? I'm lost with it all.

My next purchase that I have to make is a vibrating alarm clock since I don't hear the clock we have and no one remembers to wake me in the morning.

I use a CapTel phone since I am verbal and just can't hear a thing. Most people in the deaf club I have joined use a video phone, but since I am still learning ASL I haven't thought about it.

Should I consider getting one? If so, should I wait until I know quite a bit more ASL? Would it be better just to use the netbook computer I have with built in webcam for internet video phone? I'm lost with it all.

My next purchase that I have to make is a vibrating alarm clock since I don't hear the clock we have and no one remembers to wake me in the morning.
www.hovrs.com ---> is your new friend, download P3 and get a new 10 digit number and you're set to go :)

I think Nathan will be more than glad to assist you. He's a purple represetative.

Hmm, interesting question... I suppose my next question would be how good are your receptive ASL skills? You could always use VCO with Sorenson. Looking at the P3 software, with a netbook it does look like a good option if you want to make VRS or VP to VP calls if you are somewhere with wifi access.

To answer your question though, it would really depend on your personal preferences. I've used my friends videophone and the videophone at my school and just love it!

Hello KristinaB and others who might be interested, welcome to Sorenson VRS® and if you want to hear a success story of a VCO user, go to Sorenson VRS® and there is several pictures on lower page, count from left to right by 9th picture. That guy is true VCO user, very good explaination.

The only requirement for Sorenson Videophone (VP-200) free installation is that your either Deaf or Hard of Hearing and has high speed Internet service Recommend speed of upload 300KBPS if don't have computer or 350KBPS with computer. If you met those requirement, then apply for free Sorenson VP-200 at Sorenson VRS®

Note: The website mention minimum speed is 256K which is true at the end of the unit. Most of the time you will get about 80% of actual speed provided by ISP, that is because of distance involved that can slow down. That is why I add on the top of minimum speed so it would reduce the chance of experiencing poor video quality.

If you wish to use text based relay service, then check out http://www.siprelay.com/ they do offer VCO for SIPrelay. You could use SIPrelay on computer, pager, even blackberries too. All you need to do is register at www.mysorenson.com to get 10 digit local number. Once registered, you can enjoy getting connected with your hearing friends and relatives.

DHB

I am hard of hearing but I prefer myself Deaf because if I wear without hearing aid then I cannot hear anything. When I was younger, I was good talking on the phone and hear little bit. But as I get older, I was getting hard time hearing on the phone so I used VCO sometimes, but mostly I use without VCO because I can sign well with no problem.

I am not sure about having VCO with Sorenson. If I wanted to use VCO, I have to have interpreter call me on the phone so she can connect me to a hearing caller. But, when I used OJO, you can use VCO through OJO and you would be hand-free which you don't have to hold the phone to your ear all the time. I am not sure if Z-340 does allow you to talk VCO on it instead of using the phone.

I like it to use it on OJO so I can talk using sign language and speak at the same time without the phone. That is so easy for me to use.

A 5 dollar timer with a lamp plugged in works well for " alarm clock" As for the VideoPhone, some use Voice Carry Over VCO. You still have to understand what the relay operator is saying to you though . This will be a new experience and interesting experience for you.

Do Private Message me here and I might can help you more. I can speak well and have a hearing loss myself . So, I can relate to what you are going through.

Good Luck !

I am hard of hearing but I prefer myself Deaf because if I wear without hearing aid then I cannot hear anything. When I was younger, I was good talking on the phone and hear little bit. But as I get older, I was getting hard time hearing on the phone so I used VCO sometimes, but mostly I use without VCO because I can sign well with no problem.

I am not sure about having VCO with Sorenson. If I wanted to use VCO, I have to have interpreter call me on the phone so she can connect me to a hearing caller. But, when I used OJO, you can use VCO through OJO and you would be hand-free which you don't have to hold the phone to your ear all the time. I am not sure if Z-340 does allow you to talk VCO on it instead of using the phone.

I like it to use it on OJO so I can talk using sign language and speak at the same time without the phone. That is so easy for me to use.

Will I be able to hear the other party while using VCO on the OJO, or will I only hear the interpreter? As far as I can tell, you can use the Z-340 the same way you use Z-OJO -- without needing to use a phone for VCO. As I've never used either one of the devices, I wonder if I would be able to hear the other party's voice, as I consider that to be as critical as being able to speak to the party.

Thanks for all the responses.

Nathan, I did PM you.

I'm still unsure whether it's what I need to do yet as I am still learning ASL. Also, my netbook I use with only wireless and I do not subscribe to a wireless provider. I get ti piggy-back with a neighbor (they are aware and have no problems with it). The speed sucks and I get dropped frequently. I can plug my AT&T high speed internet into the netbook without any problem, just then the desk-top will not have internet access. (sorry for my kids :giggle:).

I like the idea of the timer with the lamp plugged in, never thought of that. I've also been told to check in with people at my deaf club for ideas to use at home. My MIL does not want me to put any holes into her walls or things like that, so I have to be real careful whatever I do.

Thanks for all the responses.

Nathan, I did PM you.

I'm still unsure whether it's what I need to do yet as I am still learning ASL. Also, my netbook I use with only wireless and I do not subscribe to a wireless provider. I get ti piggy-back with a neighbor (they are aware and have no problems with it). The speed sucks and I get dropped frequently. I can plug my AT&T high speed internet into the netbook without any problem, just then the desk-top will not have internet access. (sorry for my kids :giggle:).

I like the idea of the timer with the lamp plugged in, never thought of that. I've also been told to check in with people at my deaf club for ideas to use at home. My MIL does not want me to put any holes into her walls or things like that, so I have to be real careful whatever I do.

you just need to add a wireless router to your at and t modem and this will allow you to use your netbook wirelessly and still use desktop for kids same time. instead of adding a wireless router, you could ask your at and t provider you want to swap the modem to a wireless kind and it will still have plugs for internet in it. less wires, and less mess. more for being MIL freindly !:D
As for holes in walls, none is needed. you just need to put a tv and vp in same room as your atandt modem is. you do NOT need to hook up the cable for tv for vp, so that eliminate any holes needed. wish I was nearby, I would've popped over for some advice and hook stuff up for you.:aw:

I like the P3, it has text, video with text or sign, lots of options. Nathan is a great guy and he will help you. Let me know when you get set up. I will give you my number and we can play, I need the asl practice too. I can also help with the text and video text. Nathan may do that anyway? Its free and super easy.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Heh, and welcome to Deaf 2.0 :laugh2:

It's what a terp told me when I got my netbook. :lol:

I like the P3, it has text, video with text or sign, lots of options. Nathan is a great guy and he will help you. Let me know when you get set up. I will give you my number and we can play, I need the asl practice too. I can also help with the text and video text. Nathan may do that anyway? Its free and super easy.

I will let you know when I get it. I think I will download it to both computers, my desktop and my netbook. Netbook has the built-in webcam, and the desktop doesn't have one yet. I can always hook my netbook up to my highspeed internet.

Deaf 2.0 :giggle:

KristinaB: let me know. I would love to chat with you.

Oh, don't remind me about Vegemite iSnack 2.0! :shock:

420isnack-420x0.jpg

Web, I dont know who has what, but I havent heard about that one.

Jclarke, what is that vegemite stuff? I only heard of it from some album years ago when I was hearing. The band was Men at Work? Is the stuff tasty?

Back