To declaw cats or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butterflygal's post
Declawing is like an amputation of your fingers.

What if your cats ran away? They won't be able to defend themselves.

Cats are like small children. They will learn not to stratch on couches, etc. It takes time to teach them. My cat never does that and he's still a baby. My boyfriend built him his very own cat tree so he could stratch his heart out anytime he wants.

Put it any way you like but it is downright cruel to do this to cats. There is a big difference between spaying and declawing. Spaying is necessary and it doesn't affect the cats bodies afterwards. Cats walk on their claws.

:gpost: It's scare when I think if the cats who have declawed ran away and then die because they can't defend themselves or hunt for their foods...

I read the link, you provided... Very true... I look at my cats how they enjoy themselves to do something with their claws. They catch the flies or spiders and eat them...:ugh3: It's their nature... It shows how proud they are because they CAN catch insects. They loves to play wools with their claws Declawing?

i dont believe in having the cats declawed.. God put claws on them for good reason.. they use claws to protect themselves? what if they got out and got lost. then encountered a wild cat and wild cat will attack the cat and how will the cat protect himself then?? the cat will end up getting attacked and painful especially balls being ripped out by claws and mouth.
is that the way you want the cat not defensive? NO i dont believe in that. its CRUEL .. ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!!!!! i dont have all of my cats and kittens declawed.. all of them have claws!

i have experience as a friend gave the cat to me . i kept her in house but she died in HOUSE.. how??? snake got in and strangled her.. my mom said she heard noises.. so i looked and looked and found her strangled by snake in cabinet.. i was like OH FOOK!!! got shovel and killed the snake.. but too late.. my cat's back is broken and she look bad in shape.. took her to vet.. vet said shes not doing good.. neck broke? i was like what?? i cried and cried.. yes had to put her to sleep!!!

no wonder God put claws on cats for reason.. TO PROTECT themselves.. dog attack them? they can protect themselves against dogs, cats and wild animals. :(

:cold: it's goose bumps story....

In the beginning, I thought they only take out the claws but I got to learn more that they don't take out just the claws but also piece of their bones. That is cruel
Tears.gif

By the way, Banjo just spoke out of anger when he sees people saying that declawing cats is not cruel. That is a very normal reaction.

Declawing is like an amputation of your fingers.

Claw-sur-dia-color.jpg

This picture shows where the vets would cut. They are cutting a part of the cats bones off along with their claws. It would be like cutting the first joints on your fingers off. How would we be able to function? Sure, we would learn how to but it won't be the same. Same as cats.

What if your cats ran away? They won't be able to defend themselves.

Cats are like small children. They will learn not to stratch on couches, etc. It takes time to teach them. My cat never does that and he's still a baby. My boyfriend built him his very own cat tree so he could stratch his heart out anytime he wants.

Put it any way you like but it is downright cruel to do this to cats. There is a big difference between spaying and declawing. Spaying is necessary and it doesn't affect the cats bodies afterwards. Cats walk on their claws.

To read more... Companion Animals - Why Cats Need Claws

Seeing that picture of how they declaw the cats gave me goosebumps :cold:

One of my cats did run outside while I opened my front door but I didn't see her run out. After a while I realized that she was not in the house so I searched all over for her but I couldn't find her. Then it popped in my mind that she might have run out when I opened the door so I looked outside and there she was! She would have needed her claws if a dog or any other animals came after her.

I do not believe declawed rest of my cats!

Reason Cats need their own protection terriorze. (sp)

Patience and love displince cats do not allow scratching furnitures... Teach cats use scratch post contuine... Let them provide so many different toys and much more... I've checked ebay there's have lot beautiful scratching post but we are not going buy thru ebay.. we can making our own scratching post for my new home... :) Keep them busy and happy healthier!

I'm sorry I'm not judge you anyone who prefer declawed. I have nothing discuss w/you more further..

I'm breeder of dogs and already seen cats at the vet... while I watched them doing *pull declaws out* In my mind.. Oh Damn that gotta hurts! , Poor Cats.. that how I felt alike..

Should Human use declawed too ? No..
Human use nails reason for.. itching, protection their skin inside, espically woman likes to nail polish it... (chuckles)
Wha.. about Dogs should have declawed too? No
Dogs use nails for run or walk.

Why requires Cats must declawed...?
Owner prefers protect their precouisly furnitures that's all reason about!
I feel ridcouisly but not my business... (*remmy Im not judge you ok) Just my feeling!
what more.. Cat feel helpless being no protected themselves from terroirze and others too..

Well - Im gonna jump into the fray myself.

MizzDeaf and I have five cats - two of my own, three of hers. Yes, ALL of them are declawed. Our choice.

I do know what declawing consists of - I have talked with vets, landlords, cat owners, debated the pros and cons and made the decision to have BabyCat and PeeWee declawed years ago.

MizzDeaf made the decision to have hers declawed, too, and she already knows what it is.

All we ask is that you respect our decision - and FYI, my mom's Yellow Cat was declawed years and years ago, and she's now 16 years old...and still healthy, active and loving.

BabyCat is 10, shows no signs of pain, age or any other aliments that comes with old age. PeeWee is 9, only thing she has is a touch of arthritis in her front left leg because of an injury that happened when she was a kitten, and with medication, is doing just fine.

We all make choices - both for ourselves and our pets. What about the dog owners that cut their dogs' ears and tails?

Look around - people make choices, whether you like it or not.

Our cats are strictly indoor cats, they are all happy, healthy and lively...VERY LIVELY. *smh* The only time they go outside, are all under strict supervision and for short periods of times. They are NEVER left alone. PeeWee especially enjoys these times, and yet, she's always ready to come back in whenever it's time.

Please respect our decision in this matter.

I understand how some of you feel about this, and I RESPECT your feelings on this matter. All I ask for is the same thing from you.

Thanks.
DD

MizzDeaf and I have five cats - two of my own, three of hers. Yes, ALL of them are declawed. Our choice.

I do know what declawing consists of - I have talked with vets, landlords, cat owners, debated the pros and cons and made the decision to have BabyCat and PeeWee declawed years ago.

MizzDeaf made the decision to have hers declawed, too, and she already knows what it is.

All we ask is that you respect our decision - and FYI, my mom's Yellow Cat was declawed years and years ago, and she's now 16 years old...and still healthy, active and loving.

BabyCat is 10, shows no signs of pain, age or any other aliments that comes with old age. PeeWee is 9, only thing she has is a touch of arthritis in her front left leg because of an injury that happened when she was a kitten, and with medication, is doing just fine.

We all make choices - both for ourselves and our pets. What about the dog owners that cut their dogs' ears and tails?

Our cats are strictly indoor cats, they are all happy, healthy and lively...VERY LIVELY. *smh* The only time they go outside, are all under strict supervision and for short periods of times. They are NEVER left alone. PeeWee especially enjoys these times, and yet, she's always ready to come back in whenever it's time.

I understand how some of you feel about this, and I RESPECT your feelings on this matter. All I ask for is the same thing from you.

Thanks.
DD

Thank you, DD.

I'm against declawing cats, but I also agree that it's up to each individual owner to decide for themselves what is humane and what isn't. You and MizzDeaf sound like you were responsible. Being informed is the key. Once you learn about the procedure, then it really is up to the individual to decide for themselves what is in the best interest of both the cat and the owner.

Personally, I would never do it. Like some here, I think it's cruel and painful, but I also would never push my ideals on others. Again, this is another one of these things where it's not up to me to tell someone what to do. It's up to that person to decide for themselves what is best, and I should keep my nose out of it. :giggle:

Thanks.
DD

Sure, I respect your decisions because they are your cats.

Reason why I created this thread was to educate more people all the facts about declawings because there are a lot people including me who were unaware of the further facts about declawings. You said you knew about the pros and cons but some of us never knew anything about the cons.

Thank you, DD.

I'm against declawing cats, but I also agree that it's up to each individual owner to decide for themselves what is humane and what isn't. You and MizzDeaf sound like you were responsible. Being informed is the key. Once you learn about the procedure, then it really is up to the individual to decide for themselves what is in the best interest of both the cat and the owner.

Personally, I would never do it. Like some here, I think it's cruel and painful, but I also would never push my ideals on others. Again, this is another one of these things where it's not up to me to tell someone what to do. It's up to that person to decide for themselves what is best, and I should keep my nose out of it. :giggle:

Who is pushing the idea on others? Are you saying that my thread is pushing on others?

I thought my thread was a very good education because some of us got to learn something new in here.

Thanks.
DD

Well said..... my two cats are declawed..they are happy and active..

IslandGal said:
There is no need to apologize because I know they are your cats but it was just that I was a bit surprised to see you saying that you think it is not cruel to do that to cats because I thought maybe you would change your mind after looking into these websites but I guess I was wrong.

This is why - you kind of passed judgement on us.

Who is pushing the idea on others? Are you saying that my thread is pushing on others?

I thought my thread was a very good education because some of us got to learn something new in here.

No, I didn't mean to imply that. All I was saying was, it's up to each person to decide this for themselves. Many people choose to get their cats declawed. Personally, I would not do it. However, many people do, and that's their right to do so. All I was saying is, "Who am I tell you what to do". That's all.

It's not my place to tell someone else how to train up their cats. Personally, though, I do believe there are better ways to deal with cat scratching then declawing. You can train the kitten to scratch in appropriate areas. We used scratching posts for our cats and we never had a problem. But, it's up to the person to decide this for themselves. That's all I was saying.

All we ask is that you respect our decision -

Where have we against the owners of declaw cats? It has nothing do with respect but fact because the creator asked us for our opinion - need pros and cons from us before she made her decision. I can´t see the sense why the people took our posts serious or being offensive by our posts that´s because we stated how we feel and have different opinion as them. This thread, the creator created is an useful and good education for everyone and help everyone with their decision thru feedback, tips, cons/pros etc. Yes, we know it´s everyone´s choice either they want to have their cat declaw or not. I will respect if the creator annonnced her decision after receive feedback, etc from us because it´s her choice. Yes, I´m agree that it could cause people angry when someone says that the cat has no pain feeling, normal etc... Look an example about CI issues - we respect their choice when we have different opinion as them...

We all make choices - both for ourselves and our pets.

Yes, it´s everyone´s choice what they doing with their pets.

What about the dog owners that cut their dogs' ears and tails?

It´s also illegal here in Germany at few years ago as well.

Yes, people make their choices but I see nothing wrong when the creator create their threads to ask for our opinion, feedback, tips... I beleive that it´s useful and sense for the creators to create any threads to ask us for our opinion because I need it... It´s good education for us to learn what right or wrong... Its about open mind.

This thread here has nothing do with respect but fact, that´s just we state how we feeling because the creator ask us for our opinion and need cons / pros before she made her decision.

Yes, I respect your choice because you think what you doing right. It´s your own choice... Nobody against you as personally for that but we state our feeling about declaw because the creator asked us for feedback, opinion......

This is why - you kind of passed judgement on us.

That was not a judgement but a reaction of my surprise because I didn't expect that member to say that it was not cruel. I didn't bash on her for declawing her cats, did I?

I am now sorry that I created this thread because I can see that it is upsetting some of you. I did not intend to upset some of you. I just thought creating this thread would educate more people including myself the deep facts about declawings.

That was not a judgement but a reaction of my surprise because I didn't expect that member to say that it was not cruel. I didn't bash on her for declawing her cats, did I?

I am now sorry that I created this thread because I can see that it is upsetting some of you. I did not intend to upset some of you. I just thought creating this thread would educate more people including myself the deep facts about declawings.

Don't be upset. I believe this thread did educate some people just like it educated us in the beginning.

Everybody's entitled to their own opinions and they will definitely hold onto it if they feel strongly about it. It's their own right.

Now I have a question. What happens if declawing becomes illegal in USA and Canada? How will that affect those who support declawing?

Don't be upset. I believe this thread did educate some people just like it educated us in the beginning.

Everybody's entitled to their own opinions and they will definitely hold onto it if they feel strongly about it. It's their own right.
#

Yes I second that.

IslandGal, Don´t let anyone affect you over that thread, you created but your own feeling and heart since you own 2 cats and need our opinion and feedback. It´s good education for everyone - it helps everyone with decision either they want declaw their cats or not... It´s up to them... I see nothing wrong to state how I feel and what I think.

Now I have a question. What happens if declawing becomes illegal in USA and Canada? How will that affect those who support declawing?

Good question... The German breeders are upset about the law over dock dog tails and ears few years ago because of profit loss... :roll: Now they get use it and accept it....

Im not trying to upset you, honey - I know you were trying to educate us.

However, when you say it's cruel, we shouldn't be doing it, etc., etc., that is passing judgement.

We often make choices that we may not like - BUT we have to.

It would have been better if you had not said what you said...that you were surprised and so forth... and then using this :( smiley to another comment.
It would have been better if it had remained an educational thread without becoming so personal about it.

That's how I see it. As it is, it has become personal ... which is sad, in itself.

Im not trying to upset you, honey - I know you were trying to educate us.

However, when you say it's cruel, we shouldn't be doing it, etc., etc., that is passing judgement.
Well, when I said it was cruel that was my honest opinion and feelings. Where did I say you all shouldn't be doing it? I know I posted in some websites and my opinions but that was to educate some people who had no knowledge about declawings. There are some members including me in here who have learnt about the altternative to declawing.

We often make choices that we may not like - BUT we have to.

It would have been better if you had not said what you said...that you were surprised and so forth... and then using this :( smiley to another comment.
It would have been better if it had remained an educational thread without becoming so personal about it.
Well, they were my words and my feelings. I just cannot help it if I feel pain for the cats. Not only me but also several others in here. It is not so wrong if we want to express our feelings and opinions. Most of us did not bash on any of you for declawing your cats.

That is besides the point - this will be the LAST time I will post in this thread.

I am saying that this thread has become PERSONAL. It started out as educational, and should have been kept that way. IT should have shown respect for other peoples' choices - either declawing or not declawing.

It should not have gone on to being personal about other peoples' choices - that's how I see it.

I declawed my cats for a good reason, and that should have been enough.

I know some do it for cosmetic reasons, some do it to protect their furniture, etc., etc... as for me, I had no choice.

I'm just asking that it be kept as an EDUCATIONAL tool, not as what this thread is going into...

Some of you said it's not a matter of respect, but IT SHOULD BE. Leave it at that, and let this go back to being educational, not personal.

Thank you.

DreamDeaf, please stop being so angry. You are the one who is getting too personal about this thread. If it bothers you to read what we feel about declawings then don't bother to come in here.

Most of us DID NOT bash on you or others who have had their cats declawed. Gee, what is so wrong with us telling some stories and expressing our feelings about what declawing can to some cats? That is part of an education and that is how we get to learn from others' stories.

I do not want to see this good thread getting out of its hand :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back