Vegetarian

what kind of area do you live in?

A city. But Iowa is a big meat producing state. So meat is cheap and vegan restaurants non existant.

Might be a few in one university town.

A city. But Iowa is a big meat producing state. So meat is cheap and vegan restaurants non existant.

Might be a few in one university town.

oh...... that sucks..... don't you have a place like Whole Foods?

You'd be surprised how many restaurants WILL let you do that if you call in advance. I have an 'inborn error of metabolism' which means that I cannot break down one specific aspect of protein- as a result, I have to watch my protein and limit it very much or I get pretty unwell. I also have several food allergies.

I have absolutely been in the situation where a group of friends was going out to a restaurant that I could eat nothing at, or I could only get a salad or the steamed veggies of doom.

I have been able to, on multiple occasions, call up the restaurant in advance and ask to bring in a meal which they will microwave for me. Yes, they can do that, and they often do. A few times, they have even plated it for me on matching plates so that my company (especially relevant if you're out for business) will not know that I didn't order from the menu.

I have also been able to bring in my own foods to be used in preparing my meal.. I once took in my own low protein pasta to a restaurant while they prepared the rest of my meal (a pasta dish, obviously.)

It never hurts to ask! A good restaurant will go out of their way to serve you- either by helping you create a dish that you CAN eat, or at least allowing you to bring in your own meal. You shouldn't have to stare at a wall and not eat with friends because of dietary limitations!

There are unfortunately restaurants that will not do that. Generally, you're going to have much better luck outside of the US, but I have been to quite a few restaurants in the US in which the person I spoke to did not bat an eyelash at my request!

Oh, i see. Im glad you took the time to explain that to me..I didnt know
some restaurants would allow you to bring your own meals for them to
prepare for you if you call in advance. Well, that is good as a lot of
people do have dietary restrictions that they cannot provide so im sure
they dont mind if you bring your own stuff. I wonder if you have to pay
them to prepare your food stuff for you? Seems like some restaurants
do have diet menus? I have seen some diet food in some restaurants
like Olive Garden, places like that. Usually people discuss with waiter/
waitress on what dietary food stuff they could order especially if you
are diabetic or something like that, right? Like telling them to leave off
salt or butter off their food, etc. or whatever you are allergic to, just
dont use on food.
You are right, it never hurt to ask ahead of time, by calling to ask about
whether you can bring your own stuff or whether they have certain
food that you can eat.

almost there

I have been a veg for almost an entire year :D
I love it and I'm not going back, I'm trying to be a vegan but living in my parents house, it will not be possible.
Anyone on here a vegetarian like me?

No chicken, no beef, no pork...

Egg and dairy (organinc or cage free eggs).

I am the only veg in my family and I get ridiculed for it by some. I had to do a lot of diet research to defend myself from the ignorant remarks. My dad and older half sister were the worst of the lot, but she lives in TX, and everything is MEAT MEAT MEAT... The restaurant food down there made sick. They put too much dairy in everything and overcook the vegetables. Salads are so sad and boring it makes me cry (iceberg lettuce--blah!). A health food store is like the rarest star in heaven, at least when I had to live there with ex.

I was never so happy to come back to WA! :)

My hubby is diabetic, high blood pressure, and on cardiac diet. He had an angina attack and had to go to the hospital. He is not veg but eats what I do. I sometimes make him organic chicken.

So we're no strangers to special diets. :)

No chicken, no beef, no pork...

Egg and dairy (organinc or cage free eggs).

I am the only veg in my family and I get ridiculed for it by some. I had to do a lot of diet research to defend myself from the ignorant remarks. My dad and older half sister were the worst of the lot, but she lives in TX, and everything is MEAT MEAT MEAT... The restaurant food down there made sick. They put too much dairy in everything and overcook the vegetables. Salads are so sad and boring it makes me cry (iceberg lettuce--blah!). A health food store is like the rarest star in heaven, at least when I had to live there with ex.

I was never so happy to come back to WA! :)

My hubby is diabetic, high blood pressure, and on cardiac diet. He had an angina attack and had to go to the hospital. He is not veg but eats what I do. I sometimes make him organic chicken.

So we're no strangers to special diets. :)

Is your husband overweight? No offense is intended, but excessive weight does lead to those things.

Genetic predisposition

Is your husband overweight? No offense is intended, but excessive weight does lead to those things.

No, he has a "genetic predisposition" for it in his family. He is not obese, and he does exercise. He has been losing 5-10 lbs. but diabetes is something he just found out he has. He takes pills for it instead of insulin. He has to watch the total carb intake.

The angina attack was scary. I thought he had a heart attack. It runs in his family (heart disease).

I was a vegetarian for four years - two years vegan and I do NOT believe it's an ideal diet.

There is overwhelming evidence that eating small amounts of animal products such as fish and dairy products are beneficial to a person's health. Also, you must understand that when we calculate the risks of premature death, it's usually in the range of 40 to 60 years participants, not for younger people. There is no strong evidence that consuming moderate amount of meats (as long as they are not charboiled, bbq) before the age of 40 is dangerous or harmful, as long as you reduce your meat intake as you age. When you age, your caloric requirement is also reduced and since meats are highly concentrated source of energy, it makes sense why eating too much is not a good thing.

No, he has a "genetic predisposition" for it in his family. He is not obese, and he does exercise. He has been losing 5-10 lbs. but diabetes is something he just found out he has. He takes pills for it instead of insulin. He has to watch the total carb intake.

The angina attack was scary. I thought he had a heart attack. It runs in his family (heart disease).

They do pancreas transplants now a days :)

I was a vegetarian for four years - two years vegan and I do NOT believe it's an ideal diet.

There is overwhelming evidence that eating small amounts of animal products such as fish and dairy products are beneficial to a person's health. Also, you must understand that when we calculate the risks of premature death, it's usually in the range of 40 to 60 years participants, not for younger people. There is no strong evidence that consuming moderate amount of meats (as long as they are not charboiled, bbq) before the age of 40 is dangerous or harmful, as long as you reduce your meat intake as you age. When you age, your caloric requirement is also reduced and since meats are highly concentrated source of energy, it makes sense why eating too much is not a good thing.

There is also overwhelming evidence that eating meat leads to heart disease.

I don't really understand why people choose to be vegetarians? Meat/Chicken/Fish are way too delicious to resist. Anyways how do I tell when a vegan is in a restaurant? That is when they're the person who spends an hour talking to the waiter, and then orders a plain salad with oil and vinegar on the side. :lol:

Most girls are vegetarians than guys, that's because they are trying to lose some weight by eating lot of fruits/vegetables. :aw:

It's probably true that many girls are vegetarians. Most women live longer than men due vegetarian, less work, and they have a free time to do their own exercise at home.

I admit to agree with you that some meats are delicious like pepperoni, chicken pot pie, etc. :drool: Actually, I have been a vegetarian for 20 years (except for fish and eggs only - no other meats). I am not against people who eat meats, but the more I hear from people's conversations and at some health conferences then this is how I became veggie.

aha, you must be the customer that talked a lot to a waitress! You are probably twisted the word from waitress to waiter. hmm. I don't know. Good try!

I heard that Noni (liquid bottle) helped some diabetic people's life improved.

Perhaps, a QXCI treatment service in your area might be worth it.

You could look up Noni and QXCI on Google.

I didn't see any Vegan restaurants in here. Many listed just have some vegetarian dishes in a meat restaurant.

I used to join a group of vegetarians and vegans at a local church two times a month. It cost me $5 or $10 to listen some lectures and shared their delicious foods on the tables. I stopped going there because of no deaf people.

Maybe, you might find one in your area.

I used to join a group of vegetarians and vegans at a local church two times a month. It cost me $5 or $10 to listen some lectures and shared their delicious foods on the tables. I stopped going there because of no deaf people.

Maybe, you might find one in your area.

Maybe, but I doubt there are deaf vegans in huge numbers here either. :)

We are no really vegetarians anymore, although we are trying to go back to pesco/ovo vegetarian eating.

We mostly cook at home.

*high-five* Vegan here! :) I turned vegetarian when I was 15 or 16 (don't remember) then a few years later I switched to being a vegan. So almost 10 years now without any meat! :cool2:

*high-five* Vegan here! :) I turned vegetarian when I was 15 or 16 (don't remember) then a few years later I switched to being a vegan. So almost 10 years now without any meat! :cool2:

Wow! You will probably definitely live much longer than most people.

I have a hard time to find a good vegan cheese at any store. I bought two different brands, and I still don't like the taste - I forgot the names. What brand vegan cheese do you like the most?

Last year, we went to a small vegan pizza restaurant near Boston, and the soy pizza was really good. It is way too far for us to drive there. We went to a "Green" conference somewhere outside of the southern Boston, and we happened saw that restaurant. Hurray!

Back