Thoughts on SSI/SSDI?

Not on the other hand, the Government (your govt, as well as mine and elsewhere in the world) are cheating against US !!!! i could hardy blame these people for trying to get past rough times, look at the food prices and oil prices recently - doesnt that tell you anything? and more so that 'better jobs' around the corner doesnt exist for hoh/deaf/Deaf people anymore , unless you're very very lucky.

When unemployment soars, as it is currently in the U.S., people with disabilities, and any other minority group are the most adversly affected.

Yes indeedy......................and I mean unfortunatly most insurances don't cover hearing aids, and a lot of other insurances will give you shit when you try for a CI.

Yes indeedy......................and I mean unfortunatly most insurances don't cover hearing aids, and a lot of other insurances will give you shit when you try for a CI.

Unfortunately, that's true. I know that in Maryland, Medicaid covers HAs for pediatrics, but once the kid becomes of legal age, coverage goes bye bye. It frustrates the hell out of me that they can get away with this. Do they think that once the kid becomes an adult, they won't need the HA (or a CI) anymore?

It's ludicrous!

Unfortunately, that's true. I know that in Maryland, Medicaid covers HAs for pediatrics, but once the kid becomes of legal age, coverage goes bye bye. It frustrates the hell out of me that they can get away with this. Do they think that once the kid becomes an adult, they won't need the HA (or a CI) anymore?

It's ludicrous!

Gee, Oceanbreeze....didn't you know that deaf kids grow up to be hearing adults? :giggle:

I never receive SSI or SSDI before. But I'm on SSDAC aka old SSA.

I have a question about SSI and SSDI. I heard of my friends who received SSI and get married. They got cut their money to small amount because of married. Other my friends couple are afraid to get marry because of SSI would cut it down. Is that true??

I'm married and have a SSDAC. It didn't cut my money down yet. I did report to SSA I get married. I think SSI and SSDAC are different.

If you want to know what is SSDAC mean. Social Security Disabled for Adult and Children.

Yes, they have periodic review initially, but they don't give you SSI on a temporary basis if you don't look for work. That's what I meant that they don't enforce you to look for work either with Vocational Rehabilitation or elsewhere so you get off their SSI.

Having a disability is enough to qualify you to receive SSI until you decide to work and earn more income to get off SSI support.

I thought you meant to say that SSI gives you temporary support, but that's not true. What I think you meant to say is that SSI is to help you while you find work. Still, SSI doesn't screen if the person receiving SSI is just being lazy or looking for work, that's why I say that it isn't true that SSI is only temporary. You can still get it and SSI won't stop it as long as you qualify as someone who has a disability.

I have never had a periodic review ever and I have been on SSDI since 2003 but I'm very sick and can not work , I'm on SSDI forever ..I would love to go back to work this drives me crazy trying to live on what I make a month but I have no option's , I can't stand long enough to have a job or sit long enough and like I said I am really sick all day long ..Also I need my SSDI for my medical and since I'm having a huge surgery in October I really need to have my medical .

So some of us deaf people don't just have SSDI cause we are deaf some of us are really sick and can not work..

I also do not get housing help is there a place that could help me get that ? I own my own place but the space rent is killing me..

It's ludicrous!

There is insurance for hearing aids out there but you have to pay $50 a year and they are too strict. You'd have to make up something just to get a hearing aid fixed. I don't get it anymore.

Any form of Social Security is still Social Security.

yeah, but it does not always translates this well in practice, and many a times in recent history it has been becoming a commonplace practice that policys were devised to deceive by matching the words of 'promises' with similar ambiguious words used in documents and throughout the reformed administration that were carried out as so it is justified by what is deemed real in economics terms. It is like comparing to sports, no one is going to argue with stopwatch results but how the rules were orchestrated is another matter - especially were it happen long before the time athletics are set at the starting line.

Any form of Social Security is still Social Security.

Quite true. The only difference is, did you pay into the system in order toreceive your benefits, or are you receiving benefits without ever having made a contribution?

I have never had a periodic review ever and I have been on SSDI since 2003 but I'm very sick and can not work , I'm on SSDI forever ..I would love to go back to work this drives me crazy trying to live on what I make a month but I have no option's , I can't stand long enough to have a job or sit long enough and like I said I am really sick all day long ..Also I need my SSDI for my medical and since I'm having a huge surgery in October I really need to have my medical .

So some of us deaf people don't just have SSDI cause we are deaf some of us are really sick and can not work..

I also do not get housing help is there a place that could help me get that ? I own my own place but the space rent is killing me..

SSDI qualifying criteria is different from SSI qualifying criteria. SSI functions differently than SSDI, and serves a different purpose and a different population.

yeah, but it does not always translates this well in practice, and many a times in recent history it has been becoming a commonplace practice that policys were devised to deceive by matching the words of 'promises' with similar ambiguious words used in documents and throughout the reformed administration that were carried out as so it is justified by what is deemed real in economics terms. It is like comparing to sports, no one is going to argue with stopwatch results but how the rules were orchestrated is another matter - especially were it happen long before the time athletics are set at the starting line.

Respectfully, Grummer, I don't think you know how the SSA works or the differences in types of benefits. The vast majority of social security benefactors have paid into the system in order that those benefits be available to them when they are needed. The individual's employer has contributed an equal amount for the same purpose. Social Security is more of an insurance program than a social welfare program. Only in the case of SSI does an individual become eligible for benefits when no contribution has been made, and that is a temporary assistance for the disabled population.

Respectfully, Grummer, I don't think you know how the SSA works or the differences in types of benefits. The vast majority of social security benefactors have paid into the system in order that those benefits be available to them when they are needed. The individual's employer has contributed an equal amount for the same purpose. Social Security is more of an insurance program than a social welfare program. Only in the case of SSI does an individual become eligible for benefits when no contribution has been made, and that is a temporary assistance for the disabled population.

I Worked 26 years full time straight and I paid into the system and when everything went wrong and I was unable to walk,talk, hear or even hold my head up I starting getting SSDI cause I paid into it ..some of us have no choice to live on it and with it .

I Worked 26 years full time straight and I paid into the system and when everything went wrong and I was unable to walk,talk, hear or even hold my head up I starting getting SSDI cause I paid into it ..some of us have no choice to live on it and with it .

Exactly.

SSI benefits directed to one person would not equal two persons for a married couple. Does that answer your question? Same goes for retirement pension. Anyone afraid of marrying because of losing money can only equate the desire to make money - like those who have children (send 'em off to a residential school) in order to make more money this way.

:ty: for answer my questions. That's true about 2 deaf couples are afraid to get marry. They have 2 kids. Why they should be afraid to get marry because of SSI? :roll: I didn't get lose my SSDAC yet. I didn't understand why I haven't lose my SSDAC yet? Why I should be panic if I get marry with hearing man and lose my SSDAC? I don't have to be panic. I just want to be happy being marriage.

I used to have section 8 at apartment when I was 20. Now, I don't have section 8 anymore. I don't need it. I don't really like Section 8 rules.

Brad, do you think things would be different for you if you wasnt deaf? If you was hearing, do you think you would have a higher paying job?

Well, lot of people don't reply to my posts, so don't worry too much about expecting people to reply your post.

Oh okay. I just want to hear from everyone's respond about SSI couples are afraid to get marry because it would cut ssi DOWN. I have no clue with SSI cut down after marry. I never receive SSI. I had SSA, now I have SSDAC.

Back