Thoughts on SSI/SSDI?

Brad, do you think things would be different for you if you wasnt deaf? If you was hearing, do you think you would have a higher paying job?

I don't think things would be different. If you are suggesting that companies pay people less because they are deaf, I have yet to see this.

I'm currently receiving SSI AND SSDI check, and I honestly think it's great. Knowing myself, I hate to be around people. I can't really "work" like most of you people because it's not good to my health. I get nervous around people, a lot. But anyway now that I get checks, I use the money for stuff I need that earn me more money. Like computer parts, computers even, books, etc. I'm learning to be a programmer so I can earn some $ without being around people. SSI/SSDI is helping me so much with those.

I don't know the whole deal about SSD after getting married but the government has everything much more interlinked information across several agencies so it's best to be straight and let them determine if you can still get SSD or not. They check income on other family members living in the same household.

I do know that you can still get SSD after getting married no matter what. And there is a limit to how much you can work while on SSD. It's better than not getting anything.

SSI helps but it's temporary and less money than SSD. I have a friend who gets SSI but can't get SSD because she did not work enough in her life.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I don't think things would be different. If you are suggesting that companies pay people less because they are deaf, I have yet to see this.

nah, I meant did your deafness prevent you from pursuing a certain career.

Respectfully, Grummer, I don't think you know how the SSA works or the differences in types of benefits. The vast majority of social security benefactors have paid into the system in order that those benefits be available to them when they are needed. The individual's employer has contributed an equal amount for the same purpose. Social Security is more of an insurance program than a social welfare program. Only in the case of SSI does an individual become eligible for benefits when no contribution has been made, and that is a temporary assistance for the disabled population.

yes, the american system is shit, its like a bank - they want the money first, just like mortgage repayments. Id say this once, im not unique in this opinion - alot of disabld people will jump up and rnake even even louder noises than me!, this economic rationale is shit, - I too, dont buy it, i think its stinks when it is money before people, moreso, that disabled people are 'disabled' from being a purposeful member of the [economic] community (or maybe even some ppl dont CARE about money as in contrary to popular opinion, in so saying Especially for disabled people, they get More scorn! what's up with that? (all the while society are so tight that they'd rather starve them off to death to get rid of them)
I probably do not 'understand' different type of benefits system works, its easy ce i get hold of relevant text (mind you i HAVE read a couple already in the last years or 2) but it is 'not my particular area of interest' but given time or if i get assigned into it, you can bet your ass I would get clued up into it, while so I am not at the moment, its just that since I HAVE read some materials regarding this very topic, I have had experienced (academically) some insights at just how complex the system 'is' , i mean like the ways of recuperating the funds back in to the economic system via from allowing [disabled] people to 'functionate' in the community more freely thus providing some means of social contribution.
fuck it if you dont understand what I im saying, its not that important right now, but for one things I hate it when those in powers that be, are the ones actually 'enjoy making rules - using big words, setting off the chain of command down the institutional/political ranks within the so-called 'social policy work. It is like a game to them and 'looking ahead' for the flash glasses of champange in the cocktail functions which they often attends for 'more opputurnities' to exploit the economic system which they became quite astute regarding their philanthropically professional or 'society' lives.

I never receive SSI or SSDI before. But I'm on SSDAC aka old SSA.

I have a question about SSI and SSDI. I heard of my friends who received SSI and get married. They got cut their money to small amount because of married. Other my friends couple are afraid to get marry because of SSI would cut it down. Is that true??

I'm married and have a SSDAC. It didn't cut my money down yet. I did report to SSA I get married. I think SSI and SSDAC are different.

If you want to know what is SSDAC mean. Social Security Disabled for Adult and Children.
It depends on spouse's income and the property (SSI only). I never really thought of that, they were afraid of getting married. It does not make any sense if they don't have or own anything, they should be allow to be married. I used to have SSA for many years and collect SSA for my kids. Now I am working, thank god I make more money than I ever made in my whole life. My husband is collecting SSDI, honestly I wish he gets better and goes back to his old job (would make 4 time than he is collecting SSDI but he is permantely disabled and not walk well).

I find it funny when some Deaf people I know complained about losing SSDI while working under the table and/or making too much money and hiding it from the SSA.

I thought it was pathetic but I didn't bother speaking my mind.

I think it is pathetic also.

I can not make a true accusation due to it is hearsay. But I will say it anyways

My ex collects ssdi. Before he had to pay a substantial amount of child support. Now he collects ssdi. I only get a small amount.

From friends that knows him they are all saying he is laughing and saying he collects SS and working under the table. So he doesn't have to pay.

He is pathetic because he is allowing the ssdi garnish he benifits to pay child support.

Pathetic.

Why yes it IS!!

Oh if anyone knows of a way to catch a person manipulating the system how would you go about catching them working under the table while collecting benifits I'm open to ideas.

Oh if anyone knows of a way to catch a person manipulating the system how would you go about catching them working under the table while collecting benifits I'm open to ideas.

Well, for one thing, does his working surpass the set limit? If not, he's ok except he's not paying taxes so, for starters, find out where he's working...

Well, for one thing, does his working surpass the set limit? If not, he's ok except he's not paying taxes so, for starters, find out where he's working...

2C. I don't know where he is working. I have an idea but I don't want to just assume. It is a difficult situation. If and when I find out I will definitely report it.

He had no contact with his children by his choice in over 5 years.

Sometime I think I need to leave it alone. And sometime I think he needs to take up his responsibilities.

As a mom I am ranting and raving

I went on. SS when I was with ex Hubby. Hated it knowing I had so much potential. So I went to work. I got so much more money and gratification from working. Milking the system when someone is ABLE is being a thieft.

id throw in a couple of 'odd thinking' here and there,
what say we call the government a theft, fir they CAN help but insist on a much higher taxes to line the pockets of the rich, like what say IF the government milking of the masses?! the 'benefits' just a way of continunig social control and 'end of the day large companies STILL gets their profit...mainy those from food production, energy supply sector,education (public school) sector, the clothing manufactuers. You see, it's the sales that get circulated back to them.
its like you pay alot fo taxes, and get what in return? much of the infra-structure is already there and well set up, (Ok mantainence). then you have the whole thing on about 'theft' it COULD well be the government are the biggest thieves, like look at their high-end computer gears they insist to use ('for reliablity'), massive supercomputer /network for spying,(spy for what? -probably to help serve the rich and powerful)-using OUR money),big expensive car (motorcades) for image?, whats that say about ' for the people, equality?, not much, and so on .
Ok i admit it might not sem logical, but its just another take on things, something to ponder about now and then, I cant help it, but I do wonder.

another thing, BB, your ex, might have some issues of his own, probably feel bad about himself in one way or another, he's on his own life journey too so to speak (im not sticking up for him, I happen to know a loser like him in real life, one of my 'long time school buddy, but am getting more and more disliking him because because he's a useless lying drunk. Literally, he knocked up two different women, and they both hate him give him untold shit using expensive family lawyers (NOW then one is NOT working (a blunger, and she got rich parents), and another is an accountant's clerk they both placed very strict visiting times for their children to see their dad. Its hard for me to see the 'efforts' he claims to make, becuase he does work Hard (now) up to 12 hrs a day - self employed - as a demolition,refurbisher of native woods, recycling the now-not-allowed to chop-those-trees-for-woods type of 'natural good' (good money). It just so seem to happened that he hit the jackpot in terms of jobs he got laid off at the right time to his sheer luck,BUT he is working overtime likwe frantic (drinks hard and works hard, hes risking a massive hert attack that boy) No he is paying tax on all of it, he DID go under the table for a short while - 2 months but that while the job was on trial. I know it's tad sneaky however he used it to pay off all his family-lawyer debts - I am sure he is not lying. It just seem he over-working himself now to catch up and is probably trying to get a tidy sum for a house deposit. Now to avoid dragging this on, (and losing my 'argument' to you BB, is that my father, he was never a 'loser' like that, but was a slight drunk of and on, he hid it well, he worked hard for many years, avoided assisting my mum on child support (it was in the 1980's) somehow yes he got away with it, but it took him a long time to 'earn back trust from his children - I still dont trust him completely),and now does help out when he can, like practically 'gave me a heat pump' for the house worth about 3 grand - something I could neer afford , and really apreciate a much warmer house -, but ok -that is nothing compared to what he would have been paying if was child support to the mother. but then life is too short to be bitter about everything 'dad' , he had problems, moslty personal - even psychological - to overcome, while going through the years cut off from the family, surely he's cutting himself off for finanical gains but I can bet you he wish he didnt, so not have to be burdened with the 'music' of lost family time and that something to do with the 'self' bein actualised, from being a father. hell I dont know what exactly I am saying but the crux and short of it is, 'there is always two sides of the same story/coin", you may well never the problems your ex is having, and ndeed its his loss to avoid contributing to the family, (or to you and the kids), one of the consequences he is facing is the cost of trust (for him) from that action he take/took is better bigger than you realise. he's have to face his own demons and earn it back, no easy thing to do.
I'd let it go, for he might just come back in future, and actually help your kids thru college's fees , you just never know. just a different take, and angle and all.

anyways Cheers

:ty: for answer my questions. That's true about 2 deaf couples are afraid to get marry. They have 2 kids. Why they should be afraid to get marry because of SSI? :roll: I didn't get lose my SSDAC yet. I didn't understand why I haven't lose my SSDAC yet? Why I should be panic if I get marry with hearing man and lose my SSDAC? I don't have to be panic. I just want to be happy being marriage.

I used to have section 8 at apartment when I was 20. Now, I don't have section 8 anymore. I don't need it. I don't really like Section 8 rules.

What happen with Section 8? What kind look like that?

Back