Two NYC cops shot and killed in car; shooter killed self

Do you think Mayor De Blasio should resign?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No opinon

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
No. You read far into more than was there, probably just to start an argument. Typical of you.

There is no reason to repeat my intentions. I made them plain the first time. Unlike Jiro, I do not flood the forum with threads critical of police officers. To question why he would say what he did in the context in which he said it was not argumentative, I asked for clarity.

There is no reason to repeat my intentions. I made them plain the first time. Unlike Jiro, I do not flood the forum with threads critical of police officers. To question why he would say what he did in the context in which he said it was not argumentative, I asked for clarity.

flood the forum with threads critical of police officers? this is why no one believes you. and you've dug your own grave even deeper.... you've basically validated our suspicions by saying "there is no reason to repeat my intentions". you didn't deny what we said about your intention.

moving on and we're going to ignore you now like an annoying gnat because that's what a bug zapper is for.

1247068_f260.jpg

This thread is about two dead policemen, not about Jiro and Steinhauer.

I'm concerned about how many people "liked" the cop-killer's posts, and possible copy-cat killers. :(

New York Police Add Precautions After Ambush
New York City officers going out on foot patrol were directed to work only in pairs. Sentries were posted at station houses. The department suspended patrols by auxiliary officers — thousands of unarmed volunteers who act as eyes and ears for the department. Detectives, who usually operate alone or in pairs, were told by the head of their union to go out in teams of three.

A flurry of notices by police union leaders stopped short of urging members not to respond to calls for help, but prescribed steps for putting their own safety first, whether that created a deployment problem for commanders or not. The changes could reverse two decades of policing conceived by Mr. Bratton in his first stint as city police commissioner, and push the force into a reactive mode.

it is really quite disturbing to see how manipulative police unions are. fear-mongering and threatening mayor with non-actions and distasteful P.R. I hope Mayor de Blausio can fix this mess and bring about major reforms for NYPD as the police unions have historically muscled the politicians into caving into their demands.

this is what I meant about NYPD needing a sweeping reform. Majority of officers are good people but there are some very shrewd people on far up in the ladder like police unions and commissioner with a great disdain on Constitution and civil rights. if NYPD was not appreciative of Mayor de Blausio's defense for people's constitutional rights to peaceful, non-violent protest about NYPD... then I fear for people's civil rights and liberty.

Steinhauer - you're all about Constitution and civil rights. are you aware that NYC (especially NYPD) believes 911 should be citizens' Amendment Two? are you also aware that NYPD believes you're guilty until proven innocent with its Frisk-and-Stop policy? are you aware that NYPD blatantly disregards and disrespects state laws by entering NJ whenever they want without a courtesy to inform us to spy and investigate on certain Muslim people?

You're defending the wrong kind of people, Steinhauer. I've lived here way too long enough to see thru NYPD's cleverly manipulative PR machine. Let me remind you.... NYPD is #1 largest police force in USA with one of the largest police budget in America. so large and insanely powerful that NYC is basically a state with its own intelligence agency, military, and government. Everything is all about terrorism for NYPD. Don't be surprised if NYPD is painting Ismaaiyl Brinsley as a terrorist with some connection to some gang or terrorist organization.

Once he arrived in New York City just before 11 a.m., Mr. Brinsley promised even greater violence, this time directed at the police, in Instagram postings. He invoked the memory of two unarmed black men who died in altercations with the police, Eric Garner on Staten Island and Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.

Officers said he knew the city: He was born in Brooklyn, where his mother lives; his sister lives in the Bronx. He had been to the city at least once in the week before the killings.

On Saturday, outside the Barclays Center, Mr. Brinsley discarded an iPhone he had earlier stolen from Ms. Thompson.

He made his way to central Brooklyn, emerging about two hours later on Tompkins Avenue, off Myrtle Avenue, in Bedford-Stuyvesant. There, he struck up a conversation with two men, Chief Boyce said, and said three things.

“He asked them for their gang affiliation; he asked them to follow him on Instagram; and then he says, ‘Watch what I’m going to do,’ ” Chief Boyce said.

Mr. Brinsley went north on Tompkins. He passed the patrol car with Officers Liu and Ramos inside. He circled, crossed the street and came up behind the car. From the sidewalk, he fired four bullets. He ran.

Two men in a Con Edison truck saw the shooting and, rather than running away, went after Mr. Brinsley. They shouted to nearby officers, pointing toward Mr. Brinsley, who then descended into a G train subway entrance on Myrtle and Marcy Avenues. Chief Boyce praised the heroism of the utility workers.

Officers converged on the street in a cacophony of sirens and frantic shouts. The fatally wounded officers were lifted from the patrol car, each into a separate ambulance that sped away trailed by a stream of blaring police cars. Around the car lay the officers’ bloody bullet-resistant vests, a gun belt and bits of glass.

Other officers flooded the subway platform. There Mr. Brinsley was discovered lying on the silver semiautomatic gun, nine bullets left, two MetroCards in his pocket. His last shot was a bullet to his temple, which officials said he fired himself.

Brinsley was really bold to execute these officers in broad daylight near the police station. scary....

a very weird coincidence about a slain Florida police officer...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/21/us/florida-officer-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
The slain officer, Charles Kondek, was a 17-year veteran of the Tarpon Springs Police Department.

Kondek, 45, was a New York City police officer for five years before moving to Florida, the sheriff's office said.

I wonder if there's any connection about his death with NYPD shootings.... probably not but I can see a bunch of conspiracy theorists working overnight on this....

New York Police Add Precautions After Ambush

it is really quite disturbing to see how manipulative police unions are. fear-mongering and threatening mayor with non-actions and distasteful P.R. I hope Mayor de Blausio can fix this mess and bring about major reforms for NYPD as the police unions have historically muscled the politicians into caving into their demands.

this is what I meant about NYPD needing a sweeping reform. Majority of officers are good people but there are some very shrewd people on far up in the ladder like police unions and commissioner with a great disdain on Constitution and civil rights. if NYPD was not appreciative of Mayor de Blausio's defense for people's constitutional rights to peaceful, non-violent protest about NYPD... then I fear for people's civil rights and liberty.

Steinhauer - you're all about Constitution and civil rights. are you aware that NYC (especially NYPD) believes 911 should be citizens' Amendment Two? are you also aware that NYPD believes you're guilty until proven innocent with its Frisk-and-Stop policy? are you aware that NYPD blatantly disregards and disrespects state laws by entering NJ whenever they want without a courtesy to inform us to spy and investigate on certain Muslim people?

You're defending the wrong kind of people, Steinhauer. I've lived here way too long enough to see thru NYPD's cleverly manipulative PR machine. Let me remind you.... NYPD is #1 largest police force in USA with one of the largest police budget in America. so large and insanely powerful that NYC is basically a state with its own intelligence agency, military, and government. Everything is all about terrorism for NYPD. Don't be surprised if NYPD is painting Ismaaiyl Brinsley as a terrorist with some connection to some gang or terrorist organization.

I am not sure why you are directing those questions at me. All I wanted to know was why there was a dust up between the NYPD and the Mayor.

For the NYPD to turn their backs on the mayor when he visited the hospital tells me that a) they do not respect him and b) want whatever it is they don't respect him for to be known publicly.

I will need a bit more convincing before I can believe it was just because they are "thugs". There are bad cops everywhere, just like there are bad hair stylists, bad mechanics, bad grocers, bad waitresses etc. for an entire Department to make a public "snub" on the Mayor tells me there is more to this than meets the eye.

But, you are right though, I don't live there. However, an entire segment of my family lives in NYC and they are respectful of law enforcement officers.

I am not sure why you are directing those questions at me. All I wanted to know was why there was a dust up between the NYPD and the Mayor.

For the NYPD to turn their backs on the mayor when he visited the hospital tells me that a) they do not respect him and b) want whatever it is they don't respect him for to be known publicly.
no problem. next time - you should ask a question like that instead of asking a childish offensive question like "so you agree with the shooter?".

I will need a bit more convincing before I can believe it was just because they are "thugs". There are bad cops everywhere, just like there are bad hair stylists, bad mechanics, bad grocers, bad waitresses etc. for an entire Department to make a public "snub" on the Mayor tells me there is more to this than meets the eye.
well.... did bad hair stylists, bad mechanics, bad etc. shoot people? beat up people? and then get away with it?

let me make myself abundantly clear once again. bad cops? no I've made it abundantly clear that many NYPD is good people but it's the leadership that I'm concerned about because their defense on bad cop's behavior is directly or indirectly encouraging bad behaviors in police officers that are causing a deeper and deeper rift between police and public because everybody knows it's very difficult to prosecute police officers.

look at how they're handling Eric Garner. they're protecting their officer instead of harshly rebuking him. "Chokehold is not illegal in New York but against a department policy". really? seriously? downplaying it?

that reminds me. I'll make another thread about Richmond police department. they did it right. very right.

But, you are right though, I don't live there. However, an entire segment of my family lives in NYC and they are respectful of law enforcement officers.
yes.... until they get accosted by some bad cops and they're gonna get away with it as always. that's the problem about NYPD.

Then why the dust up? Why did the entire Department turn their backs? There has to be a reason. I have never seen anything like that before.

Then why the dust up? Why did the entire Department turn their backs? There has to be a reason.

Post #9 and #14.

Because of lack of support from mayor for NYPD for the past several incidents. NYPD didn't take it well when they got criticized by Mayor.

Mayor de Blasio stated that he welcomed a peaceful non-violent protest afforded by Amendment One. NYPD did not appreciate it. Cops turning their backs on Mayor de Blasio is an example of NYPD's decades of history disrespecting and disdaining people's civil rights.

I'm not a fan of Mayo de Blasio but he's right about one thing... people should not be fearful of police officers. NYPD did not like that one bit at all.

Thanks for filling in the blanks. I am just wanting to know why the NYPD did what they did - and it is starting to make sense now. I don't think it is political, but it could be.

I am not as familiar with the Garner case as I should be, I don't know the details. I know an unarmed person was killed by being placed in a choke hold and that is about it. I know in situations like that, a lot of misinformation gets tossed around. That is why we have the Justice system to find all the facts.

I know it is easy to perceive a cover up if the end results do not fit our pre-conceived views of how things really should have happened. I know the incident made a lot of people upset and angry.

Still no reason to shoot a cop though. Especially, however, cops that had nothing at all to do with the Garner case. The only thing that will result is a message being sent by thugs that thuggish behavior is going to be forced on an innocent population - and cops are really your only defense from it. Especially in NYC, where the nation's strictest gun laws exist.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. It is a sad situation. I wouldn't want to be a cop in NYC right now, that's for sure. They certainly have my respect.

Thanks for filling in the blanks. I am just wanting to know why the NYPD did what they did - and it is starting to make sense now. I don't think it is political, but it could be.
when it comes to NYC.... everything is political. that's the nature of the beast. that's why I don't live in NYC and I actually would like to live farther away.

I am not as familiar with the Garner case as I should be, I don't know the details. I know an unarmed person was killed by being placed in a choke hold and that is about it. I know in situations like that, a lot of misinformation gets tossed around. That is why we have the Justice system to find all the facts.
that's the problem. the justice system has failed and has historically failed the public for years when it comes to police. that's why Mayor de Blasio made a comment that the public should not be afraid of police officers.

I know it is easy to perceive a cover up if the end results do not fit our pre-conceived views of how things really should have happened. I know the incident made a lot of people upset and angry.

Still no reason to shoot a cop though. Especially, however, cops that had nothing at all to do with the Garner case. The only thing that will result is a message being sent by thugs that thuggish behavior is going to be forced on an innocent population - and cops are really your only defense from it. Especially in NYC, where the nation's strictest gun laws exist.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. It is a sad situation. I wouldn't want to be a cop in NYC right now, that's for sure. They certainly have my respect.
no cop should ever be gunned down for any reason but no people should ever be killed by cops over petty things either and then get away with it.

All I can add is if I was a NYPD Officer, and the Mayor made a sweeping generalization like that about the Police, I would be deeply offended.

But, I am not a NYPD or a cop. I can just see why they turned their backs. Bravo to them. They lost two of their brothers, the Mayor should respect that.

His actions are somewhat similar to a person showing up at your family member's funeral that is not welcome. And then blaming the family for being offended by his presence.

All I can add is if I was a NYPD Officer, and the Mayor made a sweeping generalization like that about the Police, I would be deeply offended.

But, I am not a NYPD or a cop. I can just see why they turned their backs. Bravo to them. They lost two of their brothers, the Mayor should respect that.
Police officers' deaths happened on mayor's watch. It's his job to go out to hospital whenever officers get shot in the line of duty. It's a respectful thing to do. What would it look like when officers died in the line of duty and Mayor de Blasio did not go? He would be heavily criticized for it.

NYPD should respect that.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/21/us/new-york-police-officers-shot-reax/
Former New York Gov. George Pataki and police union officials quickly lashed out at New York Mayor Bill de Blasio. The governor accused de Blasio of putting officers' lives at risk because the mayor supported recent protests over the killing of Eric Garner by a New York police officer who was not indicted.

Pataki, a Republican, cast disdain at the Democratic mayor and the U.S. attorney general in a post on Twitter.

"Sickened by these barbaric acts, which sadly are a predictable outcome of divisive anti-cop rhetoric of Eric Holder and Mayor de Blasio," he tweeted.

Pataki was referring to de Blasio's and Holder's support for peaceful protests that decried alleged police brutality in the killings of Eric Garner in New York and Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, two unarmed black men.
Giuliani: Blaming mayor an 'overreaction'

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said Pataki was wrong for making those comments. "That's a very damaging thing to say," Giuliani told CNN on Sunday. "It's an overreaction. That is not true."

Other mayors have lost officers, Giuliani said, and officers were killed during his term as mayor. He added that his heart went out to Bratton and to de Blasio.
It is obvious that Mayor de Blasio did not have any anti-cop rhetoric. He was in a very difficult position because the public was furious and not allowing a peaceful protest would be viewed as a violation of First Amendment and it would further a deepening distrust between NYC government/NYPD and people.

Former Governor Pataki was very wrong to criticize Mayor de Blasio that way. Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani criticized Pataki for making such distasteful comment.

In the light of grand jury declining to indict Eric Garner, Mayor de Blasio addressed to public that the city is safe because of police officers and New Yorkers should be afraid of the criminals, not the police.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12...o-in-wake-of-eric-garner-grand-jury-decision/
“He spoke about, ‘we have to teach our children that their interaction with the police and that they should be afraid of New York City police officers.’

On the nationwide police blog Police One.com, there was similar outrage in posted comments, CBS2’s Jessica Schneider reported.

“New York City Mayor and the entire New York City Council sided with criminal of 31 prior arrests Eric Garner,” one commenter wrote.

“Have you heard the Mayor of New York press release. Wow. 35,000 cops just got (expletive) slapped,” another wrote.

As CBS2 Political Reporter Marcia Kramer reported, Mayor de Blasio responded calmly to the criticism on Thursday afternoon.

“I never get caught up in what critics say, especially when they have an agenda,” he said.

The mayor insisted on Thursday that he has done nothing but support the NYPD and praise them.

“I said there is a history and there is a reality a lot of people feel fear,” de Blasio said. “It’s not that they should; it’s that they do. And we have to address it.”

Also on Thursday, de Blasio issued a letter to his fellow New Yorkers, calling Garner’s death a terrible tragedy and outlined the city’s plan to improve relations between law enforcement and the community. He and NYPD officials also discussed the retraining of about 22,000 patrolmen.
NYPD needs to remember that people comes first. The Constitution and civil rights come first. Apparently by turning their backs on Mayor de Blasio for simply respecting people's rights to peaceful, non-violent protests - no matter how distasteful their protest is about.... NYPD has shown its true color that NYPD does not respect people's constitutional rights and civil rights.

I think you missed my point entirely. He was criticized for making an appearance by the entire force after promoting anti-cop rhetoric which you are willingly not recognizing. If it was a couple of police officers making this claim, I would be able to brush it off.

It was the entire Police Force ... all of them. And yes, you did call them thugs. That is anti-cop rhetoric. This has got to stop.

I think you missed my point entirely. He was criticized for making an appearance by the entire force after promoting anti-cop rhetoric which you are willingly not recognizing. If it was a couple of police officers making this claim, I would be able to brush it off.

It was the entire Police Force ... all of them. And yes, you did call them thugs. That is anti-cop rhetoric. This has got to stop.
How so? You admitted that you're not familiar with Garner case and what's happening in NYC. Perhaps you should read more about it first and then tell me if I missed the point entirely.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said Pataki was wrong for making those comments. "That's a very damaging thing to say," Giuliani told CNN on Sunday. "It's an overreaction. That is not true."

Back