True or Not?

I can smell rain coming before it actually rains. Also smoke/bush fires.

My grandfather used to say he could smell rain in the air before it started. We used to call him "Weather Nose" when we were kids. LOL.

Sorry for the off topic...I couldn't resist!

I can smell most the time. My husband and son said they cannot smell but I can. odd!

Speaking of the sense of smells, which true. But I do smell many things thousand miles away like example, gas smell, rain coming, smell of wet damp grasses, foods outside when someone cooking like five miles away, can t stand the smell of hospitals, smell fire any kind of smell. When I was pregnant, the smell get stronger.

I can only speak for myself but yes. When I lost my hearing, my sense of smell got more acute. My eyes didn't get more acute but I noticed/could see more (like looking at the world I can take in more than I could when I could hear), which I assume is because I didn't have hearing to distract me. My sense of touch was far more acute! I can feel the tempeture rise and fall outside, I used to live in a rather big house and slept on the second floor and would get woken up when someone knocked at the door.

My grandfather used to say he could smell rain in the air before it started. We used to call him "Weather Nose" when we were kids. LOL.

Sorry for the off topic...I couldn't resist!

I can smell the rain, of course I could smell rain before it rained when I could hear too.

I can smell the rain, of course I could smell rain before it rained when I could hear too.

Yeah, that little knack doesn't have anything to do with hearing status. My grandfather was a hearie, LOL.

could be true for some.

one class I was in, one of two terps was eating a yogurt on a break. I didn't see it at first as was sitting way in back of classroom and focused on some papers, just right after I looked up to confirm what I was smelling she had already put it away so I asked, were you just eating a yogurt? she caught off guard astonishingly said omg, how did you know..?

I didn't know what to say lol, just said I thought I smelled it. then she joked that I followed her from her home so I saw it before and asked me what kind it was... strawberry I giggled! lmao.. told me I have a smell sense of a shark! (sharks can smell prior to three miles underwater). I have had plenty of people rosing their eyebrow at my strong sense of smell - many could not smell what I smelled. even in distances too.

so I agree especially with jillio's first post and others - I believe that goes the same for our eyes. we've lived our lives with our eyes, smell and sensation. practices to perfection! go us!
pinkgrin.gif

Last edited:
I done this many times. when I would buy meat I always smell it. And sometimes I think the meat don't smell right and my family can't find anything wrong with it,so they think that I am over doing it.

*shrug* my nose is like... on and off, just like "smell switch".

dayum.

People say with my sense of smell that I have a "dog nose." No, it isn't wet (thank goodness).

Yes, we do have a greater sense of smell. I also have a stronger sense of touch/feeling. I can feel someone come into the room by feeling the air move. My cat runs past me but I don't hear her but I feel the air move down there. I can smell really good, I brag yes. I am proud. When the exhusband or anyone else walks into the room, I immediately smell them. I think it's a survival thing - - since we can't hear, some other sense needs to alert us. My eyes, though, are not super at all!

Back