True Life: I'm Deaf

Are you saying you "hate" people who get CI's? BTW in case you haven't noticed the world IS hearing dominated. Do you "hate" anybody who isn't exactly like yourself. If so, you are a shallow fool who is no better than any hearie or any person for that matter who is prejudiced toward another person.

Well, duh. That what makes the Deaf community such an unique and beautiful community... I am at currently attending a mainstreamed college, actually. First of all, I don't hate people who get CIs... I only hate the marketing for CIs... People get CIs then they expect to be hearing-like, so they can talk on the phones, speak with their voices fluently, etc. It just seemed like a wrong imposition on the deaf world.

People just get the wrong idea about CIs. It's like "Americanization" but only with Deaf people. Sooner or later, Deafness will be just viewed as a medical condition that could be easily fixed with an unique surgical procedure that solves everybody's problems in their life. People just like an easy way out and CIs are the answer. Then parents and the medical community will assume that oralism is the better method of educating young children.

And criticizing somebody directly for their opinions doesn't make you any better person than I either.

Well, duh. That what makes the Deaf community such an unique and beautiful community... I am at currently attending a mainstreamed college, actually. First of all, I don't hate people who get CIs... I only hate the marketing for CIs... People get CIs then they expect to be hearing-like, so they can talk on the phones, speak with their voices fluently, etc. It just seemed like a wrong imposition on the deaf world.

People just get the wrong idea about CIs. It's like "Americanization" but only with Deaf people. Sooner or later, Deafness will be just viewed as a medical condition that could be easily fixed with an unique surgical procedure that solves everybody's problems in their life. People just like an easy way out and CIs are the answer. Then parents and the medical community will assume that oralism is the better method of educating young children.

And criticizing somebody directly for their opinions doesn't make you any better person than I either.

Ummm, what's wrong with someone wanting to talk on the phone or communicate easier with others? Why should someone be restricted to using terps or other accommodations if they don't want to?

I don't think there will ever come a time when the Deaf community or ASL ceases to exist, so I wouldn't worry about CIs threatening either.

I finally saw this episode yesterday (11/9). I thought it blew! I thought it was full of crap. I felt like the show put a wrong imposition on the Deaf culture, IMO. I mean, both "guests" were directed toward the "hearing" world. I want to see true Deaf culture, not hearing-predominated world.

For example: Chris................... He got a fucking CI. The other girl, I forgot her name... it was like she was embarrassed that she's deaf... She speaks and I didn't see a drip of sign language on the show. I don't like the girl for some reason... She just seemed too good for the Deaf culture.

I hope Chris realizes he HATES CI. This show just imposes an oppressed hypocrisy of the Deaf culture.

As for the woman in the show, if you would have paid closer attention, you would have realized that she wasn't ashamed of her Deafness. In fact, when she approached the judges during her dance competition, she introduced herself by saying she was Deaf. That doesn't sound like someone who is embarrassed about her deafness to me.

Personally, I thought the show was pretty good *although* I would have preferred to see a Deaf person who communicated in ASL and was fully immersed in Deaf Culture as well as a d/Deaf person who chose to receive a CI. If that would have been the premise for the show, I think it would have been much better than the original program that MTV aired.

Ummm, what's wrong with someone wanting to talk on the phone or communicate easier with others? Why should someone be restricted to using terps or other accommodations if they don't want to?

I don't think there will ever come a time when the Deaf community or ASL ceases to exist, so I wouldn't worry about CIs threatening either.

That's not the point... People can choose what they want to do... What I'm saying is that the marketing sucks for CIs. It gives the wrong idea about CIs... Sure, CIs help people hear better but CIs doesn't always miraculously restore a deaf person's hearing...

And I never said anything about restricting somebody to only interpreters and accommodations... I don't always use my accommodations... So that'd be like going against what was said...

Well... it seems like ASL-predominated society is beginning to shrink compared to maybe a decade or two ago... ASL might won't completely disappear but there will be fewer people who use ASL...

That's not the point... People can choose what they want to do... What I'm saying is that the marketing sucks for CIs. It gives the wrong idea about CIs... Sure, CIs help people hear better but CIs doesn't always miraculously restore a deaf person's hearing...

And I never said anything about restricting somebody to only interpreters and accommodations... I don't always use my accommodations... So that'd be like going against what was said...

Well... it seems like ASL-predominated society is beginning to shrink compared to maybe a decade or two ago... ASL might won't completely disappear but there will be fewer people who use ASL...

Well CI is great for a person who lost hearing later on or have some residual hearing left like HA so no... the marketing didn't suck for CI. It's you "Deaf Power" people who have a problem with it. Most said CI is not for all.

Well CI is great for a person who lost hearing later on or have some residual hearing left like HA so no... the marketing didn't suck for CI. It's you "Deaf Power" people who have a problem with it. Most said CI is not for all.

Exactly, Jiro. Thank you!

Don't blame CI companies for spreading the wrong idea about implants. When I contacted all 3 CI companies before getting my CIs, they told me that an implant would most likely allow me to understand speech, but there was also the possibility it wouldn't since each person responds to a CI differently depending on their hearing loss/deafness history.

CIs aren't the reason ASL users have diminished. Take a look at the availability of computer technology. With the advent of e-mail, texting, realtime captioning, etc. d/Deaf and HoH individuals are seeking other methods of communication besides ASL.

Why people continually place blame on CIs and CI companies is beyond me. :roll:

Why can't people who practice "Deaf Power" leave the rest of us alone and respect the choices we make? After all, I don't criticize Deaf ASL users for wanting to use ASL. If I respect their decision to use ASL, then they should respect my decision to use CIs.

I don't see anything wrong with CI's. It's not something I would go through because I don't like the idea of surgery; but that's just me.

I came in here to see info about the show and it seems to have turned out to be a CI debate :shock:

Back