Twinkies is going out of business !

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it'd be a private business, we would not have postal inspectors and there would be no fines/penalties for anyone who opened or stole someone else's mail.

True, but the private business would lose customers if it kept happening. They would have incentive to protect the mail.

Just like UPS and FedEx does.

That is what lawsuits are for. It is much harder to sue government than private businesses.

If it'd be a private business, we would not have postal inspectors and there would be no fines/penalties for anyone who opened or stole someone else's mail.

Oh my bad for being lousy manager, I didn't realize you want that snack bar, it will be $5.95, please. Oh, alright I'm giving you discount of 1% for inconvenience, then $5.89 please.

Too much for me. I'm going to smuggle in some snacks. :lol:

Oh my bad for being lousy manager, I didn't realize you want that snack bar, it will be $5.95, please. Oh, alright I'm giving you discount of 1% for inconvenience, then $5.89 please.

Thanks for the discount, but I'm going to smuggle in some Twinkies. I have some left in a box in the garage. Darn things last forever. ;)

Your lucky, I just ran out of twinkies. Hope your stock last long enough.

In other words... LOL!

Thanks for the discount, but I'm going to smuggle in some Twinkies. I have some left in a box in the garage. Darn things last forever. ;)

Wow, unions are fighting with executive over 1.75 million dollars bonus, I divided it by 18,500 workers and it comes out average of just $94.59 for each employee. Crying for under 100 dollars? :ugh3:

Even though I know 1.75 million dollars is a lot for one person or two but not much for everybody, so their argument is moot point. I would easily understood the object if it is in tune of Billions.

Wow, unions are fighting with executive over 1.75 million dollars bonus, I divided it by 18,500 workers and it comes out average of just $94.59 for each employee. Crying for under 100 dollars? :ugh3:

Even though I know 1.75 million dollars is a lot for one person or two but not much for everybody, so their argument is moot point. I would easily understood the object if it is in tune of Billions.

It isn't fair share for employees.

It is common for executive to spoil the companies when they goes bankrupt, so they got fat paycheck.

How can 95 dollars going to make difference for them if it were paid directly to employees rather than executives and go bankrupt anyway?

Often executives have to work at least 80 hours a week, there are no overtime pay for them, so bonuses often substitute for overtime pay, PLUS at least half of these bonuses goes to taxes, don't you know that?

Bottom line, both sides actually lost anyway.

Those unionized employees may have lost the job and battle, but they get to get Social Security benefits when they get retired, and can get safety net monies from government after exhaust the union benefits, WHILE executives can not get safety net, and will not be able to get Social Security benefits at all in their lifetime, even if they become disabled. This makes executives bonuses like a drop in a bucket, because half of them goes to taxes, the rest they gotta to figure out how to save up for retirements by themselves. Crying aloud for 95 dollars difference? RME!

I just remembered, there was a factory near my house. That factory was undergoing bankruptcy and the CEO got fat bonus, of course employees were pissed off and protests. Afterwards, found out why CEO got bonus is because CEO himself threatens with investors that he will walk off if he gets nothing EVEN during middle of bankruptcy. If CEO walks, the company will collapse instantly. So, bonus were given to him to stay though the bankruptcy until the door finally closes so that investors can get portion of money back.

:wave:

I'm a local, I read in the newspaper that the reason the employees had issue was the company itself was asking more and more of the employees, there was an employee that was open about her pay, she was paid $10 dollar a hour, after many years of service. Its the typical companies themselves the CEOS getting the most out of everyone's sweat and hard work... its like the male lion of africa eating his first share while it was the lioness working together on the hunt...

So for some of the comments about unions, and some "factory" workers making 40-50 a hour its not true for all factories, some are high while many others are low.

For the twinkies themselves. There are more and more people not eating them just because they're all nasty chemicals in there, it wasn't like this when they started the twinkies, it was all good yummy stuff but later they started to add chemicals, same stuff they use in many nasty things none of us would even think about putting in a food product when making our food at home. I'm not going to waste my time or breath trying to get all twinkies for myself for ol times sake, but I'm kicking myself for not buying them right away to capitalize on sales from the hysteria itself. :roll: Just saw a box go for 27 on ebay. Yikes.

Yeah, and I have not buy single Twinkies for years. Unions can cry but this is reality. The reality is that there is no such thing as job security.

How can 95 dollars going to make difference for them if it were paid directly to employees rather than executives and go bankrupt anyway?

Often executives have to work at least 80 hours a week, there are no overtime pay for them, so bonuses often substitute for overtime pay, PLUS at least half of these bonuses goes to taxes, don't you know that?

Bottom line, both sides actually lost anyway.

Those unionized employees may have lost the job and battle, but they get to get Social Security benefits when they get retired, and can get safety net monies from government after exhaust the union benefits, WHILE executives can not get safety net, and will not be able to get Social Security benefits at all in their lifetime, even if they become disabled. This makes executives bonuses like a drop in a bucket, because half of them goes to taxes, the rest they gotta to figure out how to save up for retirements by themselves. Crying aloud for 95 dollars difference? RME!

Your math works do nothing to employees because they want fair share so CEO got nice mansion, nice suit, nice car, private airplane, luxury stuff while employees are middle class so they still struggle with bills. Executives don't have physical labor as employees because they have to work hard while CEO sit in nice desk chair and nice wooden desk.

My grandma is retired union employee at telephone company and she started work in 1950's after withdrew from university until retired in 1990 so she doesn't have mansion or luxury life so she is much standard like middle class families.

I'm kind of conflicted when it comes to unions. Here's why.

I met someone at college who was previously in a union working for a local factory. The factory closed and all the workers were let go. He was in college because his wife encouraged him to go into IT work.

He was about 45-50, had a nice 4 bedroom house with two-stall garage. A large RV setting on the driveway, a large fishing boat, an arsenal of expensive guns, a tricked out workshop with all the tools you could want, two Ford 250s trucks (only 3 years old at most), 3 older cars. He told me he was being paid $60k a year at his union job.

And he was complaining constantly about how it wasn't enough money and the factory owners are cheap bastards, etc.

All I could think to myself was:

-- Most people in my area would be thrilled with a job paying $25k, because that's the midrange in my area. It's a good start.
-- $60k is nothing to sneeze at. With a good savings and investment plan and controlling one's expenses, that's enough to fund a nice retirement.
-- You have all this shit laying everywhere, man. That's where your money is going. Sell some of it. Invest it.
-- $60k a year!!! Man, I would be happy with that.

Of course, he may have been in debt up to his eyeballs (see commercial), and I avoid debt as much as I can, but still. My impression was that of a crybaby who didn't know how good he had it. And now that it's gone, he still doesn't know how good he had it.

In fact, these union workers at that company had the best lifestyle of most people in this area. They had the new, huge trucks. Fishing boats, RVs, etc. And they were constantly complaining about how screwed over they were by the company. Many other people here weren't really believing it, because they could see how much better they were living and showing off their toys.

I realize that this is not the way it is for every union worker, but my general impression is that union work tends to be paid much better and they are still complainers. I would be so grateful for pay like that.

Last edited:
Let me tell you something. Suppose, there is no APWU (Postal Union), USPS would screw our life up for sure. Thank God for APWU to protect our jobs from evil managements. That's a fact. Another example: w/o union, we might be given two-weeks vacation per year, even though we work for at least 25 years...w/ union, we get 5-weeks vacation per year.

And those 5 weeks of vacation come at a cost to the consumer and the owner (OR in this case USPS) that. is exactly the point he is making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back