Ubuntu

I just upgraded (actually reformat and installed) Xubuntu 9.10 for my old Dell 500mhz laptop. I had to remove SDHC to IDE adapter and plug it to USB to IDE adapter and plug it to my desktop system to reformat and install Xubuntu then shut down the PC and remove the SDHC to IDE adapter and plug it back in laptop's IDE. It autoconfigures and setup drivers ect. It works nicely and desktop is much more "sexier" and black theme with dark blue background. I love it! It seem runs faster.

Xubuntuscreen-1.png

The sound chipset finally worked because on previous Xubuntu version, The sound chipset wasn't recognized and no drivers installed (it had been always a red X on speaker icon).

I am just fiddling around how well it work on Dell laptop.

Catty

Last edited:
Ubuntu 3D Cube

I just upgraded 9.10 yesterday on both my computers. Some of you don't know how to install the 3D Cube desktop, go to terminal and type this

sudo apt-get install simple-ccsm

once installed, you will see "Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager" in Preferences.

I am very surprise that GeFORCE GPU cards officially support Ubuntu/ Linux for some games by nVIDIA.

I am very surprise that GeFORCE GPU cards officially support Ubuntu/ Linux for some games by nVIDIA.

Yup, it is and same applies to ATI Radeon.

Ubuntu included graphic driver but sometime, it could be frustrated to upgrade to latest driver due need exit GUI/system, at least for anyone who is new to Ubuntu.

I prefer Nvidia because it runs faster and smoother on Ubuntu while running on Compiz. But newer ATI cards works same way now. Because Ubuntu 9.10 fixed the problem with my Acer's ATI Xpress 200m graphic chipset compatibilty. It used to be an issue that requiring compiling and configuring it.. Now just slip in CD and run Live CD. It works nicely.

Right now, I just got P3 netbook and planned to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix or Debian whichever would work. There are issue with Poulsbo driver for GMA 500. There are fix in it so I would just install it and install Poulsbo driver so video would work fine. It was just the only issue while rest of it just work.

here's the link if any of you are interested in Ubuntu compatibility for Netbook

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo

Catty

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running ubuntu 9.10. i am running the typical spec that come standard with the computer except upgraded to 4 gigs of ram. getting some windows games to work on ubuntu isnt really as hard as some may think. in fact i have gotten several games running just using wine. i simply installed the .net frameworks, direct x 9.0 and 10, and some other applications here and there. to get these games to really work though you need a pretty beefy graphics card. this is better suited to good quality nvidia and higer up AVI cards.

With that in mind be sure that you turn off any compiz fusion 3d effects that you are running, for that will crash games nearly everytime.

Alternativly there are many games for linux that can be downloaded for free for unix in general. much of these can be found on the internet and downloaded for free.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running ubuntu 9.10. i am running the typical spec that come standard with the computer except upgraded to 4 gigs of ram. getting some windows games to work on ubuntu isnt really as hard as some may think. in fact i have gotten several games running just using wine. i simply installed the .net frameworks, direct x 9.0 and 10, and some other applications here and there. to get these games to really work though you need a pretty beefy graphics card. this is better suited to good quality nvidia and higer up AVI cards.

With that in mind be sure that you turn off any compiz fusion 3d effects that you are running, for that will crash games nearly everytime.

Alternativly there are many games for linux that can be downloaded for free for unix in general. much of these can be found on the internet and downloaded for free.

Sound like you're good with WINES. I couldn't get it figured out when I installed several games. I tried to install Direct X and go it installed but it won't run installed game. I even download and installed Winestrick but didn't get the result. I was able to run some windows software on Wines and run it with no problem. But I can't get Z4 and other VP softwares to work on Wines.

I've installed and ran VMWare for Linux and Virtual Box with no problem but thing is that it's not a real propriety OS that works with all hardwares. But I was able to run Z4 in it with no problem and itlags. I agree that you'll need faster processor and beefy graphic card. I already have beefy graphic card but don't have Dual core AMD processor.

Catty

Sound like you're good with WINES. I couldn't get it figured out when I installed several games. I tried to install Direct X and go it installed but it won't run installed game. I even download and installed Winestrick but didn't get the result. I was able to run some windows software on Wines and run it with no problem. But I can't get Z4 and other VP softwares to work on Wines.

I've installed and ran VMWare for Linux and Virtual Box with no problem but thing is that it's not a real propriety OS that works with all hardwares. But I was able to run Z4 in it with no problem and itlags. I agree that you'll need faster processor and beefy graphic card. I already have beefy graphic card but don't have Dual core AMD processor.

Catty

I have a simple intel single core processor. noting special....and it is probably the dullest and oldest processor in the box. lag is a garentee when working with ubuntu and newer windows games. (of course unless u have the latest graphics card and a top of the line quad core processor)

I have a simple intel single core processor. noting special....and it is probably the dullest and oldest processor in the box. lag is a garentee when working with ubuntu and newer windows games. (of course unless u have the latest graphics card and a top of the line quad core processor)

Ok no problem. Same here, I have single core tho. I wanted to play some games that works well with Wines that consider "Gold" or "Silver". I tried to install and play but won't work at all. I must have done something wrong. The WinesHQ.com website did not explain much how to get it running.

I am going to check out Ubuntu 10.4 very soon. it's out already

Catty

Wow, I dont aware that ubuntu *CAN* runs smartphone like that:

[yt]qE_rDay9RJ8[/yt]

thats awesome cool!

Wow, I dont aware that ubuntu *CAN* runs smartphone like that:

[yt]qE_rDay9RJ8[/yt]

thats awesome cool!

Yes, Linux can run some smartphones depending on its hardware configuration. If it can installs and run on slow computer. I've successfully in installing Mephis Linux into mhz system. It runs slow but gets around no problem. So it's possible that Droid, Samsung Moment and any Android phones can work with Ubuntu. If it have 512mb memory or more installed. Ubuntu can run any system that have minimal hardware requirements of 100 mhz CPU, 128mb memory ect just to run desktop. Some linuxes are design to work with slower systems. Just be aware of it. That's their great advantage. Windows can't work except very very few smartphones that are powerful enough.

I have seen first "micro notebook" that ran Windows 95 back in 1987. They cost $1,000 for it and came with external hard drive.

Catty

I am new to Ubuntu but is there easy instruction installing it? I don't want to mess it up. I do have 2 hard drive. I want it similar to dual booting system so I can run both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I am such a newbie wanting to learn how to use Ubuntu. I don't want to mess it up and little concerned about it.

I am looking old version ubuntu for my old laptop. My laptop is Dell L400 and which version that will able to running on my old laptop? Ubuntu 4.10?

My old laptop specifications:

Documentation

Yes, Linux can run some smartphones depending on its hardware configuration. If it can installs and run on slow computer. I've successfully in installing Mephis Linux into mhz system. It runs slow but gets around no problem. So it's possible that Droid, Samsung Moment and any Android phones can work with Ubuntu. If it have 512mb memory or more installed. Ubuntu can run any system that have minimal hardware requirements of 100 mhz CPU, 128mb memory ect just to run desktop. Some linuxes are design to work with slower systems. Just be aware of it. That's their great advantage. Windows can't work except very very few smartphones that are powerful enough.

I have seen first "micro notebook" that ran Windows 95 back in 1987. They cost $1,000 for it and came with external hard drive.

Catty
Dude, Really?! WOW, very interesting!

Honestly- Didnt Linux realize the Unix operating system of the version kernel codes is best suit for mobile devices instead PC? ANDROID, and WebOS platforms are very popular than ever. the worldwide now look up at them which runs smartphones or touchscreen phone.

back on this topic- Whoa, another ubuntu runs on the famous NEXUS ONE (powerful Processor
Qualcomm 1 GHz), look below:

[yt]XOgZz1FKtpE[/yt]

I am new to Ubuntu but is there easy instruction installing it? I don't want to mess it up. I do have 2 hard drive. I want it similar to dual booting system so I can run both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I am such a newbie wanting to learn how to use Ubuntu. I don't want to mess it up and little concerned about it.

Either you swap hard drives or install Ubuntu on top of Windows. boot into Windows and then slip in Ubuntu. Once pop up screen show up, just click "Install on Windows". Basically, Ubuntu build "virtual" partitions then install Ubuntu after reboot. You will see two options when you power up PC "Ubuntu" "Windows 7" ect.. It's a good start because if you don't like it or Ubuntu got screwed up to Grub been screwed up. You can boot into Windows and go to Add/Remove program and find Ubuntu on list then delete it. Simple as is. No harm done to Windows smile

Catty

@ redwolf, if, if, IF you felt not satisfy with ubumtu, I just suggest, you give a try ubuntu netbook on PC, has are full packages like IM, etcs.. it looks really nice and will work on regular pc, not require netbook pc. ;)

Back