Turning the Tables..

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last night, I stopped by the food store to get some hot chocolate because our heater is broken and it gets down to 35 degrees at night. Yep, been a tough week freezing in my house with the little heat provided by the portable heaters and now, I am sick with a cold hence my opportunity to post on AD when I should be working. I cant sleep cuz too cold ..:(

Anyways..when I parked my truck, I saw a guy about my age walking slowly with a cane to the store..I mean slow. I walked by him in a fast pace cuz I was freezing and wanted to get inside the store. Of course, I didnt give much thought to him.

I buy all the stuff I need in the store and then proceed to walk to the line to check them out. I walked by the guy again and he had an empty basket..it had been at least 10 to 15 minutes since I came into the store. The guy saw me and waved to me saying something. I thought maybe he needed help so I said "Excuse me...can u say that again?" He said that I was lucky. I was like "What do you mean?" He said that I am able to finish my shopping in such a short time (something to that effect since with lipreading, I dont catch everything) and that I am able to walk fast." I dont know why I said what I said next but I replied saying "Yea, I am lucky but do you consider yourself lucky you can hear?" He looked at me like "huh?" and said "What?" I repeated myself and he said he got what I said the first time and asked me why did I say that. I told him "Since you said I am lucky that I have two healthy legs to walk on and can walk fast, but I am asking if you feel lucky you can hear?" He said "Yeaaaa..." I said "I am deaf." He was like "OOOh I am sorry that you cant hear." I told him that it was ok so I asked him the question again and he looked sheepish and said "Yea, I would rather be hearing than have two strong legs." So I told him that was how I felt..that I would rather be deaf than be physically disabled. He looked at me and said that I was rude and he didnt appreciate that.

I felt I wasnt rude and I felt the reason I said that was so he can look at the positive and what he has rather than what he doesnt have.

Honestly, I dont know why I did it..I wasnt mad nor offended..that comment just came out without my thinking.

If I was rude...then ooops. Oh well..hope it made him think twice and maybe count his blessings like I do and not focus on what he doesnt have.
Was I rude? LOL!

I don't think it was rude at all. It was an honest and reasonable point that you made. It appears that he was looking for sympathy and pity from you, and you simply showed him that he was not the only person in the world to deal with hardship on a daily basis. Perhaps that was a lesson he needed to learn in order to better deal with his own disability, and maybe that's why it turned out that you were the one that was there when he spoke his thoughts.:hmm:

BTW...sorry about the heat at your house! Been there, done that....and it is not fun!

I don't think it was rude at all. It was an honest and reasonable point that you made. It appears that he was looking for sympathy and pity from you, and you simply showed him that he was not the only person in the world to deal with hardship on a daily basis. Perhaps that was a lesson he needed to learn in order to better deal with his own disability, and maybe that's why it turned out that you were the one that was there when he spoke his thoughts.:hmm:

BTW...sorry about the heat at your house! Been there, done that....and it is not fun!

Plus....there is always someone out there that is in worse shape than you....

Rude or not, I think it's cool you did what you did. Most all hearies take their hearing for granted and don't think twice about it. I am not a good judge of rudeness by the way so i am sorry I can't answer that. Good luck w/ the heat :(

i don't think it was rude... maybe making the comment about being deaf rather then physically disabled is what offended him, he may have thought it was mean or something to say that. but who knows...

as for the heat, in the morning or right before you go to bed, turn the stove on and open the door and stand in front of it (thats what we do here just to warm up). electric blankets work wonders too. I hope it gets worked out for you

Sounds like you had a quirky meeting, Shel! LOL
I bet you made that guy think, even though he reacted a bit hotly in the end. I'm sure he will have his 'aha' moment eventually.

Hope you feel better. hugs!

His "aha" moment will come when he realizes that deaf and death aren't the same thing. :lol:

His "aha" moment will come when he realizes that deaf and death aren't the same thing. :lol:

:bowlol:

Even now, I really dont know why I did that. It was just one of those weird moments that could leave a lasting impression on someone, I guess.

Yea, in some way it was like I was put on the spot of justifying myself for having good legs so I guess I just decided to put him on the spot. :giggle:

Time to get a wood burning stove sweetie! :)

Heater is still broken but it warmed up yesterday so last night was kinda warm..now, there is a ferocious storm going on now making the temps plumment.

Wood burning stove sounds like a good addition to my house..I saw one on sale at Target..looks nice!

Rude or not, I think it's cool you did what you did. Most all hearies take their hearing for granted and don't think twice about it. I am not a good judge of rudeness by the way so i am sorry I can't answer that. Good luck w/ the heat :(

:ty:

Sounds like you had a quirky meeting, Shel! LOL
I bet you made that guy think, even though he reacted a bit hotly in the end. I'm sure he will have his 'aha' moment eventually.

Hope you feel better. hugs!

Maybe..wish I can find out though! I am feeling a lot better! Thanks!

i don't think it was rude... maybe making the comment about being deaf rather then physically disabled is what offended him, he may have thought it was mean or something to say that. but who knows...

as for the heat, in the morning or right before you go to bed, turn the stove on and open the door and stand in front of it (thats what we do here just to warm up). electric blankets work wonders too. I hope it gets worked out for you

Electric blankets...:hmm: I gotta look up about getting those.

Thanks!

Back