Turning the Tables..

Sounds to me like you are living in the wrong kind of place. :lol:

Heater is still broken but it warmed up yesterday so last night was kinda warm..now, there is a ferocious storm going on now making the temps plumment.

Wood burning stove sounds like a good addition to my house..I saw one on sale at Target..looks nice!

Yup, but the flue (chimney) starts at 25 bucks a foot!

Off-topic...

From what I've heard, nights in the desert can get quite cold. Is that true, Shel?

Yea it can but Phx has several "No burn" days where burning fireplaces are forbidden.

Yup, but the flue (chimney) starts at 25 bucks a foot!

If Shel had a fireplace already, an insert would only be the cost of a cast iron stove and make the fireplace more efficient.

But she doesn't have a fireplace so she could get a free-standing soapstone stove, the flue for this doesn't cost much.

What about the labor associated with building a chimmy? Just curious...

It needs to be done professionally since it needs exact measurements and care in installing, so it would be expensive. Ironic, isn't it? Wish I could install yours for free. :(

Here's my take on it. I'm in that guy's position, btw.

In my mind, both needed to stop and think about the position the other one is in.

It takes someone like myself twice as long to do everything as it would someone who has full use of their legs. That's basically to do everything one needs to do to live life. Bathing takes twice as long. Dressing takes twice as long. Getting to and from places may take twice as long. Getting groceries, ect. It's not something that we need or, in my case, want pity for. It's just a fact of life.

Having said that, I think the guy was a little grumpy because of the hardship he currently felt he was facing. OK. But, stop and think a min... We shouldn't complain! Any of us. Even though it takes me twice as long to do most things I need to do, I'm grateful I can do them. Many can't. I also wish more hearies would take the time to stop and think about the harships most deafies face.

*sigh* I wish, really wish, there was more of a dialog about these things IRL than here on forums. If there were, perhaps we wouldn't face such atitudes?

Just my .02.

In my mind, both needed to stop and think about the position the other one is in.

It takes someone like myself twice as long to do everything as it would someone who has full use of their legs. That's basically to do everything one needs to do to live life. Bathing takes twice as long. Dressing takes twice as long. Getting to and from places may take twice as long. Getting groceries, ect. It's not something that we need or, in my case, want pity for. It's just a fact of life.

Having said that, I think the guy was a little grumpy because of the hardship he currently felt he was facing. OK. But, stop and think a min... We shouldn't complain! Any of us. Even though it takes me twice as long to do most things I need to do, I'm grateful I can do them. Many can't. I also wish more hearies would take the time to stop and think about the harships most deafies face.

*sigh* I wish, really wish, there was more of a dialog about these things IRL than here on forums. If there were, perhaps we wouldn't face such atitudes?

Just my .02.

:gpost:

Do you feel that deaf people do not take the time to stop and think about the hardships most people with mobile disabilities face?

:gpost:

Do you feel that deaf people do not take the time to stop and think about the hardships most people with mobile disabilities face?

I think so, but I think that's true of the population at large as well. I think a person is going to view things according to who they are exposed to. I don't want to say that all deaf people would do that, but yes, I think some would; just like I think some able-bodied person wouldn't take the time to stop and think what a day in my life is that.

I don't think you are rude at all. I don't know why the disabled guy getting so grouchy and say that you are rude just because you tell him that being disabled is the same as if you are deaf. He did not get the idea of what you are saying to him when you give him the answer to the question about would you rather be hearing than to be disabled? I think he was insulted about his disability to walk. Oceanbreeze made a good point. I hope I make it clear for you to understand.

How about electric fireplace that you can put against the wall in your house if there is enough room like in the living room or in your bedroom? You don't have to have a big electric fireplace, just a small electric fireplace would be fine. It does give warmth but I don't know about how long the electric fireplace last. It does not cost much, but reasonable price. Building a real fireplace cost a lot of money and you don't have time to wait to get the house warm up again. lol I would love to give you my hug to keep you warm. :hug:

I still think your basic woodburning stove would be a reasonable 'back-up' to the electric H/A unit that is currently out of service. I would also invest in electric blankets for all of the beds. If your too sick to work because of this, then your going to be out of work and freezing your asses off in cardboard boxes.

Back to the main point. I dont think you were intentionally rude. But I do think this was one of those "Hey-you-dont-know-what-you've-got-until-you've-said-good-bye" moments. You are correct that most hearing don't even think twice about their ability to hear and can't fathom not being able to hear. They know there are deaf people, but deafness just isnt a part of their world so they never consider it.

Just as one who is seeing can never imagine being blind because they don't have that daily exposure to it, so they never consider it.

I think you are both lucky. If I had to choose between being disabled or homeless on the street I'd probably stick to being disabled. That way I have a roof over my head and enough to eat.

About your heating issue. I know what you are going though. My heating kept breaking down last year. At one point the repair man was comming almost once a week. How many jumpers do you wear? I'm wearing 3 jumpers. I wear 4 sometimes when it gets really cold. Lots of jumpers save on heating. Hope you get your heating sorted out soon though.

Thanks Dreama! My heater finally got fixed last Thursday and u know what's ironic? It got so warm outside even getting pretty hot on Saturday. Geez!!! :lol:

Just my .02.

Tell that to me. I know my daughter is in the same preciadement Ocean herself is in. I have tried my best to get my daughter to realize that being indpenedent herself will take much a long time to adjust herself to. I seem like I'm the only deafie whose kid end up in a wheelchair. If y'll other AD'ers that got their kids born with spina bifida, you will understand how Oceanbreeze and I feel.

Sounds like he wanted to hit on you and the conversation steered in awkward territory quite fast lol

Tell that to me. I know my daughter is in the same preciadement Ocean herself is in. I have tried my best to get my daughter to realize that being indpenedent herself will take much a long time to adjust herself to. I seem like I'm the only deafie whose kid end up in a wheelchair. If y'll other AD'ers that got their kids born with spina bifida, you will understand how Oceanbreeze and I feel.

Thank you.

Back