Ubuntu

@ redwolf, if, if, IF you felt not satisfy with ubumtu, I just suggest, you give a try ubuntu netbook on PC, has are full packages like IM, etcs.. it looks really nice and will work on regular pc, not require netbook pc. ;)

Use regular Ubuntu running on LiveCD. Download Ubuntu i386 iso file and burn ISO image to CDrom. Then slip in CD drive and boot it up. Once you see screen listed, choose "Live CD boot" So you'll try Live Ubuntu Desktop. If you decide to install. Boot up to Windows and slip in Ubuntu Cd. Wubi program will show up and you can click "Install inside Windows". In that way you can reboot and select Ubuntu and try out. If you don't like it, you can always boot up to Windows and go to Add/Remove program and scroll down to "Ubuntu" and uninstall it. It'll remove Ubuntu and boot up selection.

If you have Netbook, Be aware that NOT all netbook are compatible with Ubuntu Netbook Remix or straightforward Ubuntu due to hardware compatibilty. Here's the link :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

I have Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (1010) netbook (actually a P3 netbook itself). It would work with Ubuntu Netbook Remix but the problem is that Intel GMA 500 graphic chipset is especially a headache. Once Ubuntu Remix installed, you'll have to go to Ubuntu's website link of Poulsbo driver. It only works with Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10. (8.10 does work but require compiling driver). And also must have ethernet connection (hardwired network) to allow you to use restricted hardware driver to detect Dell's Broadcom wireless card and install driver. Once it's installed Wireless card works wonder and GMA500 detected and ran smooth. BUT!!>>> if you got Ubuntu's system update (Update manager popped up and ask you if you want to update it.). Once it's updated, it'll break GMA500 driver but leaving Dell wireless card driver intact. I've tried to re-download PSB driver and install it over new Kernel, it failed!..It's the Kernel update that caused it. My advice is that if you do get update, UNCHECK Ubuntu Kernel update but leaving rest of other alone. In that way you can keep Poulsbo driver. That's my lesson that I learned. Some Netbook works like wonder like several Asus EEE netbooks and other brands that works great. If anyone have Nvidia ION graphic chipset, they're damn lucky cuz it can be installed by using restricted hardware finder to install it.

If anyone have Dell Inspiron Mini 10v (1011--- one with TV card installed and have different graphic chipset such as GMA 450), it'll work just fine with no issue.

Catty

I finally reinstall Ubuntu 9.10 (not Netbook Remix) and then download and installed Poulsbo driver through terminal. OFC I copied and pasted it from Poulsbo site in Ubuntu Wiki.

Also I noticed that Ubuntu 9.10 (regular one) couldn't detect Dell Broadcom driver so I use my USB Wireless adapter which is 100% compatible with Linux. So I searched website and it turned out that I only need to go to Synapic package manager and to re-install BCM driver then refresh it then reboot it. I unplugged USB wireless adapter then rebooted the netbook. Finally it detected BCM wireless card then logged in my Dlink wireless router quickly.

Then the last thing I did was disable the Update Manager to prevent updating kernels. That'll take care of the problem just for now until 10.04 get new poulsbo driver (I sure hope they definitely will keep PSB driver regardless of kernel updates.

It turned out that PSB driver would work with kernel 2.6.31-14 up to 19. More than 2.6.31-19 would break PSB driver and even fail to work if download and install for the first time. So that's why I turned off Update Manager.

Now my Dell Mini 10 works nicely on Ubuntu.

I even download Google Chrome Beta for Linux. I am currently typing AD posting on Chrome. Nice and fast.

Catty

Whooooo! if it happened. the world would ditch MSFT windows into toliet!

Valve has taken a Left 4 Dead-style shotgun to rumours that it is working on a Linux compatible version of its Steam platform.

The studio is opening Steam up in terms of formats this year - promoting Steamworks on PS3 and transferring the service to Mac.

However, the firm has quashed any suggestion that it may be looking at another windows rival.

When asked if it was working on a Linux version of the digital game sales platform, Valve's Doug Lombardi told GI.biz..

CVG

Use regular Ubuntu running on LiveCD. Download Ubuntu i386 iso file and burn ISO image to CDrom. Then slip in CD drive and boot it up. Once you see screen listed, choose "Live CD boot" So you'll try Live Ubuntu Desktop. If you decide to install. Boot up to Windows and slip in Ubuntu Cd. Wubi program will show up and you can click "Install inside Windows". In that way you can reboot and select Ubuntu and try out. If you don't like it, you can always boot up to Windows and go to Add/Remove program and scroll down to "Ubuntu" and uninstall it. It'll remove Ubuntu and boot up selection.
Yeah, where can I find liveCD? i am wondering if I can use two separate HDDs? like its one for WIN and one for LinUX instead of dual boot in same HDD?

hey foxac you can try check ubuntu forum for that wifi to work? it ought work somehow..if u need help with it PM me.. I could find some ways for ya

Back