Thoughts on fakers

Renée12

Reaction score
So a couple days AC my youth group was doing a Christmas party and a freshman invited a friend with her. I went to introduce myself and as we were getting to know each other she said she was also deaf. Because she was a pretty good signer I didn't think anything of it. Later in the party she turned around and then looked back at me and apologized because someone had called her over to them. I don't know if she realized her "mistake" or not, but I was really pissed. I don't get why people fake these things. Especially around a person who actually has the disability that's being faked. It's stupid, unnecessary, and inconsiderate. How do you feel about this?

Maybe they're Hoh. Maybe they have HAs etc.

I'm Hoh and Deaf, but I can make out quite a bit of oral information in various environments (and if I can or can't is very unpredictable), and almost nothing in others. I also have APD which further complicates things.

Maybe they're Hoh. Maybe they have HAs etc.

I'm Hoh and Deaf, but I can make out quite a bit of oral information in various environments (and if I can or can't is very unpredictable), and almost nothing in others. I also have APD which further complicates things.
I guess that could be it, but the person who called her was on the other side of the room so I'm not sure

I am... well hard of hearing (I still call myself deaf though). Growing up you learn to identify your own name or whatever. I may not always know WHERE it's coming from but many times can hear my own name while other names will go right by me. I've noticed that in doctor's offices usually (though as time goes on, it's getting harder).

So... as noted, the person could very well be HOH or have enough hearing (with or without HA) to identify their own name when called out- even in a crowded noisy room.

Don't assume. Yes there are people who might say they're deaf when they're not but I find that in general it isn't an issue. Hard of Hearing people have been known to call themselves deaf-- and deaf have been known to call themselves HOH.

I am profoundly hoh, or deaf but if I am wearing a streamer I can hear around me a little better. But who is to say. I have had people fake it around me. But I feel like it is like people with accents. If someone speaks in a British accent then people around them would want to show off their best British accent. Idk each to their own.

I would not have made the assumption that this person is faking. I can hear people call behind me even from a distance, as long as I have my HAs in. And, I have a profound loss. *smh*

My question is how did they call her? Was it via voice or sign?

It can be easier to here you own name some times and other things our minds are trained to respond to someone calling it

When people call my real name is just about have a heart attack so I would definitely hear that.

People actually do this? For what reason?

Some do yes. for:
1. attention
2. "it's cool"
3. because they really really think they ARE deaf- maybe mental issues?? Who knows... kind of like those who feel like they should have an amputated leg or arm-- or be blind...
4. Misguided thinking that they can get benefits etc offered to the deaf. I don't think this one happens all that much but do know of at least one person who did get into Gallaudet by 'cheating' on the audiology test to meet the requirements (mild...and I mean mild hearing loss- he faked profound loss).

Years ago I visited Deaf Bowling League in Rochester, NY to hang out with all the deaf friends. At one point one deaf guy came up to me asked me if I'm deaf because he wasn't sure due to fluent in ASL. I responded quickly yes I'm deaf without thinking carefully. Few second later my alphanumeric pager vibrated and it was from my work. So I walk up to the pay phone and start dialing the numbers. All of sudden I felt the strong jolt at the back of my head and it was same deaf guy who asked me earlier gave me a hard slap at the back of my head and screamed and signed at me "YOU ARE NOT DEAF!!!!! I was like...holy cow... You know If I take off my hearing aids, I'm completely deaf and proud to be deaf. Then I realized that there are some sensitivity involved between big D and little d.... and how they are raised between two worlds. So from there and on when anyone asked me I will say HOH...

Even hearing people sometimes cant hear their names being called from across a room at a party. Maybe she has supersonic hearing aids. lol

Some do yes. for:
1. attention
2. "it's cool"
3. because they really really think they ARE deaf- maybe mental issues?? Who knows... kind of like those who feel like they should have an amputated leg or arm-- or be blind...
4. Misguided thinking that they can get benefits etc offered to the deaf. I don't think this one happens all that much but do know of at least one person who did get into Gallaudet by 'cheating' on the audiology test to meet the requirements (mild...and I mean mild hearing loss- he faked profound loss).
Yes, isn't there that condition where they're preocuupied with becoming disabled? Transabled I think it's called?

I doubt she was faking. Maybe she has two hearing aids and has sensorineural deafness. I am severe/profound range deaf and without hearing aids I am almost totally deaf, so I describe myself "deaf" rather than hard of hearing. I have an equal loss of about 80% in both ears so that definitely places me in the range of borderline profound deaf. My deafness is sensorineural. Which means with this type of hearing loss, if there is enough hearing to work with, hearing aids can be very effective. This is not the case with conductive deafness. Sensorineural deafness means that all the inner working parts (conduction function) of the ears are normal, so it is the auditory nerves leading to the brain that are affected. My hearing loss was caused by either a high fever or a virus (or both) when. I was about 6 weeks old. Doctors are sure the cause was the Hong Kong flu of 1965 and I am lucky to be alive.

Did you say she was facing you? Then she must have read your lips and heard some sound with the hearing aids. It's how I have managed to communicate with the hearing world all of my 51 years. I never learned signs because the nearest school for the deaf was 400 miles away.

Some do yes. for:
1. attention
2. "it's cool"

That's not good, and if I were in your shoes I would..... bring back Daffy, because that was neat.

Back