Ubuntu

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ubuntu 9.04 has installed so successfully on my ASUS notebook but only issue is WiFi is unable to turn on, just grayed out and I went to modified in file to get work but only 50% chance because it will disable bluetooth and allow WiFi to enable, my WiFi card is Atheros AR928X and some suggestion that need update the kernel but still same problem since Ubuntu does include WiFi driver.

I need both WiFi and bluetooth to enabled in both.

Graphic card drivers work so fine.

I need bluetooth for tethering the Blackberry or something like that.

Oh damn, wifi got messed up like not work then work then not work.

It's very stubborn.

Oh damn, wifi got messed up like not work then work then not work.

It's very stubborn.

Did you use Madwifi Linux driver for Atheros?

My laptop have Atheros AR5005g but it's Acer problem cuz it require two separate driver, Acer ACPI and Madwifi must be installed in order to have stupid "wireless on/off" button in front to turn on or off the Wireless mini-pci card working. I didn't bother installing Ubuntu on my Acer and Just don't want to bother with it cuz of crappy ATI 200M graphic chipset that don't work too well with any Linuxes.

I believe that if I take out Athero AR5005g mini-pci card and transfer to another laptop, supposed I say HP laptop, It'll works with Madwifi pre-compiled in Ubuntu.

To be honest with you... I have similar issue with Xubuntu on my old 500mhz laptop.. I use Rokn Wifi USB adapter plugged into my laptop and Ubuntu auto-configured it and it works very well (Of Course, Rokn wifi USB adapter is 100% Linux/Mac compatible) but I noticed that the signal goes from 100% to 5% then back to 100% intermittently. It's kinda like every few minutes. It doesn't bother my network speed at all. It seem normal when I use it. It could be a minor bugs in Xubuntu Jaunty Jackrabbit.

On my desktop using Ubuntu, It was steady without intermittenly changing signal strength like I mentioned above.

Strange :shrug:

Catty

Ubuntu 9.04 has installed so successfully on my ASUS notebook but only issue is WiFi is unable to turn on, just grayed out and I went to modified in file to get work but only 50% chance because it will disable bluetooth and allow WiFi to enable, my WiFi card is Atheros AR928X and some suggestion that need update the kernel but still same problem since Ubuntu does include WiFi driver.

I need both WiFi and bluetooth to enabled in both.

Graphic card drivers work so fine.

I found out your Wifi card is a PCI-E..

Wonder if you just go ahead and purchase different brand card that would works with Linux effortlessly. If I were you, I would swap Wifi mini card for different brand to shut the hell up and connect!! But you might need to research it's brand, Avoid Broadcom chipset at all cost!! cuz it won't work with Linux.

:rofl:

Sometime you'll have to visit Madwifi website to find out if they have linux driver for both Wifi and Bluetooth. The programmer who work for Atheros also is a Linux programmer so he programmed one for Linux. I don't know if he still does.

here's the link : http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Compatibility/Atheros and scroll all the way down below for your Atheros wifi card model... It seem that he was frustrated with this similiar card like your card he was working on. He didn't say about Bluetooth part..

Look at AR5005G which is my Acer Aspire's Atheros chipset and on first paragraph and you'll see link for Acer Aspire 5040 to get it working. I already checked this out some time ago and didn't want to mess with it, same reason, stupid ATI Xpress 200M issue. There are similiar Acer 5040 with better ATI Xpress300M and 1300M which is newer on same model!!! Grrr! Lucky for them who have newer chipset on same 5040!!

I hoped I helped :shrug:

PS: If it's an issue with your Atheros, Why not buy Cirago Micro Bluetooth USB adapter. It works 100% with Linux, just plug in and it'll autodetect Cirago and get it up and running in no time. Tethering Bluetooth with BB is very effortless.. But to warn you, My Curve did rebooted itself when Ubuntu tried to connect to Dialup. After couple reboots on Curve on its own, it works like charm on 3rd times and afterward. I don't know why. It could be my BB's new OS 4.5.0.131.

Catty

Last edited:
have you tried installing linux-backports-modules-jaunty-generic? I've heard that works with the AR928X.

have you tried installing linux-backports-modules-jaunty-generic? I've heard that works with the AR928X.

Which Jaunty-generic you are talking about, If that be the case, give Foxtrac a link. He's the one with sucky Athero AR928X chipset.

Catty

Did you use Madwifi Linux driver for Atheros?

My laptop have Atheros AR5005g but it's Acer problem cuz it require two separate driver, Acer ACPI and Madwifi must be installed in order to have stupid "wireless on/off" button in front to turn on or off the Wireless mini-pci card working. I didn't bother installing Ubuntu on my Acer and Just don't want to bother with it cuz of crappy ATI 200M graphic chipset that don't work too well with any Linuxes.

I believe that if I take out Athero AR5005g mini-pci card and transfer to another laptop, supposed I say HP laptop, It'll works with Madwifi pre-compiled in Ubuntu.

To be honest with you... I have similar issue with Xubuntu on my old 500mhz laptop.. I use Rokn Wifi USB adapter plugged into my laptop and Ubuntu auto-configured it and it works very well (Of Course, Rokn wifi USB adapter is 100% Linux/Mac compatible) but I noticed that the signal goes from 100% to 5% then back to 100% intermittently. It's kinda like every few minutes. It doesn't bother my network speed at all. It seem normal when I use it. It could be a minor bugs in Xubuntu Jaunty Jackrabbit.

On my desktop using Ubuntu, It was steady without intermittenly changing signal strength like I mentioned above.

Strange :shrug:

Catty

Both of suggestion won't work, I tried to install madwifi but it won't shown on hardware driver.

Both of suggestion won't work, I tried to install madwifi but it won't shown on hardware driver.

:hmm: did u read the link that I provided for u? He said that there are issue with this card like u have. Have u tried Ubuntu forum for info and advice?

Have u thought of ripping out mini-PCIe card and swap out with one that works with tux?

Catty

:hmm: did u read the link that I provided for u? He said that there are issue with this card like u have. Have u tried Ubuntu forum for info and advice?

Have u thought of ripping out mini-PCIe card and swap out with one that works with tux?

Catty

Yup, I know that but I just abandon my stupid ASUS notebook.

I'm considered to install Linux on my desktop and it should be ZERO hardware issue.

I'm sticking with Mac for laptop.

Yup, I know that but I just abandon my stupid ASUS notebook.

I'm considered to install Linux on my desktop and it should be ZERO hardware issue.

I'm sticking with Mac for laptop.

I don't blame ya.

Be nice if you sell it to me. Nah, didn't have that $$$ to spend anyway.

I'm pretty persistent on trying to get it shut up and run!! I managed to get 500mhz Dell system to run on Xubuntu 9.04 with no problem. The only thing is that the sound is no longer working. I don't bother that part cuz why bother trying to get sound working when I'm just deaf!! :giggle:

I know not all hardwares are compatible with Linux, I just buy some hardwares that WOULD work with Linux period!!

My Acer is one exception!

Catty

I remember I used Ubuntu and it sucks because of my motherboard and other hardwares are old that not support ubuntu so I decided to remove ubuntu. But now I have better and faster computer! I thought why not I reinstall Ubuntu and see if it's work, I think it should be ok cuz my computer is faster and better, so right now I am looking for CD that had ubuntu in already :D

I remember I used Ubuntu and it sucks because of my motherboard and other hardwares are old that not support ubuntu so I decided to remove ubuntu. But now I have better and faster computer! I thought why not I reinstall Ubuntu and see if it's work, I think it should be ok cuz my computer is faster and better, so right now I am looking for CD that had ubuntu in already :D

You can download it and burn on CD.

If you need WiFi then make sure if it is Intel, at least for notebook.

You can download it and burn on CD.

If you need WiFi then make sure if it is Intel, at least for notebook.

I already have ubuntu in CD but I dont remember where did I put somewhere. I will find it and will reinstall. My motherboard is intel.

I already have ubuntu in CD but I dont remember where did I put somewhere. I will find it and will reinstall. My motherboard is intel.

What version of Ubuntu that you use? 9.04?

Just warn you about Linux isn't easier as Windows does.

What version of Ubuntu that you use? 9.04?

Just warn you about Linux isn't easier as Windows does.

lol thanks for warn me about Linux. I don't know what version in CD, I will installed in my computer and find out what's version Ubuntu so I will let you know ;)

When I installed ubuntu in my computer, can it update version?

lol thanks for warn me about Linux. I don't know what version in CD, I will installed in my computer and find out what's version Ubuntu so I will let you know ;)

When I installed ubuntu in my computer, can it update version?

If you can't find Ubuntu disk, Just download it again from this website!

Then burn ISO into CD if you know how.

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

Good luck.

It is better to use the newest Ubuntu.

Catty

If you can't find Ubuntu disk, Just download it again from this website!

Then burn ISO into CD if you know how.

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

Good luck.

It is better to use the newest Ubuntu.

Catty

This CD is old I download a year ago. I will download then burn ISO into CD again. I can set up dual boot XP and Ubuntu but I will use XP most of the time til I know familiar with Ubuntu.

Tell me which best burn ISO program? I have many empty of DVD-R, can I use it for Ubuntu?

I installed Ubuntu 9.04... WHOA! it's faster than XP. Finally internet access is working, last time I use old version and internet access didnt work! I glad I like ubuntu cuz faster start load than XP. I will use Ubuntu and XP.

I installed Ubuntu 9.04... WHOA! it's faster than XP. Finally internet access is working, last time I use old version and internet access didnt work! I glad I like ubuntu cuz faster start load than XP. I will use Ubuntu and XP.

Glad you like it. Ubuntu have always been fast at boot up and connect to the internet before you can even realize it. EXT4 is a new filesystem for Linux which speed up your computer faster than EXT3.

Back