TN commandos to learn sign language at school for the deaf

I don't know if they're allowed to actually serve, but I remember there was an article lately on them instructing basic courses in Israeli Sign Language.

It never mentioned where they were assigned. Let me find it. :)

What about deaf people with CIs? I keep reading about some of them saying that they hear like hearing people and since I dont have a CI, I cant dispute their experiences. However, having said that, if they can "hear" like hearing people, would they be eligible for military operations like the one you described?
In combat situations and covert operations, one must expect to get wet, dirty, and banged up. I don't know if the external CI equipment would hold up. :dunno:

When I joined the Navy (as a non-combatant), we weren't even allowed to have retainers from braces. I had to delay my enlistment for a couple months until my orthodontic treatment was completed.

There are some categories that don't allow eye glasses or contacts or color blindness. It's not just deafness that is restricted.

I am not arguing with you here and I have no desire to join the military but I know so many deaf people who have expressed a desire to help fight for our country's freedom and feel like crap that they cant.
I know you aren't arguing with me--it's the reality of military services. I don't make the rules, I just explain them and the reasoning behind them. :)

i don't know if they're allowed to actually serve, but i remember there was an article lately on them instructing basic courses in israeli sign language.

It never mentioned where they were assigned. Let me find it. :)
ok. :)

In combat situations and covert operations, one must expect to get wet, dirty, and banged up. I don't know if the external CI equipment would hold up. :dunno:

When I joined the Navy (as a non-combatant), we weren't even allowed to have retainers from braces. I had to delay my enlistment for a couple months until my orthodontic treatment was completed.

There are some categories that don't allow eye glasses or contacts or color blindness. It's not just deafness that is restricted.

I know you aren't arguing with me--it's the reality of military services. I don't make the rules, I just explain them and the reasoning behind them. :)

Thanks for explaining them! :)

Even specialized squads have to communicate and interact with other people in their chain of command.

I'm curious; in your scenario, would the terps also be military volunteers or contract civilian employees? Would their primary duty be interpreting?

I did not see this addressed, or I missed it. Since you appear to be our military expert in AD, what options in non-combat or combat support areas could deafs be involved in?
My personal feelings here: if I were in a combat zone, I would feel less secure if there were soldiers that required special arrangements behind or along side me. Just my opinion, and remember, I was full hearing at one time. In an intensive combat situation, I would not want someone that needs an interp to tell them there is incoming artillery or aircraft. Every second counts in many situations during battle. I would think there are other fields that are possible for deaf/HOH, but away from the front lines. Your input, Reba?

As a deaf person, I do not want to put other people life in danger because I couldn't hear. plus, they have technologies that give out commands (like walkie-talkie) , and if I couldn't understand it, I could be doing something illegal.

But I would love to volunteer somewhere in the military if they would take me.

Okay...

When I looked up "deaf military israel," I found a few links that are of interest, but they weren't what I was looking for since anyone could make stuff up.

deaf in the military (too vague)
DeafDC Blog Deaf Soldiers (second-hand source)
WRAD Homepage (again, second-hand)

Also in Israel I got to meet a few DEAF soldiers serving in the Israeli military. Yes, they were DEAF and HARD OF HEARING and they were allowed to serve in non-combat positions within the military. I am beginning to wonder why here in the United States the deaf are not allowed to serve in the military. I think it would be a good opportunity for them to have the military experience and get wonderful benefits if they wanted to serve for the country. It is better than seeing deaf people on government assistance like the SSI without any military experience! Speaking of the military, I got to visit the Armored Corps Museum next to the Mini Israel and it was worth a visit as you will get to see over 120 armored battle vehicles on display as well as some captured military tanks and other equipment at the museum.

Again... unreliable... but this interested me:

STRESSED TRADES TARGETED FOR CF RECRUITING - David Pugliese?s Defence Watch

I think the Canadian government and the DND should have more open mind recruiting on deaf people to work on trades i.e. Aviation Techincian etc... the problem is DND do not accept deaf people to work on "regular forces or reservist" due to not met their physical standard.

Ok, myself I'm deaf person, I do not consider myself as a disable person. I know you can see me as disable person based on ideology. I only speak sign language but written and read in English. I know lots of deaf people have a good trades worker skills. Most of them work end up on civilian aerospace and other various industuries but not the military except civilian job on DND bases / building but it is very rarely and still not enough. They're saying find an excuised because of safety reasons, interpreter issues, etc... but hey what about French speakers with no knowledge of speaking in English? Hmm?

I'm get sick and tired of our country use their pride on Charter of Rights, the reason is... 80% deaf people in Ontario is unemployed (not sure of national average, I'm pretty sure it's still far high percentage), still oppressive eh? While Canadian immigrants unemployed is 12% (maybe more due to recession recently) And the national average is around 7%+ unemployed. Is it something wrong in the picture on our Charter of Rights?

I'm impressed at Israeli government that they've accepted 40-60 deaf people on Israeli military service. I felt that Canadian government should do the same way what Israeli did. And it will help pull down of unemployment rate on deaf people in Canada.

Will they listened and concerned what I just wrote on this comment? I hope so.

However when I changed the Google search to "hearing impaired," then I got a lot more hits. The first one that interested me was:

Question about joining the IDF... - Israel Military Forum

Which led me to these:

Two Additional Physical Profiles in the IDF
A Soldier's Motivation to Succeed

It's driving me nuts because I remember there were two pictures in that article about the Deaf being instructed in sign language during basic training. And it had a red frame.

I am not arguing with you here and I have no desire to join the military but I know so many deaf people who have expressed a desire to help fight for our country's freedom and feel like crap that they cant.

That was how I felt after graduation from HS.

I did not see this addressed, or I missed it. Since you appear to be our military expert in AD, what options in non-combat or combat support areas could deafs be involved in?
My personal feelings here: if I were in a combat zone, I would feel less secure if there were soldiers that required special arrangements behind or along side me. Just my opinion, and remember, I was full hearing at one time. In an intensive combat situation, I would not want someone that needs an interp to tell them there is incoming artillery or aircraft. Every second counts in many situations during battle. I would think there are other fields that are possible for deaf/HOH, but away from the front lines. Your input, Reba?
I'm not an expert but I do have experience, and I know where to look for help.

One of the basic problems is that the philosophy of military service and the goals of equal employment opportunities are totally "apples and oranges." Our military forces were created to defend our nation, not to provide jobs. They do provide jobs for people but only as they are needed to fill a military need, not an employee need.

The military always puts the needs of the mission first, and personnel second.

Equal employment opportunity puts the needs of the potential employee first, without caring about the mission of the hiring company.

Another example of how military and civilian philosophies and practices differ is in medical triage. In civilian hospital ER's the patients in the worst condition are taken care of first, and the least ill or injured are taken care of last. On a Navy ship that is under attack and seriously damaged with lots of personnel casualties, guess who gets medical attention first? The least wounded. Why? Because they can be patched up quickly and get back to the work of saving the ship. Seriously injured crewmen can't help, so they are taken care of later, if possible.

If a sailor on a deployed sub gets very ill, the boat's corpsman does the best he can to treat him. If he can save the sailor, great. If not, sorry. The sub WILL NOT SURFACE for a medical evacuation (depending on the mission requirements). To do so would endanger the mission, so sometimes an individual's needs will be sacrificed.

Suppose a sailor's wife and baby die in childbirth while his sub is deployed. The boat's radioman gets the message from the Red Cross. Does he give that message to the sailor? No. He gives it to the Captain. The Captain decides whether or not to inform the sailor. Often they do not until they arrive at port later. Why? Because they don't want the sailor to get too upset to do his job.

All that shows that the primary focus is success of the mission, not the needs of the individual.

One of the problems with setting aside "non-combatant" billets for Deaf people is that combat rotation is effected. The hearing military members would have no non-combat billets with which to rotate their tours.

Another problem is that there really are no completely combat-free specialties. Theoretically, any service-member could wind up in a hazardous situation, and must be prepared for that.

For example, Hubby (when he was on active duty in the Navy) was assigned to an administrative billet at a stateside torpedo facility. He worked most of the time in an office, in support of the people who were assembling the torpedoes. It was a very dangerous facility because of the fuels and explosives that they used. It was always possible that a torpedo would go "hot" and everyone would have SECONDS to evacuate the building. They had frequent drills, and some real life close calls. When the alarm goes off every technician, officer, clerk, etc., has to be able to jump over obstacles, thru small openings, and RUN for cover.

When Hubby served on ships, even though his primary duty was administrative support, he also had to serve as part of the fire fighting team, Captain's talker (relaying his messages to the crew) on the bridge, and bogey plotter (marking on a see-thru chart the positions of unknown craft when another crewman shouts out the information). EVERY crewman (cooks, medics, admin) grabs a helmet and runs to his position when the gong is sounded for general quarters.

There are civilian jobs that are available in the Department of Defense that support the military. Admin, accounting, medical, supply, etc., have civilian opportunities. Civilian support is very important.

I'm not an expert but I do have experience, and I know where to look for help.

One of the basic problems is that the philosophy of military service and the goals of equal employment opportunities are totally "apples and oranges." Our military forces were created to defend our nation, not to provide jobs. They do provide jobs for people but only as they are needed to fill a military need, not an employee need.

The military always puts the needs of the mission first, and personnel second.

Equal employment opportunity puts the needs of the potential employee first, without caring about the mission of the hiring company.

Another example of how military and civilian philosophies and practices differ is in medical triage. In civilian hospital ER's the patients in the worst condition are taken care of first, and the least ill or injured are taken care of last. On a Navy ship that is under attack and seriously damaged with lots of personnel casualties, guess who gets medical attention first? The least wounded. Why? Because they can be patched up quickly and get back to the work of saving the ship. Seriously injured crewmen can't help, so they are taken care of later, if possible.

If a sailor on a deployed sub gets very ill, the boat's corpsman does the best he can to treat him. If he can save the sailor, great. If not, sorry. The sub WILL NOT SURFACE for a medical evacuation (depending on the mission requirements). To do so would endanger the mission, so sometimes an individual's needs will be sacrificed.

Suppose a sailor's wife and baby die in childbirth while his sub is deployed. The boat's radioman gets the message from the Red Cross. Does he give that message to the sailor? No. He gives it to the Captain. The Captain decides whether or not to inform the sailor. Often they do not until they arrive at port later. Why? Because they don't want the sailor to get too upset to do his job.

All that shows that the primary focus is success of the mission, not the needs of the individual.

One of the problems with setting aside "non-combatant" billets for Deaf people is that combat rotation is effected. The hearing military members would have no non-combat billets with which to rotate their tours.

Another problem is that there really are no completely combat-free specialties. Theoretically, any service-member could wind up in a hazardous situation, and must be prepared for that.

For example, Hubby (when he was on active duty in the Navy) was assigned to an administrative billet at a stateside torpedo facility. He worked most of the time in an office, in support of the people who were assembling the torpedoes. It was a very dangerous facility because of the fuels and explosives that they used. It was always possible that a torpedo would go "hot" and everyone would have SECONDS to evacuate the building. They had frequent drills, and some real life close calls. When the alarm goes off every technician, officer, clerk, etc., has to be able to jump over obstacles, thru small openings, and RUN for cover.

When Hubby served on ships, even though his primary duty was administrative support, he also had to serve as part of the fire fighting team, Captain's talker (relaying his messages to the crew) on the bridge, and bogey plotter (marking on a see-thru chart the positions of unknown craft when another crewman shouts out the information). EVERY crewman (cooks, medics, admin) grabs a helmet and runs to his position when the gong is sounded for general quarters.

There are civilian jobs that are available in the Department of Defense that support the military. Admin, accounting, medical, supply, etc., have civilian opportunities. Civilian support is very important.

Wow..that opened my eyes some about serving in the military. It makes sense. :ty:

....I'm not an expert but I do have experience, and I know where to look for help....
I assumed you were an expert, and I think I was right. Very good answers to my questions. My father did 20 years of Naval service, so I got to listen to a lot of this, but I might not have paid attention to all of it. I was 6 years old when he retired. The needs of the mission being #1 was never in doubt, but some of your explanations covered things I had not considered.

BTW, you look quite dapper in your uniform. It look like Air Force. When was this picture taken? What rank were you at the time? Thanks again for an excellent post!

I assumed you were an expert, and I think I was right. Very good answers to my questions. My father did 20 years of Naval service, so I got to listen to a lot of this, but I might not have paid attention to all of it. I was 6 years old when he retired. The needs of the mission being #1 was never in doubt, but some of your explanations covered things I had not considered.

BTW, you look quite dapper in your uniform. It look like Air Force. When was this picture taken? What rank were you at the time? Thanks again for an excellent post!
Heh, heh, my daughter didn't pay much attention to us either when we were in the military. That's how kids are. :lol:

I was a Navy WAVES (Women Enlisted for Volunteer Emergency Service), enlisted in 1970. The picture was taken in 1971 at my first duty station. I was a Seaman Journalist striker at that time. That was my dress blues uniform. A few years later the Navy dropped WAVES and switched the women to regular Navy. Our uniforms were changed a bit then, too. The collar insignia of the WAVES was eliminated, and our dress blues became black.

Heh, heh, my daughter didn't pay much attention to us either when we were in the military. That's how kids are. :lol:

I was a Navy WAVES (Women Enlisted for Volunteer Emergency Service), enlisted in 1970. The picture was taken in 1971 at my first duty station. I was a Seaman Journalist striker at that time. That was my dress blues uniform. A few years later the Navy dropped WAVES and switched the women to regular Navy. Our uniforms were changed a bit then, too. The collar insignia of the WAVES was eliminated, and our dress blues became black.
That's right, they had women's divisions back then; also WAFs and WACs, I believe.

Dad did not stop talking about Navy when he retired; he talked about it much more, since he was home, not overseas all the time. We lived in Norfolk, VA from 1958 until 1962. After that, he retired, and we moved as far from oceans as we could: Minnesota. :wave: He also avoided fish and rice from that day forward. Dad =:barf:

I was also shocked to learn that one of the old facilities for Naval training was located in....Idaho! The Farragut Naval Training Station is located in the northern part of the state, on Lake Pend Oreille. What a pretty lake it is, and it has a spot over 1100 feet deep! :shock:

OK sorry for the hijack. Back to the topic.

Tamil Nadu Commando is based in India.... not America.

These are Indian special forces, not American special forces.

I know, they shouldn't use an acronym.

Back