veddy veddy interesting....

posts from hell

Reaction score
I am a part of an ASL performance that was deemed one of the, if not the, most deaf-est performance ever. We're gonna bust out a tour :)

There are a ton of historical meanings, insights, connections in the performance that makes it much more "Deaf."

I got asked a VERY interesting question....

I was asked if the ASL performance would be covered with CART. The person in question can't use interpreters because they are a CI user that doesnt know sign language.

I am wondering... Can CART keep up with a rapid ASL dialogue that could spread 4 way at once? Will there be a lot of missing stuff due to loss in translation/time?

Oh that's so interesting. Sorry, I don't know if the CART can keep up with ASL dialogues.

That's good question. cool! by the way, why do CI users want to come and watch ASL performance?

Oh that's so interesting. Sorry, I don't know if the CART can keep up with ASL dialogues.

That's good question. cool! by the way, why do CI users want to come and watch ASL performance?

To learn more about their selves and the community they're in?

true, and see how deaf people do just fine and feel comfortable, confident and carefree without relying on some sounds.

I don't know, but if ASL have a voice interpreter for hearing people, a CART can use that voice interpreter. I believe Peter Cook had to do this... He sometimes check through CART to see if his voice interpreter is interpreting properly.

I don't know, but if ASL have a voice interpreter for hearing people, a CART can use that voice interpreter. I believe Peter Cook had to do this... He sometimes check through CART to see if his voice interpreter is interpreting properly.

Yeah.. We're talking about pretty fast ASL. There's some scenes where people get mad and they talk back and forth quite fast, like in an argument...

So, interpret that, then CART that...?

I guess it's the Same reasons why hearing people go. It's a new experience to learn about the community.

Also what PFH wrote.

Yeah.. We're talking about pretty fast ASL. There's some scenes where people get mad and they talk back and forth quite fast, like in an argument...

So, interpret that, then CART that...?

Almost impossible. Hopefully they prepare them ahead of time.

you know, some people thinkg ASL (especially poetry) should not even be interpreted in English. It's loses it value or something like that.

I guess it's the Same reasons why hearing people go. It's a new experience to learn about the community.

Also what PFH wrote.

I didn't see if PFH mentioned that hearing people asked for the CART but CI users did.

I didn't see if PFH mentioned that hearing people asked for the CART but CI users did.

oh, I thought you were asking why they want to come and watch. I have heard of hearing people asking for voice interpreters just so they can watch ASL performers.

Not me. I can't even function hearing people performance. Neckloop doesn't help either. I can't understand telephone too well or tv without captions unless they play it over and over and over again for me.

CI is useful for certain situations for some people.. not all.

... Can CART keep up with a rapid ASL dialogue that could spread 4 way at once? Will there be a lot of missing stuff due to loss in translation/time?
No interpretation/translation is 100% but that doesn't mean it's not worth using.
The lag time could be increased if the CART person is keying from the voice interpretation. That would make following the action more difficult.
Can the CART person work from a dress rehearsal performance and prerecord the transcription for playback at the later performance? That might provide a better text.

By now you probably lost any AD reading CI users due to FF letting them know how unwelcome lots of Deaf would find them.

No interpretation/translation is 100% but that doesn't mean it's not worth using.
The lag time could be increased if the CART person is keying from the voice interpretation. That would make following the action more difficult.
Can the CART person work from a dress rehearsal performance and prerecord the transcription for playback at the later performance? That might provide a better text.

This is a very good idea....I would love to have a CART for this performance....is this possible for you guys to do, PFH? Like some transcript?

Back