Thoughts on SSI/SSDI?

Mainly an inspection of the smoke detector, C02 detector, fire extinguisher, all the mechanicals (sink, toilet, stove, fridge, etc) and a general health inspection. If your apartment is very dirty, they'll fail you. They are very, very strict and I'd rather not deal with Section 8 at all.

Also, at least in my state, they can request a drug test at any time of anyone receiving a Section 8 voucher.

Mainly an inspection of the smoke detector, C02 detector, fire extinguisher, all the mechanicals (sink, toilet, stove, fridge, etc) and a general health inspection. If your apartment is very dirty, they'll fail you. They are very, very strict and I'd rather not deal with Section 8 at all.

Been there and done that when I lived in one of the units approved by Seattle Housing Authority, they would come and check my unit once a year.

I see thanks for sharing. It almost feels like they are treating the people with housing help like little kids. Is that how it feels? Almost like an invasion of privacy.

There was a time where I have heard from a person that she is on SSDI and refuses to find a full-time job because she did not want to lose her benefits. And each time she finds a part-time job, she would calculate how much that part-time job makes at a specific amount of hours, for example at 22 hours per week, the monthly amount meets the maximum in order to keep the SSDI going. Whenever her job wants to offer her more hours, she declined. Whatever there is a raise - she wants to either reduce her hours or quit her job and find another.

*hi everyone! been a while since i've posted here at AllDeaf.. but hi everyone!*

Also, at least in my state, they can request a drug test at any time of anyone receiving a Section 8 voucher.

They don't do that in VT and they shouldn't. Drugs have nothing to do with housing.

There was a time where I have heard from a person that she is on SSDI and refuses to find a full-time job because she did not want to lose her benefits. And each time she finds a part-time job, she would calculate how much that part-time job makes at a specific amount of hours, for example at 22 hours per week, the monthly amount meets the maximum in order to keep the SSDI going. Whenever her job wants to offer her more hours, she declined. Whatever there is a raise - she wants to either reduce her hours or quit her job and find another.

Doesn't that get boring after a while? Turning down all kinds of opportunities to advance and make more money (and get off of SSDI) just so you can keep your SSDI?

What's the point there?

And why do most people assume that all Deaf people get SSI/SSDI? I don't like being associated with people who do.

*hi everyone! been a while since i've posted here at AllDeaf.. but hi everyone!*

This is what I am trying to say. SSA doesn't do anything to research and reduce or stop your payment. I mean, when you stop working or change jobs, they ask you why you quit. What does this lady tell them? If they heard those exact reasons, shouldn't SSA reduce her SSI payments? It shows she's more than capable of working, but where's SSA effort to get her off SSI?

This is what I am trying to say. SSA doesn't do anything to research and reduce or stop your payment. I mean, when you stop working or change jobs, they ask you why you quit. What does this lady tell them? If they heard those exact reasons, shouldn't SSA reduce her SSI payments? It shows she's more than capable of working, but where's SSA effort to get her off SSI?

I'm not saying it never happens, because it certainly does. Also depends on the disability. There are times that it simply is more financially sound for a person with a disability to work part time and continue to receive SSI, especially because of the medical card.

You can have a portion of your income deferred if you are receiving SSI and are putting the money towards training, schooling, or saving for school or training. You can also have a portion of your income deferred for expenses related to work.

chances are, it would be very restricted and limited.
also some kind of assets testing?

I dont know the USA system, but nevertheless the point is, its basically the same all over the world, (pretty much so), the main point is, its so severely restricted as does the restricted access to 'real world chances', theres no such thng as 'rights' except oly in THEIR favour or favour according to hearing majority (or normalcy-regulated) majority.
(flavour or favour, yes two different words for different things, i said both to accomodate differing views or 'understandings some might be taken to)

I don't know about you but whether a person is Deaf or Hearing, cheating the government is cheating the government.

I couldn't agree more. I know of people who receive benefits that shouldn't be (they're earning too much and not reporting it, etc.) and then when they get caught and are assessed "overpayment" penalties, they cry and whine about it. I don't want to hear about it.

I couldn't agree more. I know of people who receive benefits that shouldn't be (they're earning too much and not reporting it, etc.) and then when they get caught and are assessed "overpayment" penalties, they cry and whine about it. I don't want to hear about it.

Exactly.

The system is in place to help those who need help and I have nothing against that.

And I assume that most people have fantasies at one point or another of cheating the government. As tempting as it may be, the risks are far too great.

Not on the other hand, the Government (your govt, as well as mine and elsewhere in the world) are cheating against US !!!! i could hardy blame these people for trying to get past rough times, look at the food prices and oil prices recently - doesnt that tell you anything? and more so that 'better jobs' around the corner doesnt exist for hoh/deaf/Deaf people anymore , unless you're very very lucky.

Back