To declaw cats or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's cruel for declawing cats when cats live indoors, but I do think it is cruel for declawing cats when they're living outdoors, they cannot defend themselves against other wild animals.

Why would you want a couch being ripped up by a cat's claws, making your home look like a homeless shelter? You should care about your home as much you'll care about your pets. What about small children? Is it fair for children to get scratches from cats?

Don't judge those cat pet owners if they had their cat delcawed. ;)

Youre right... i had two cats declawed.. Vet wont declaw if cats are outsiders... he asked me if i keep cats indoor all the times.. i said yes... he made me promise not to let them outside.. so he went ahead having them declawed.. i had no problems..

I don't think it's cruel for declawing cats when cats live indoors, but I do think it is cruel for declawing cats when they're living outdoors, they cannot defend themselves against other wild animals.

Why would you want a couch being ripped up by a cat's claws, making your home look like a homeless shelter? You should care about your home as much you'll care about your pets. What about small children? Is it fair for children to get scratches from cats?

Hmmm ... not sure if you're speaking of me. Ofc NOT I'm not judging to any one. My previous posting here is just to tell from my experience with my cats and that my cats have never scretch any of my family including kids. And ofc it's up to pet owners wherever it's their convience for what they want. I'm not against anyone who have their cats declawed because it's their life. That's their business.
Victory.gif

I'm against declawing.

There are better alternatives to declawing, such as using Soft Claws.

Soft%20Claws.jpg

This will prevent cats from scratching up your furniture and scratching you.

Whoa! It is this new for me! I planned take my cat surgery removed claws soon. But you put link. Is good work? I never seen it before. Thank you for link here!

I'm against declawing. Declaw is an illegal here in Germany.

I'm surprised that nobody except IslandGal's link here mention about cat scratching and climbing post. I got goose bumps after saw the pictures where IslandGal provided.

I'd like to show the link here.

cat scratching and climbing post - Google Bilder

Simple get scratching or climbing post to train cat and give them toys to play with. Using surgery to prevent them to damage furniture is not the best solution. I have 4 cats here - no furniture damage.

Prepare scratching or climbing post before welcome new pets and show them where they can scratch...

Sure there're very few accidents until Sussi learned to depend on scratching post... 18 years later then I found Kim in forest at 2 years ago. We trained her as well after few accidents... Now kittens... I didn't train kittens to do scratching post but Kim, their mother. Kittens depend on scratching and climbing post straight way...

We have one tree trunk at my property where my cats use very often. My cats only stay at my property when we are outside... They go in when we go in. (Kim escaped out of my house as she was heat.... I watch and make sure that kittens won't go out until they are fixed then... )

We have 3 scratching posts in different rooms and one climbing post in basement and one tree trunk at my yard. See, none of my furniture is damage.

I see nobody judge members's posts here but give their fact opinion. I find IslandGal's thread is sense. She only want to give us information. Opinions, informations or disagreement has nothing do with judgement but fact. Its also no judgement when I say declawing is a cruel because it's fact.

I found interesting link

The Facts About Declawing and the Alternatives

It's major surgery. It's very painful. Countless people consider it a form of mutilation. It's illegal in fourteen countries. It has serious side affects, and it's not even necessary. Yet, 31% of all cat owners in the United States have their cats declawed. If you are considering the same fate for your cat, allow Fluffy five minutes of your time, and make sure you have all the facts.

Does your favorite couch or armchair look like it has armrests made out of shredded wheat? Can you see the wood through the carpeting at the bottom of your stairs? Does the sunlight escape through little holes in your drapes from kitty's last climbing escapade? It's hard to believe all of the destruction came from your tiny eight-pound furball. Maybe you are thinking that one sure way to stop the destruction is to have your cat's claws removed. Declawing is not only unfair to your furry friend, but it is also cruel. If your new puppy scratched grooves in your front door trying to escape, would you have his claws removed? If your child began the bad habit of biting his or her nails, would you have the child's fingertips amputated? Of course not! You'd teach them to change their behavior. Likewise, you can teach your cat to use his or her claws in a non-destructive manner.

WHY DO CATS CLAW?

Clawing is not a behavioral problem -- it is a necessity and a natural thing for a cat to do. Cats need their claws for several reasons. Grooming is necessary to maintain health and cleanliness. Scratching and licking prevents the fur from tangling, removes dead skin and hair, and helps to waterproof their coat. Because cats require a lot of sleep, it is also necessary for them to stretch and exercise their muscles. Notice how a cat will always stretch after waking from a nap. Clawing is often part of their stretching ritual to exercise the muscles in their toes. Cats also need to scratch to help shed away the dead outer layer of the nail to expose the healthy nail underneath. At the same time, scratch marks are visual and olfactory territorial markers. The act of scratching deposits the cat's scent from glands in their feet (Eckstein 110). However, the most important function of a cat's claws is for protection. A cat will use the front claws against an enemy before using any other natural weapon. When that weapon is taken away, the cat would be in danger if it were let outside

THE SURGERY

Many cat owners find out only too late the seriousness of declawing. Therefore, it may help to know what is involved in the surgical procedure. The procedure (referred to as an onychectomy) requires the amputation of the entire last joint of the toe (Marder). For a human, declawing a cat is equivalent to having the tips of the fingers cut off at the first joint below the fingernail. The amputation could be performed in one of two ways: using a "guillotine-type nail trimmer which cuts the joint between the last two bones of the toe," or with "a scalpel blade to dissect between the two bones" (Marder). The wounds on each toe are filled will surgical glue and held closed for several seconds to promote bonding. Several layers of bandages are applied while the cat recovers from anesthesia. The bandages are removed before the cat goes home, but unfortunately, several toes usually need to be cleaned and reglued which is extremely painful to the cat who is no longer under anesthesia (lisaviolet.com). Once the cat goes home, he or she will have trouble walking for several days, and the caregiver must use a special litter made out of recycled newspaper to avoid infection. The surgery is considered to be moderately to severely painful (Geller). One vet described, "cats bouncing off the walls of the recovery cage because of excruciating pain. Cats that are more stoic huddle in the corner of the recovery cage, immobilized in a state of helplessness, presumably by the overwhelming pain" (Dodman).

POST-SURGICAL STATISTICS

Following the surgery, there is no question that the cat will experience pain for several days. Cats do not exhibit pain the same way humans do, but elevated blood pressure, an increased pulse rate, fever, and limping are evidence that pain exists. Complications such as bleeding, swelling and infection may also occur. If any of these complications arise, it means another painful and expensive trip to the vet. A Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine study on 163 cats reported that 50% of the cats experienced one or more of these complications. About 20% experienced further complications such as infection, nail regrowth and lameness (qtd. Marder). There is also speculation that behavioral problem arise in cats that undergo declaw surgery (although there is no hard evidence). For example, immediately following the surgery, it is painful for a cat to use the litter box. The cat then associates pain with using the litter box, which may result in the cat using other areas of the house for elimination. Other behavioral side affects are biting and personality changes. Because the cat no longer has its claws for protection, he or she may overcompensate for the loss by biting. The cat may also become withdrawn or stressed due to the loss of its claws (Ginsberg). The stress could be caused by many things including the inability to simply jump onto an object, like a chair or couch or bed, and hold on with its claws. Even the joy of playing will be altered because the cat will no longer be able to grasp string or other toys with its claws.

THE RISKS

If putting your loving cat through the anguish is not enough to dissuade you against declawing, there are significant medical reasons not to go through with it. An onychectomy is major surgery. There is a risk involved with subjecting a cat to the physical stress of anesthesia and the strain of surgery. There is also a risk that substandard surgical techniques can result in shattered bones, hemorrhaging, and regrowth of the nail in a deformed manner that is hard to treat later (Ginsberg). According to Warren Eckstein, a world-renowned pet behaviorist, "X-rays of the bone structure of Kitty's legs before and after declawing show a marked difference that's caused by his having to balance himself unnaturally. Without the nails, physical stress is placed on the legs, where it wasn't intended to be." From an emotional standpoint, the added long-term stress and frustration can cause chronic cystitis (bladder infection) or skin disorders (HDW Enterprises). If a cat experiences any or several of these side affects, the additional veterinary costs, in addition to the initial surgery, will well exceed any monetary loss due to damage in the home.

CREATING A SCRATCH-FRIENDLY HOME

There are many solutions cat owners can utilize to create a safe, happy, scratch-friendly home for their cats. A scratch-friendly home begins with the proper scratching tools. There are many wonderful scratching devices on the market today. There are scratching posts, trees, condos, toys, and even boxes covered in carpet to hide the litter box. Most cats prefer scratchers made out of corrugated cardboard or sisal. The corrugated cardboard scratchers look like rectangular boxes or floor mats several inches thick filled with cardboard. Fortunately, these types of scratchers are very inexpensive so you can buy several.

Teaching Kitty to Use the Scratching Tools

More important than picking the right type of scratching tool is the quantity and location of those tools. If you only provide one scratching post, it isn't going to work. You can't expect the cat to travel to where the scratching post is located when the urge hits it. If your favorite chair, couch or rug is closer, that is what the cat will use. Therefore, place the scratching devices near any vertical object you think the cat will scratch. Place one near the bottom of the stairs (if carpeted), next to any vulnerable furniture item where the cat and the family spend a significant amount of time, and place one near the cat's favorite napping place. Next, you need to show your cat what to do with the scratching devices by using it yourself. That's right! Scratch your own nails loudly on the scratching device to attract the curiosity of the cat. When your cat investigates to see what you are doing, praise him or her with kind words and a rub in their favorite place. You can also rub catnip on each scratching post to increase the attraction, but consistent praise is the most important ingredient. Don't grab the cat's paws and force them on the scratching device. Most cats don't like to have their paws grabbed, which can cause the cat to avoid the scratching device. Admonish kitty when he or she scratches on anything that is off limits. All furniture should be considered off limits to eliminate confusion. Even furniture specifically designated for the cat should be a no scratching zone (lisaviolet.com).

Nail Trimming

Trimming your cat's nails is also a very important step in maintaining a scratch-friendly environment. Even if you don't have help, there are methods to nail trimming you can learn from your vet to make it easy for both you and your cat. The first time you trim the nails, only cut the tip. There is a vein that runs through the nail and it's important you don't cut that, but it's very easy to see. Two weeks later, cut the tips of the nails again. After two or three pedicure sessions, the vein will recede on its own which will allow you to cut a little more nail each time (Eckstein). As long as the vein is easy to see, you should have no problem giving your kitty pedicures. If you repeat these pedicures every two weeks, it will minimize any scratching damage kitty may cause.

Soft Paws®

If you just don't have the time to spend on consistent training, you can apply Soft Paws nail caps to your cat's nails. SoftPaws are plastic nail caps that are glued to the end of your cat's nails and they last about one month. Your veterinarian can show you how to apply the nail caps the first time, and then you can buy the do-it-yourself kit thereafter from the pet store or a pet magazine.

It may seem like a lot of work at first, but the process is an interesting and fun experiment in your ability to train your cat. You will also find that you can use some of the techniques to teach your cat other useful lessons. In the end you will have a scratch-friendly safe environment for your cat where he or she will be able to enjoy the use of its claws.

check this link if you want to read everything......

The Facts About Declawing

No Vet does not rip claws out.. they get them under heavy sedation and remove claws..... they would be fine... both of my cats were declawed.. they were not in pain....

Not pain? :eek3:

Yes, the cat do have pain feeling... see my post above.

I'm against declawing. Declaw is an illegal here in Germany.

I'm surprised that nobody except IslandGal's link here mention about cat scratching and climbing post. I got goose bumps after saw the pictures where IslandGal provided.

I'd like to show the link here.

cat scratching and climbing post - Google Bilder

Simple get scratching or climbing post to train cat and give them toys to play with. Using surgery to prevent them to damage furniture is not the best solution. I have 4 cats here - no furniture damage.

Yes scratching or climbing post is very good suggestion to train kittens/cats so that they know these are the only one they allow to use scratch.

Prepare scratching or climbing post before welcome new pets and show them where they can scratch...

Sure there're very few accidents until Sussi learned to depend on scratching post... 18 years later then I found Kim in forest at 2 years ago. We trained her as well after few accidents... Now kittens... I didn't train kittens to do scratching post but Kim, their mother. Kittens depend on scratching and climbing post straight way...

I believe that was because those kittens follow their mother, Kim's "rules".

We have one tree trunk at my property where my cats use very often. My cats only stay at my property when we are outside... They go in when we go in. (Kim escaped out of my house as she was heat.... I watch and make sure that kittens won't go out until they are fixed then... )

We have 3 scratching posts in different rooms and one climbing post in basement and one tree trunk at my yard. See, none of my furniture is damage.

I see nobody judge members's posts here but give their fact opinion. I find IslandGal's thread is sense. She only want to give us information. Opinions, informations or disagreement has nothing do with judgement but fact. Its also no judgement when I say declawing is a cruel because it's fact.

Yes I agree. Thought others would like to hear what we had to say base on our past experiences.

As I mentioned my previous posts here ... it's just that we can train animals similar as we train our children. We don't want to spoil them.

I forgot to mention ... years ago I heard that after cats had declawed, their attitudes has change. Not sure if that's possible now days?

I'm against declawing.

There are better alternatives to declawing, such as using Soft Claws.

Soft%20Claws.jpg

This will prevent cats from scratching up your furniture and scratching you.

I never see like this before... I will check at pet shop this weekends.

Honestly, I'm bit skeptical about Soft Paws. I would like to have few questions since you use Soft Paws on your cats.
The reason is I'm thinking about get 2 years old Kim Soft Paw to stop scratch my sons and hubby and also bite as well sometimes instead of get the Vet to trim Kim's claws. I know trim cat's claws at the Vet cost nothing but I feel bad when I see Kim feel uncomfortable with her trim claws. (Kim is unfriendly toward my sons, hubby, neigbors & friends except me... Kim let me hug and kiss her and allow me anything what I want, not anybody... Only me... She trust me to touch her kittens.... Depend on her moods then let my sons and hubby to pat her - I suggest that it could be the reason why Kim is unfriendly toward men because of "abuse" before I found her in forest?????????

Soft Paws cause nail growth problem and infection?

Cover cat's claw with Soft Paw is not fresh air - where the cat's claw need to fresh air, then they can lick and bite their claws ?

How often Soft Paws need to be re-apply?

How much it cost?

How could the cat lick and bite their claws when they have Soft Paws on their claws?

What if the cat swallow Soft Paw after bite and tried to clean their claws?

I often saw my cats bite and lick their claws to rid of their old claws and let it regrowth... I found some claws on the floor as I clean the floor with sweep brush. The cats bite their claws until they rid of their old claws and let their claws regrowth.... Soft Paws? I hope you don't mind to convince my questions in positive way... Of course I need pros and cons on Soft Paws.

Last edited:
I understand you feeling the pain for cats. but think of it as saving money for you and being able to keep your cat inside without worrying what he/she going to tear or rip.

Get scratching posts is not expensive... It's stress free because cats know the scratching posts is only they are allow to use.

I never have any my cats' declawed at present or in the past. When they were small, if they use scretching or something, I squeezed their paws alittle and say NO NO to let them know they can not use their nails. After few ancidents then they stop using ever since. Same way when I pet kittens, they normal stretching their nails out, I said very lightly no no.... then pet again. They understanding immediately. I kept trimming their nails bi-weekly to keep those nails in good shape. They got used to.

Yes, it's an exactly what I did with my cats. I shout "NEIN" when I see them go near furniture (German word for NO) and show them where they allow to scratch... I get their paws on the scratching post gentle and "scratch"... Train the cats is very quickly and easier... litter box as well...

Problem is they are too stubborn and continue to eat green plants... :ugh2: They do what I say when I catch them try to go near green plants... NEIN NEIN NEIN... I can tell from their "grumply" impression and go away from green plants. I have no problem to watch them go to furniture because I trust them but green plants... I do not trust them because they creep behind my back since they know we forbid them to eat/chew green plants. We do not allow to have cats alone in any rooms where the green plants around until we are around to eye them... Have you any idea how to prevent it?

Let me tell you one funny story. One time I took one cat to the Vet, somehow my cat got mad and he was "boxing" with me in front of Vet, immediately the Vet stepped way back. I laughed. Vet came over to me to see if I'm alright and I said of course .. no stretch marks on me at all. My cat didn't use his nails to box with me, he just used both his paws. haha my vet was very impressed about it.

:rofl: it's same with my 20 years old Sussi... She hate the Vet... She hisssssed on them... not Kim and 2 kittens. Normally Kim is unfriendly to anyone except me and also the Vet... *scratch my head*

So I just treat kittens as I treated 1-2 yrs old kids (just like if kids wanna to get something off the shelves or tables). Kittens can be smart, they just picked up the idea of no no at usually third time. Perhaps smarter then 2-3 yrs old kids. Kittens/Cats have never ruin my furnitures even antiques ones.

Exactly, I educate and train my children as the same as cats as well. They learn to know what wrong or right.

SunShine1's post
I believe that was because those kittens follow their mother, Kim's "rules".

Yes I can see that.

Kim is unfriendly cat but her 2 kittens didn't follow her role... *phew*

Kim reject her kittens after 14 weeks take care of. Kim hissed 2 kittens Flecky & Blacky everytime they tried to go near their mother... It show sign that Kim want her kittens learn their own feet... Sussi & Kim didn't get on well but Sussi love and take care of Kim's kittens... :eek3: Kittens are very friendly and adorable - it could be that they follow Sussi's role, not their mother...

its like this.. having a cat with claws vs. furnitures..... i have a cat myself.. with claws and its ruining my couch especially around the armrests. Its gonna cost me 1,000 dollars or more to get a new couch.. having the cat declawed is much cheaper and more safer if its an inside cat. I wouldn't have it declawed if she goes outside often, but my cat is an inside cat and seriously ruining my couch, love seat and computer chair.

I also.. work at the Vet.. I'm a kennel assistant.. I've watched cats and dogs getting spayed and nuetered.. is it cruel to have them spayed or nuetered.. i think not... its the same as having the cats declawed. Yes the cats do go under heavy sedatives and feel no pain. When the cats wake up.. they get woozy a bit for about a day. Then they're up and running.

I understand you feeling the pain for cats. but think of it as saving money for you and being able to keep your cat inside without worrying what he/she going to tear or rip.
No, I don't think spaying and neutering are cruel but I do think declawing is cruel and that is my opinion. My cats don't scratch on my furnitures because I have some scratching posts in my home for them to scratch on. I am planning to get the Soft Claws for my cats. It is not all about money. It is all about cruelty to cats. Some declawings may be successful for some cats but not for some.

I am not judging anyone who had their cats declawed. I just posted this to educate people because most people doesn't know what declawing can do to cats. I didn't know anything abour declawing until a friend gave me these websites to look at.

I already mentioned that I plan to get the Soft Claws for my cats. I had the 2 cats in my home for the past 3 months and my 2 children hasn't gotten scratched by them. After I get the Soft Claws I will not worry about them getting scratched.

Post was quoted by Banjo: If people care more about their furniture than their cats' welfare... then maybe they shouldn't have pets to begin with. If people feel offended by what I said, well... too bad.

I take that as passing judgement on cat owners who had their cats declawed.

And I know for matter of fact that some landlords would allow tenants to have cats unless they're declawed. My landlord is one of those people. This is gotten be one hot topic, but it's important for members to keep their remarks as maturity, not to offense cat owners who already had their cats declawed. It's their personal choice, We are here to learn something, and not to offensive someone. So I hope members keep that in mind. ;)

The Facts About Declawing and the Alternatives

It's major surgery. It's very painful. Countless people consider it a form of mutilation. It's illegal in fourteen countries. It has serious side affects, and it's not even necessary. Yet, 31% of all cat owners in the United States have their cats declawed. If you are considering the same fate for your cat, allow Fluffy five minutes of your time, and make sure you have all the facts.

Does your favorite couch or armchair look like it has armrests made out of shredded wheat? Can you see the wood through the carpeting at the bottom of your stairs? Does the sunlight escape through little holes in your drapes from kitty's last climbing escapade? It's hard to believe all of the destruction came from your tiny eight-pound furball. Maybe you are thinking that one sure way to stop the destruction is to have your cat's claws removed. Declawing is not only unfair to your furry friend, but it is also cruel. If your new puppy scratched grooves in your front door trying to escape, would you have his claws removed? If your child began the bad habit of biting his or her nails, would you have the child's fingertips amputated? Of course not! You'd teach them to change their behavior. Likewise, you can teach your cat to use his or her claws in a non-destructive manner.

WHY DO CATS CLAW?

Clawing is not a behavioral problem -- it is a necessity and a natural thing for a cat to do. Cats need their claws for several reasons. Grooming is necessary to maintain health and cleanliness. Scratching and licking prevents the fur from tangling, removes dead skin and hair, and helps to waterproof their coat. Because cats require a lot of sleep, it is also necessary for them to stretch and exercise their muscles. Notice how a cat will always stretch after waking from a nap. Clawing is often part of their stretching ritual to exercise the muscles in their toes. Cats also need to scratch to help shed away the dead outer layer of the nail to expose the healthy nail underneath. At the same time, scratch marks are visual and olfactory territorial markers. The act of scratching deposits the cat's scent from glands in their feet (Eckstein 110). However, the most important function of a cat's claws is for protection. A cat will use the front claws against an enemy before using any other natural weapon. When that weapon is taken away, the cat would be in danger if it were let outside

THE SURGERY

Many cat owners find out only too late the seriousness of declawing. Therefore, it may help to know what is involved in the surgical procedure. The procedure (referred to as an onychectomy) requires the amputation of the entire last joint of the toe (Marder). For a human, declawing a cat is equivalent to having the tips of the fingers cut off at the first joint below the fingernail. The amputation could be performed in one of two ways: using a "guillotine-type nail trimmer which cuts the joint between the last two bones of the toe," or with "a scalpel blade to dissect between the two bones" (Marder). The wounds on each toe are filled will surgical glue and held closed for several seconds to promote bonding. Several layers of bandages are applied while the cat recovers from anesthesia. The bandages are removed before the cat goes home, but unfortunately, several toes usually need to be cleaned and reglued which is extremely painful to the cat who is no longer under anesthesia (lisaviolet.com). Once the cat goes home, he or she will have trouble walking for several days, and the caregiver must use a special litter made out of recycled newspaper to avoid infection. The surgery is considered to be moderately to severely painful (Geller). One vet described, "cats bouncing off the walls of the recovery cage because of excruciating pain. Cats that are more stoic huddle in the corner of the recovery cage, immobilized in a state of helplessness, presumably by the overwhelming pain" (Dodman).

POST-SURGICAL STATISTICS

Following the surgery, there is no question that the cat will experience pain for several days. Cats do not exhibit pain the same way humans do, but elevated blood pressure, an increased pulse rate, fever, and limping are evidence that pain exists. Complications such as bleeding, swelling and infection may also occur. If any of these complications arise, it means another painful and expensive trip to the vet. A Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine study on 163 cats reported that 50% of the cats experienced one or more of these complications. About 20% experienced further complications such as infection, nail regrowth and lameness (qtd. Marder). There is also speculation that behavioral problem arise in cats that undergo declaw surgery (although there is no hard evidence). For example, immediately following the surgery, it is painful for a cat to use the litter box. The cat then associates pain with using the litter box, which may result in the cat using other areas of the house for elimination. Other behavioral side affects are biting and personality changes. Because the cat no longer has its claws for protection, he or she may overcompensate for the loss by biting. The cat may also become withdrawn or stressed due to the loss of its claws (Ginsberg). The stress could be caused by many things including the inability to simply jump onto an object, like a chair or couch or bed, and hold on with its claws. Even the joy of playing will be altered because the cat will no longer be able to grasp string or other toys with its claws.

THE RISKS

If putting your loving cat through the anguish is not enough to dissuade you against declawing, there are significant medical reasons not to go through with it. An onychectomy is major surgery. There is a risk involved with subjecting a cat to the physical stress of anesthesia and the strain of surgery. There is also a risk that substandard surgical techniques can result in shattered bones, hemorrhaging, and regrowth of the nail in a deformed manner that is hard to treat later (Ginsberg). According to Warren Eckstein, a world-renowned pet behaviorist, "X-rays of the bone structure of Kitty's legs before and after declawing show a marked difference that's caused by his having to balance himself unnaturally. Without the nails, physical stress is placed on the legs, where it wasn't intended to be." From an emotional standpoint, the added long-term stress and frustration can cause chronic cystitis (bladder infection) or skin disorders (HDW Enterprises). If a cat experiences any or several of these side affects, the additional veterinary costs, in addition to the initial surgery, will well exceed any monetary loss due to damage in the home.

CREATING A SCRATCH-FRIENDLY HOME

There are many solutions cat owners can utilize to create a safe, happy, scratch-friendly home for their cats. A scratch-friendly home begins with the proper scratching tools. There are many wonderful scratching devices on the market today. There are scratching posts, trees, condos, toys, and even boxes covered in carpet to hide the litter box. Most cats prefer scratchers made out of corrugated cardboard or sisal. The corrugated cardboard scratchers look like rectangular boxes or floor mats several inches thick filled with cardboard. Fortunately, these types of scratchers are very inexpensive so you can buy several.

Teaching Kitty to Use the Scratching Tools

More important than picking the right type of scratching tool is the quantity and location of those tools. If you only provide one scratching post, it isn't going to work. You can't expect the cat to travel to where the scratching post is located when the urge hits it. If your favorite chair, couch or rug is closer, that is what the cat will use. Therefore, place the scratching devices near any vertical object you think the cat will scratch. Place one near the bottom of the stairs (if carpeted), next to any vulnerable furniture item where the cat and the family spend a significant amount of time, and place one near the cat's favorite napping place. Next, you need to show your cat what to do with the scratching devices by using it yourself. That's right! Scratch your own nails loudly on the scratching device to attract the curiosity of the cat. When your cat investigates to see what you are doing, praise him or her with kind words and a rub in their favorite place. You can also rub catnip on each scratching post to increase the attraction, but consistent praise is the most important ingredient. Don't grab the cat's paws and force them on the scratching device. Most cats don't like to have their paws grabbed, which can cause the cat to avoid the scratching device. Admonish kitty when he or she scratches on anything that is off limits. All furniture should be considered off limits to eliminate confusion. Even furniture specifically designated for the cat should be a no scratching zone (lisaviolet.com).

Nail Trimming

Trimming your cat's nails is also a very important step in maintaining a scratch-friendly environment. Even if you don't have help, there are methods to nail trimming you can learn from your vet to make it easy for both you and your cat. The first time you trim the nails, only cut the tip. There is a vein that runs through the nail and it's important you don't cut that, but it's very easy to see. Two weeks later, cut the tips of the nails again. After two or three pedicure sessions, the vein will recede on its own which will allow you to cut a little more nail each time (Eckstein). As long as the vein is easy to see, you should have no problem giving your kitty pedicures. If you repeat these pedicures every two weeks, it will minimize any scratching damage kitty may cause.

Soft Paws®

If you just don't have the time to spend on consistent training, you can apply Soft Paws nail caps to your cat's nails. SoftPaws are plastic nail caps that are glued to the end of your cat's nails and they last about one month. Your veterinarian can show you how to apply the nail caps the first time, and then you can buy the do-it-yourself kit thereafter from the pet store or a pet magazine.

It may seem like a lot of work at first, but the process is an interesting and fun experiment in your ability to train your cat. You will also find that you can use some of the techniques to teach your cat other useful lessons. In the end you will have a scratch-friendly safe environment for your cat where he or she will be able to enjoy the use of its claws.

check this link if you want to read everything......

The Facts About Declawing

Liebling, thank you for posting this link.

I wish declawing was illegal here in the USA too just like it is in your country.

Liebling, thank you for posting this link.

I wish declawing was illegal here in the USA too just like it is in your country.

Welcome :D

I'm surprised that declaw is legal in USA and wish that protection cruelty animal should focus on this and fix the law.

Declawing is like an amputation of your fingers.

Claw-sur-dia-color.jpg

This picture shows where the vets would cut. They are cutting a part of the cats bones off along with their claws. It would be like cutting the first joints on your fingers off. How would we be able to function? Sure, we would learn how to but it won't be the same. Same as cats.

What if your cats ran away? They won't be able to defend themselves.

Cats are like small children. They will learn not to stratch on couches, etc. It takes time to teach them. My cat never does that and he's still a baby. My boyfriend built him his very own cat tree so he could stratch his heart out anytime he wants.

Put it any way you like but it is downright cruel to do this to cats. There is a big difference between spaying and declawing. Spaying is necessary and it doesn't affect the cats bodies afterwards. Cats walk on their claws.

Claws are involved in almost everything a cat does during her waking hours. In the morning, she digs her claws into her scratching post and pulls against the claws' resistance to energize and tone her upper body. During playtime, her claws snag flying toys out of the air and hold them in place. When she runs across the house and up the stairs, her claws act like cleats to provide extra traction. When she scales her kitty condo, she uses her claws like miniature mountaineering crampons that let her reach the top with ease.

A cat uses claws to scratch an itch, manipulate catnip mice, grip a narrow catwalk, hoist her body up to a high-up perch, and grab onto a chair for stability during grooming. Claws are even used in self-expression; for example, a slight extension of the claws is a subtle way to say "I'm tired of being held and am ready to get down."

In some circumstances, claws are lifesavers, enabling a cat to climb to safety or thwart an attacker.

All this and much more is lost when a cat is declawed.

Most of the world does not declaw. In practically every country where cats are companion animals, declawing is illegal or effectively banned. It is still common in the U.S. and Canada.

"Declawing" is a benign-sounding term. When people first hear the word, they usually think it means some sort of claw-clipping, not a series of ten amputations that leave the cat without the end of her front paws. Pro-claw veterinarians report that over half their clients considering declawing change their minds once they find out what the procedure really is.

Being forced to walk unnaturally can put a strain on the paws and cause long-term pain. The pain may build up gradually, and may be aggravated if the cat is overweight. A cat can't tell you directly that her paws ache. You'll find that out when she starts avoiding the litter box.

To read more... Companion Animals - Why Cats Need Claws

i dont believe in having the cats declawed.. God put claws on them for good reason.. they use claws to protect themselves? what if they got out and got lost. then encountered a wild cat and wild cat will attack the cat and how will the cat protect himself then?? the cat will end up getting attacked and painful especially balls being ripped out by claws and mouth.
is that the way you want the cat not defensive? NO i dont believe in that. its CRUEL .. ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!!!!! i dont have all of my cats and kittens declawed.. all of them have claws!

i have experience as a friend gave the cat to me . i kept her in house but she died in HOUSE.. how??? snake got in and strangled her.. my mom said she heard noises.. so i looked and looked and found her strangled by snake in cabinet.. i was like OH FOOK!!! got shovel and killed the snake.. but too late.. my cat's back is broken and she look bad in shape.. took her to vet.. vet said shes not doing good.. neck broke? i was like what?? i cried and cried.. yes had to put her to sleep!!!

no wonder God put claws on cats for reason.. TO PROTECT themselves.. dog attack them? they can protect themselves against dogs, cats and wild animals. :(

Post was quoted by Banjo: If people care more about their furniture than their cats' welfare... then maybe they shouldn't have pets to begin with. If people feel offended by what I said, well... too bad.

I take that as passing judgement on cat owners who had their cats declawed.

Yes I understood. I know it's bit harsh but I can see that Banjo didn't point his finger to pet owners directly who declaw their cats but rant his own opinion and how he feel in general way because it's fact - not bash or insult.

Banjo is not only one who say this but the people says the same things as well. The reason they are angry because the owners adopt the cats and then have cats's claw remove because of that furniture. See the example of link, I provided in my earlier post. Why? The owners have children and can educate them, why can't they educate the pets as well then? Why only cat, not dog or any other pets?

From Liebling's link in previous post.
Declawing is not only unfair to your furry friend, but it is also cruel. If your new puppy scratched grooves in your front door trying to escape, would you have his claws removed? If your child began the bad habit of biting his or her nails, would you have the child's fingertips amputated? Of course not! You'd teach them to change their behavior. Likewise, you can teach your cat to use his or her claws in a non-destructive manner

Cheri's post
And I know for matter of fact that some landlords would allow tenants to have cats unless they're declawed. My landlord is one of those people. This is gotten be one hot topic, but it's important for members to keep their remarks as maturity, not to offense cat owners who already had their cats declawed. It's their personal choice, We are here to learn something, and not to offensive someone. So I hope members keep that in mind. ;)

Yes, we do not against their decision for declaw their cats because it's their choice. We only state our opinion what we think of declawing, that's all... It's not bash or insult, when we rant our opinion why we disagree to have cat's claw to remove. It's offensive/bash when I point my finger on you and rant on you how bad you are etc...

Yes, we have landlords here that the pets are not acceptance... Tenants have to accept landlord's rule after sign agreement contract before move in... If disagreement, then look other apartment where landlords are pet lovers. I see no excuse to declaw cat because landlord says so.

I'm sorry if you feel that my post is harsh. I can't help it because it's my feeling after see how suffer the cats are with no claws. :(

i forgot to add .. Ricky a bobcat mixed was given to me by my sister's friend. he is really sweet. he is declawed. now his front legs dont walk right. he cnat run.. his legs are not in right place .. i have to keep him indoors but he want to go outside sometimes. the previous owner let him roam free.. stupid.. should be kept indoor if no claws.. jeez .. i felt bad for him.. not walking right and cant run? it look like he already have arthiritis in front legs cuz not walk right. poor Ricky.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back