tips from police who support deaf.

illustrator

Reaction score
I met the nice Houston (TX) policeman who appear at Deaf Celebration 2002 at Alrington. He is member of SHHH. He have several of good friends who are deafs. He give a great speech toward deafs in crowd.

Good lesson, I learn from him.

Do and don't when stopped by an officer...
•• Keep your hands on the steering wheel, don't make move to find note and pen. Because the officer may suspense that you plan to do something stupid.
•• Do advise the officer that you are deaf or hard of hearing by use your hand and point your ear. that make obvious to the officer.
•• Don't get out of the car unless in instructed.
•• Do ask for an interpreter to officer (not accept when stop for speed ticket , judge rule)
•• Police isn't always look careful to your DL that appear you are deaf or hearing because of the basic train that the officer is always focus on where you are from and proof of Drive License.
•• Police doesn't reason that there are lot of deaf (about 6 millions alone in USA, just compare to only 600,000 law enforcement officers in the USA)
•• Don't let officer, who know sign languge, interpreter because he or she don't have certification for interpreter.
•• Officer cannot put handcuff a deaf person "in front". Only "in back" like the rest does.
•• Don't go near or touch the officer, they may think you are try to do something stupid. Simple wave or yell "HEY!"
•• Most law enforcement officers are not familiar with ADA! Because that way they being train is "to help people"

Originally posted by illustrator
•• Officer cannot put handcuff a deaf person "in front". Only "in back" like the rest does.

:nono: There's no way I'm gonna let it the arm behind my back.. How am I suppose to communicate, how am I suppose to write.

Re: Re: tips from police who support deaf.

Originally posted by cloud
:nono: There's no way I'm gonna let it the arm behind my back.. How am I suppose to communicate, how am I suppose to write.

Sorry, Judge rule that no allow to have front anymore. But, I do know very few states are allow to have front - depend which person will be allow or not.

Re: Re: Re: tips from police who support deaf.

Originally posted by illustrator
Sorry, Judge rule that no allow to have front anymore. But, I do know very few states are allow to have front - depend which person will be allow or not.

Yeah that's what I mean

If it not that dangerous or rough. It should be in front.

Otherwise keep it back because they might have come again.

That's why you have a right to silence. If you have anything to say against it, do it in the court...blah blah blah blah..that's why your hands have to cuffed in back. I know...it's so fuckin' hurt to slam the handcuff on the hand in the back.

I never thought that they would treat deaf differently. I think they should treat all deaf the same as hearing... after all, that's what everyone is complaining about... "we're equals!"

I would have thought they should treat the deaf and hearing the same when it comes arresting..

Originally posted by BostonIceFire
I would have thought they should treat the deaf and hearing the same when it comes arresting..

Nope. Usually, the cops just bust your ass and treat you like shit.. or they could fawn over you and claim to their friends they arrested a Deaf who can sign!

I have seen both ways happen.

Originally posted by BostonIceFire

remmy when officer saying, blah blah while arrrest you, you have no right to speak until you are in the court to settle thing up.

very interesting information. By the way, I have known a several friendly cops in my old hometown where I felt so secure. Yes, they gave me a helpful tip. My best friend's husband is also cop and educating other cops sign language and communication tools when they first meet Deaf drivers on the road. ;)

Do and don't when stopped by an officer...
•• Keep your hands on the steering wheel, don't make move to find note and pen. Because the officer may suspense that you plan to do something stupid.

THAT NEVER HAPPEN TO ME BEFORE EVERYTIMES I GOT PULL OVER FROM OFFICER I ALWAY HAVE TWO DIFFERNET CARD IS DL AND ID THAT PROOF I AM DEAF (HARD OF HEARING) SO WHEN I TAKE MY DEAF PROOF ID AND I RAISE MY ID OUT THE WINDOWS BEFORE OFFICER START SPEAK SO OFFICER LET ME GO SO NO WARNING NO TICKETS THAT IS SOO FREAK WERID I HAVE NO IDEAS WHY... YOU MIGHT NEED TO GET DEAF PROOF ID FROM DEAF OUTREACH OFFICE SOME AREA..

•• Most law enforcement officers are not familiar with ADA! Because that way they being train is "to help people"

GOOD LET OFFICER HAVE GOOD TIME TO S.M.A.R.T

OK I JUST HAVE PROBLEMS WITH OFFICER LONG TIMES AGO WHEN I WAS 15 OR 16 YEAR OLD THAT TIMES I WAS RIDE FROM MY BROTHER OFFICER HAVE PULL MY BROTHER CAR OVER FOR NO REASON AND OFFICER TELL MY BROTHER TO GET OUT OF CAR AND SAME THING OFFICER TRY TO TELL ME TO GET OUT BUT I CANT HEAR SO MY BROTHER YELL AT OFFICER TO LET THEM KNOW THAT I AM DEAF SO OFFICER DONT BELIEVE IT SO OFFICER JUST PULL THE GUN ON MY DAMN NECK AND SAID GET OUT OF CAR AND I SAID WHAT I AM DEAF SO THEY DONT BELIEVE ME EITHER SO THEY DRAG ME OUT OF CAR AND USE METAL STICK TO WHACK MY HEAD OFF AND I WAS OUT OF COMA FOR FOUR DAYS SO MY MOTHER END UP SUE THE OFFICER WHO BEAT DEAF AS 16 YEAR OLD HOW DO YOU IMAGE WHAT YOU FELT WHAT OFFICER DO TO YOU.. THAT IS PRETTY BAD..... BUT I DONT HATE POLICE BUT THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOBS PROTECT BUT WELL THEY PAY ME $$$$$ SOMETIME I DO HATE POLICE IF THEY DONT LISTEN SO THAT LIFE ANYWAY

We pass out these guides to cops. Dont be misled by the size of the image, the guide is real small unfortunately.

Richard

Attachments

• may11_01.jpg
    may11_01.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 16
I understand about what to 'do' and 'don't' with when stopped by a cop...but I disagree about the part of putting handcuffs on a deaf person with hands to the back. How will the deaf person communicate if the cop's asking questions, etc.? I believe there should be some flexibility in allowing deaf people to be handcuffed with hands in front of them so they can write on paper or sign when needed.
I understand the police being wary of having that allowed due to protecting the police, etc. from harm and so forth. Still, there should be a way in solving that without taking away deaf people's communication mode. You know?

Last several years ago, my bank tripped an alarm and the shutters locked down (no one in and out of bank), Im stuck inside of bank, a banker guided me near the lobby shutter door (barred doors). The police officer came to the shutters and let the banker open the shutter for a police then a banker told the police that I am deaf, the officer gestured "L" on both hand, I pull out my ID card to the officer. I was puzzle what happened at my bank. I just came in and shutter too quickly shut down behind me as arrival at the bank for deposit my checks. It's my first time a bank robbery.. oh boy.. I didn't get killed by the robber or robber left the bank after shutters shut down...

The insurance industry that underwrites the cop's multi-million-dollar life insurance policies makes the cops do anything and everything to reduce or eliminate any potential risk of harm to the policy holders. We should be pointing the fingers at the underwriters instead of the cops.

Richard

Thanks for the information.;)

One time I got pulled over by a police, I stayed in my car of course turn off my engine and the police would come over my driver's side window and tried to talk to me that's when I said "I am deaf" the police did not asked me for my ID he just told me I was driving too fast that I need to slow down and he let me go with a warning. Wow! I was sure lucky that day.:)

Back