Turning the Tables..

im curious, while lip reading, how do you represent the speech so that its understandable?

I mean, when I feel playful and try to lip read someone, I try to use a voice in my mind to overlap the lip movement to see if it matches.

I am wondering what the process is for you to be able to lip read effectively?

speech reading is something that requires practice. and some people are better at it than others, thus why some deafies are able to pass off as hearing to the hearing population, and others are not.

i personally dont try to 'dub' a voice in with the speech. I just look for the mouth shape and possible other cues such as body language to determine what the speaker is saying. This obviously isnt 100% effective as some people are just near impossible to speech read while others are easier.

. . . If I was rude...then ooops. Oh well..hope it made him think twice and maybe count his blessings like I do and not focus on what he doesnt have. Was I rude? LOL!

Well, shel, ahem, it's like this. If he was looking for sympathy, he didn't get it from you. You weren't offering him sympathy, nor were you being dishonest with him. I think I would have said the same thing if I was in your shoes. Now, another thought occurred to me, as well. He may have been hitting up on you. If so, your response got his goat. ;)

Back