U.S. City With the Smartest People Is...

daprilz

Reaction score
...Minneapolis, Minnesota. That's the word from researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater who studied statistics from five categories and 13 different measures of literacy to provide a ranking for all cities with a population of 250,000 or more. The literacy profile for each city included citizens' educational level, newspaper circulation rates, library resources, number of periodicals published, and the number of booksellers.

Look what literary treasure they found in this church in Wisconsin that is valued at $20,000!

The 10 most literate U.S. cities are:
1. Minneapolis, Minnesota
2. Seattle, Washington
3. Denver, Colorado
4. Atlanta, Georgia
5. San Francisco, California
6. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
7. Washington, D.C.
8. Louisville, Kentucky
9. Portland, Oregon
10. Cincinnati, Ohio

The least literate cities are (in descending order): Los Angeles, California and Toledo, Ohio (tie); Fresno, California; Jacksonville, Florida; Memphis, Tennessee; Santa Ana, California; San Antonio, Texas; Detroit, Michigan; Long Beach, California; and Corpus Christi, Texas. And the least literate city in the United States is El Paso, Texas.

Originally posted by daprilz
...Minneapolis, Minnesota. That's the word from researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater who studied statistics from five categories and 13 different measures of literacy to provide a ranking for all cities with a population of 250,000 or more. The literacy profile for each city included citizens' educational level, newspaper circulation rates, library resources, number of periodicals published, and the number of booksellers.

Look what literary treasure they found in this church in Wisconsin that is valued at $20,000!

The 10 most literate U.S. cities are:
1. Minneapolis, Minnesota
2. Seattle, Washington
3. Denver, Colorado
4. Atlanta, Georgia
5. San Francisco, California
6. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
7. Washington, D.C.
8. Louisville, Kentucky
9. Portland, Oregon
10. Cincinnati, Ohio

The least literate cities are (in descending order): Los Angeles, California and Toledo, Ohio (tie); Fresno, California; Jacksonville, Florida; Memphis, Tennessee; Santa Ana, California; San Antonio, Texas; Detroit, Michigan; Long Beach, California; and Corpus Christi, Texas. And the least literate city in the United States is El Paso, Texas.

Very interesting...it's funny it didn't affect my literacy skills as I lived in Los Angeles for 2 years. :lol:

Goldie

Oh I live in most literate city #3. 258 to know.

Originally posted by Lasza
Oh I live in most literate city #3. 258 to know.
VERRRYYY 222222222222222555555555555555588888888888888 I AM ALMOST NATIVES HERE OH UMMMM in my own opnion it aint make any difference at all ..

258.. minney! my home state. consdiering going to U of M next fall 2004 after community college is done :)
i have known this since, it's been the top for yrs.

that's the reason there's a top hosiptal here in minney too.

w00t.. i live in minnesota too, and yay for us! wwweeeee!!! *wonders why msad has a really low reading level* *whistles innocently* =X

Originally posted by pinkster
w00t.. i live in minnesota too, and yay for us! wwweeeee!!! *wonders why msad has a really low reading level* *whistles innocently* =X

*wonders why MSAD low reading too* hmmm.. it's odd they add it to first huh?

I wonder if MSAd is required to follow the reading and math stadard test law in order to graduate?

Back