Useful apps for Androids....

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I hope to start this thread to get useful apps that we would all share.

For example, please don't tell me, I like this app because I like to read about football.

Please do tell us about app that may save you 15% on football related merchandises.

I'll go first.

App: GasBuddy

I recently found about it last week. It's useful because it gives good prices on gas----especially if you are not local and wants the best price.

Kitchen Timer. It's a free app and it vibrates so I never let the laundry or cooking go unnoticed.

I have so many:
alldeaf- explains itself
battery solo widget - it a better visual to see battery life
BSA square knots - helps me to teach boy scout knots
bubble- I can check my work for levelness quickly instead of looking for my level
camscanner- I can scan documents to my phone with camera
compass- again for boy scouts
facebook- explains itself
fema- lets me stay in touch with disasters since I cannot hear radio
flashflight - let me use my camera flash as a flashlight - used many times
gasbuddy - find cheap gas near me or favorites
geocompass- lets me go in backwoods with scouts and teach
handyman calculator- many calculator for my handyman jobs
hp print - print docs,pictures to a printer from my phone instead of emailing to my pc and print from there
ipwebcam -lets me use my andriod camera as a pc camera
keepass driod- lets me keep all passwords in on place
kies air- lets me do many things to my phone from my pc
mypilot- for checking gas prices or features at that place on long trips instead of gasbuddy
qr scanner - if you dont have it - apparently you havent seen the new bar codes lately all over
skydrive- explains itself
skype -explains itself
tango - like skype but for those who use tango instead of skype
tivo- I have tivo so want to control it from my phone
twitter- explains itself
vibrate tools - lets me customize the vibration to make it longer or easier to recognize instead of the short default one.
whatsapp - better sms app
wifi analyzer - lets me figure out the weakness of signals in my house or freinds when they complain of issues so I can fix
z4 mobile - vrs app

there are many more I wont list for personal reasons - but perhaps this is a good start for you .

I have a lot of good apps.

- Advanced Task Killer
- Astro
- CardStar
- Notepad
- Tango
- QR Droid
- Brightest Flashlight

Derek, I am sure you will like Swiss Army Knife app. This app gives you a ruler, magnifying glass, compass, flashlight, etc. There are plenty of craft apps which simulate thread gauges for screws, it's awesome.

In addition, there are a few grammar apps I use, easily found at the android store. And, for software people an sjcp app for testing your java skills.

All are free and each app saves you money as you don't have to buy other tools.

Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint CapTel

The above link is to Wireless CapTel by Sprint. It is very useful to those of us that speak. It does mention using residual hearing but I have found that the main advantage of that is to know when someone first finishes speaking when receiving a call from you. If you can hear enough to know when they are not talking (don't need to have any idea what they are saying) you can immediately greet them to keep them from hanging up as the caption of what they said finishes coming in to your phone.

It really does NOT need a Sprint phone or the use a Sprint as your cell service provider. It just need a phone with the Android OS that is 2.2 or later, works on 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi. I am using it on either my Droid II or my Droid Pro. I have both activated on PagePlus which is a MVNO that uses Verizon towers.

I think they do a good job of explaining their benefits on their site. If you want to ask me any questions feel free to do so here.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey&hl=en
Swiftkey X is good for those who want to reduce time typing on touchscreen phones. It is not helpful if you have a phone with a physical keyboard. It predicts the words for you so you end up typing less.
It is expensive when it isn't on sale, but it's been on sale for $0.50 - $1.00 several times the past few years.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=si.modula.android.instantheartrate&hl=en
Heart Rate monitor also handy to have. It does not guarantee 100% accuracy but it is very close to heart rate measuring instruments. The paid pro version has advanced features (graphs and other stuff).

I have a lot of good apps.

- Advanced Task Killer
- Astro
- CardStar
- Notepad
- Tango
- QR Droid
- Brightest Flashlight

There's been debate and others have presented good reasons not to use Task Killers, they might be more detrimental than helpful. It is usually helpful from android manufacturers who add more junk on the framework (like HTC's random stock stuff), but others like Motorola/Samsung or Google phones should not use it.
http://lifehacker.com/5911623/top-10-pervasive-tech-myths-that-are-only-wasting-your-time

airdriod - to text and read text from android on your pc
aewsome, google it and go to their site bookmark it, handy

These are good apps for all us deaf out here... All available on the Google play store,

Sprint Captel for those that want to use own voice & read captions,

Google Talk for those that want to type only for relay calls,

Sorenson Ntouch for those who prefer to sign asl like me,

Listnote great for hearing person to talk & be able to read what they say,

I can't wake up free, alarm clock with great vibration option.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

My most recent addition to my apps is Google Goggles - not only helpful but fun.

getting new phone not sure wat to get.my use tx camera games fb good gamer email google internet i spend hours travelling.they say no limit to net use but it a lie.do you pay for each app avice what should i get

These are some of my favs, but they are for my iPhone, not sure if they are the same for androids?

The Weather Channel

Google Maps

Wells Fargo

You Tube

360 (taking photos at 360 degree angles - cool!)

ESPN SportsCenter

StopWatch (great for timing stuff!)

Just added Skype to my Android Apps. I've never used Skype in my whole life. Looking forward to using it there.

Maybe you need useful app to get you to Flint, MI, to help you get out alive.

Here is another good one:

Mightytext
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ive-sm/dkfhfaphfkopdgpbfkebjfcblcafcmpi?hl=en

Lets you use your computer or tablet to send text messages from your phone number.
Using a computer you can go to www.MightyText.net/web and sign in with your google account, and send texts from there.

mightytext.jpg

here's a screenshot of some of my current apps installed on phone.

Lml38tQ.jpg

Back