Using the words Hearie & Deafie

I think if someone feels like something they say could be offensive, then they probably shouldn't say it just in case. Does that make sense? Then, no matter what, you would be safe from offending someone.

Agreed.

Hold on, August! There's a reason that hearing people are called, "hearies." They're the ones that refer to deaf people as "deaf and dumb." Hence, "hearies" is okay, while "deafies" is not.

If a hearie called me that, they'd be sitting on their rump, wondering why I put them there.

Furthermore, as many deaf's know, for years, the hearies have treated us like trash. They have prohibited the useage of ASL, for starters . . . even going so far as tying hands so it can't be used. If I had learned asl as a child, I would be using it regularly and would have tons of deaf friends, not just those on alldeaf, which are still my friends. I've had way more problems with hearies, thinking they know what's good for me and not doing their job in teaching me. Tit for tat and the end indeed does justify the means. Respect goes both ways.
what?

are you admitting that "hearies" has a demeaning origin and that it's fine to use because hearing people deserve it? and how is "deafies" not okay? just for hearies, or for everyone?

what?

are you admitting that "hearies" has a demeaning origin and that it's fine to use because hearing people deserve it? and how is "deafies" not okay? just for hearies, or for everyone?

I agree.. If one finds it offensive towards them, then the other term shall not be used against the other.

Personally I don't find it offensive. I am not offended by being called a deafie and I would hope hearing people would not find it offensive of me calling them hearies.

But to think about it... the term, as in any term can be twisted to become offensive, by the way and how a person says it.

Any word can be offensive, if it is used in a malicious way.

I see the words Hearie & Deafie used a lot and I wanted to know whether I, as a hearing person, am allowed to use them when talking with you guys.

You guys are all so friendly and I just want to know whether I'd be stepping out of my boots or not.

Thanks

Why not call the individual by their first name instead of "Hearie" or "Deafie"?

Why not call the individual by their first name instead of "Hearie" or "Deafie"?

Hearing would have been short for "a hearing person" and Deafie would have been short for "a Deaf person".

I'll be using the full terms though to avoid the possibility of offending someone (hearing or deaf).

wow, I am guilty as charged. I do use the labels, deafies and hearies cuz it did not bother me or my hearing husband.

Any kind of label still offend someone else.

what?

Being called a hearie is not a demeaning origin and it's fine to use. Using deafies is not; the correct word to use is "deafs." It's referring to more than one deaf person and is plural. Deafies isn't a word.

traciedowell, years ago, my aunt, who was a first grade teacher, called me "deaf and dumb." I responded that I wasn't dumb. In fact, I still have yet to meet a dumb deaf person and, quite frankly, what does being dumb have anything to do with being deaf and vice versa? :confused:

We deafs have been picked on, made fun of, called derogatory names and now the hearies are crying foul? I don't think so. What comes around, goes around for hearies.

Because hearies INSIST on addressing what we can't do instead of addressing the person first. For example:

Wrong: The deaf man got off the bus, waited at the corner and crossed the street when the light turned green.

Better: The man, who is deaf, got off the bus, waited at the corner and crossed the street when the light turned green.

When I first joined here I had never heard the terms hearie or deafie but the more I read the more I realized they were just slang terms for someone who hears and someone who is deaf. I don't find them offensive at all. Just do some reading and you'll catch on in no time. :)

I guess it depends on the situation.

When it comes to signing between one another, I often see it used in ASL as "deaf" and "hearing". Since ASL does not follow standard English grammar, there isn't always a need for having to say the full thing... "hearing person" or "deaf person".

However, when it comes to talking online... then people usually use "deafie" and "hearie" to replace "deaf person" and "hearing person".

For instance...

"When I went to Denny's for dinner after a party, I noticed that the place had a bunch of deafies and very few hearies. I guess there's a bunch of deafies partying tonight and got hungry for a midnight snack."

Like I said, it usually varies on when and where it's used.

Back