update on deaf school or hearing school

nancyj

Reaction score
hi all, been pretty busy so haven't been online in a while. Well we have chosen CSDF as our school of choice. Can't start going till Rhyanne is 3 unless I move to Fremont. which may be an option now that her dad and I have officially split because of her hearing loss we both just have to different outlooks. he can't except it especially now that she is profound in her left ear so now its more realistic to him since it changed so suddenly. On the bright side she will be 1 in just 6 days and my other daughter is on track to graduate in April instead of June...and she is only 17 a year ahead so proud if her! And Rhyanne is doing 5 signs now...dog( first sign and means any animal), milk more eat and celebrate...and she finnaly spoke her first word, Kitty ( again any animal is a Kitty ). LOL! I guess she likes animals.

CSDF is getting us a VP and a deaf role model not exactly sure what that means but will find out on Thursday.

anyways thanks for all your input before!

Very cute signs and first words :) I totally like the Kitty !! :)

Thanks for your update (sorry to hear you and the hubby split) but glad you have picked a school.

Keep us posted.

Awww...I am glad that you are moving int he right direction but sad to read about your split from your hubby. It cant be easy! Have been through one divorce already so I know how it feels.

Hang in there! :hug:

well we weren't married, but it is hard but best for me and my girls....I was a single mom to my oldest and she is great I know I can do it again

Nancy, still that's awesome that you've decided she IS going to Deaf School...only two more years! I'm psyched about that! Are you satisfied with her EI therapies? And one good thing about her having a profound loss in one ear (is that aidble or not?) is that it makes her seem "more" deaf on paper, so it should be easier for her to gain admission to Fremont....god we HOH kids get "oh you're not "deaf enough" TOO much....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

how adorable about the first word: kitty. sorry to hear about the split. i can see that you stands your own mind and do what you think the best for your girl. It's good to know that your girl is in the right direction.

hi all, been pretty busy so haven't been online in a while. Well we have chosen CSDF as our school of choice. Can't start going till Rhyanne is 3 unless I move to Fremont. which may be an option now that her dad and I have officially split because of her hearing loss we both just have to different outlooks. he can't except it especially now that she is profound in her left ear so now its more realistic to him since it changed so suddenly. On the bright side she will be 1 in just 6 days and my other daughter is on track to graduate in April instead of June...and she is only 17 a year ahead so proud if her! And Rhyanne is doing 5 signs now...dog( first sign and means any animal), milk more eat and celebrate...and she finnaly spoke her first word, Kitty ( again any animal is a Kitty ). LOL! I guess she likes animals.

CSDF is getting us a VP and a deaf role model not exactly sure what that means but will find out on Thursday.

Sorry to hear about the marital issues, but take comfort in the fact that happens quite often in families where a child is born with a disability. Doesn't make it any easier to deal with, I know, but helps a bit to know that this is not really uncommon.

Great news about the deaf mentor and the decision on the school.

Funny that any animal is a kitty. My son insisted when he was about that age that a horse was a cow. I corrected him so many times that I finally gave up and said "Fine, it's a cow!"

Happy to hear things are on the right track Nancy!! I think you guys having a Deaf Mentor will be wonderful.

Glad to hear she's getting access to everything she needs.

Cute first signs. :)

Hope things will keep on going well for you all.

WHAT?? ugh....wow, your husband does not accept his own deaf daughter? Grrr.. that reminds me of 1979 movie "And Your Name Is Jonah".

Sorry to hear about the marital issues, but take comfort in the fact that happens quite often in families where a child is born with a disability. Doesn't make it any easier to deal with, I know, but helps a bit to know that this is not really uncommon.

Great news about the deaf mentor and the decision on the school.

Funny that any animal is a kitty. My son insisted when he was about that age that a horse was a cow. I corrected him so many times that I finally gave up and said "Fine, it's a cow!"

did he remember that one? hehe

I really wonder if this might signal a huge change in Deaf Ed. When jillo's son and I were little, a HOH kid at a Signing dhh program was almost unheard of. Now there are actually HOH kids in schools and programs for the deaf.
If Schools for the Deaf could consistingly provide decent speech therapy AND Sign instruction, AND advertised themselves as HOH/spoken language friendly they would get a huge influx of kids. I do know that one reason why parents chose oral only is b/c they feel like ASL using programs don't have good speech services. That was true back in the old days I think.....but that's b/c a lot of the deaf school students back in the 80's were kids who didn't thrive orally.

I really wonder.....with the fact that the private oral programs are all but DEAD, and the fact that voice off is getting rarer, I wonder if the Deaf Schools will become better all around dhh ed resources.

I really wonder.....with the fact that the private oral programs are all but DEAD, and the fact that voice off is getting rarer, I wonder if the Deaf Schools will become better all around dhh ed resources.

CSDF is voice off.

Back