'This is Alabama...We Speak English'....

So why is ok but a written test in another language is not ok?
I can't answer for other people. It may be because the deaf drivers are American citizens. :dunno:

that's fine. Making English an official American language doesn't mean we will drop all translation service.

But if English is the offical language that means that people no longer have the right to material and services in their native language. Wouldn't it also mean that English would have to be the language of instruction in all classrooms? What does that mean for bi-bi?

Wirelessly posted

What about Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico is exempted from certain things like some parts of the Constitution and some federal laws. they do not have voting representative in Congress either.

But if English is the offical language that means that people no longer have the right to material and services in their native language.
no

Wouldn't it also mean that English would have to be the language of instruction in all classrooms?
yes. less confusion & frustration for all and better communication with the whole.

What does that mean for bi-bi?
see above. and I strongly support bi-bi program as long as English remains a primary language. many countries are bi/trilingual. If the end result is that students can speak/write English upon graduation... good enough for me! I do not want our kids to graduate from schools not knowing English fluently enough to make conversation or read the English material.

We are United States of America... not Divided States of America. Every single person in America is represented. If we're gonna stay united together - we gotta have a common ground... English. This applies for ASL deafies. Beside - ASL deafies read and write in English, right? Having a common ground with all different communities in America builds a better cohesion that most likely lessen a strong racism in here.

Like I said - just by making English an official language doesn't mean translation service will no longer be provided for. We're not that xenophobic.

There's nothing in the U.S. Constitution about making English the primary language, is there?

no

yes. less confusion & frustration for all and better communication with the whole.

see above. and I strongly support bi-bi program as long as English remains a primary language. If the end result is that students can speak/write English upon graduation... good enough for me! I do not want our kids to graduate from schools not knowing English fluently enough to make conversation or read the English material.

We are United States of America... not Divided States of America. Every single person in America is represented. If we're gonna stay united together - we gotta have a common ground... English. This applies for ASL deafies. Beside - ASL deafies read and write in English, right? Having a common ground with all different communities in America builds a better cohesion that most likely reduce a strong racism in here.

Like I said - just by making English an official language doesn't mean translation service will no longer be provided for. We're not that xenophobic.

I disagree. I think this is the first step to exactly that. First we get rid of something simple like driving tests, then it becomes all goverment materials. After that, all classrooms become English only (I guess that means oral only) and then people lose the right to an interpreter for police questioning, court appearences and hospitals. People say "Should have learned English" when people complain.....so where does that leave Deaf people? Many Deaf people don't feel as comfortable in English as they do in ASL, and they need interpreters in these kind of situations. If English is the only acceptable language, what happens to them?

There's nothing in the U.S. Constitution about making English the primary language, is there?

well that's because there's a common sense. They talked and wrote in English, right? The Constitution was written in English. I believe most of countries "Constitution" papers don't have anything about having a primary language.

beside there's nothing in Constitution or law making it illegal to make English an official language. It's up to us to pass the law.

well that's because there's a common sense. They talked and wrote in English, right? The Constitution was written in English. I believe most of countries "Constitution" papers don't have anything about having a primary language.

beside there's nothing in Constitution or law making it illegal to make English an official language. It's up to us to pass the law.

I think it is discriminatory, that would mean there was lots of stuff in the constitution that is against it!

Also, I doubt the English today would resemble the English in the Constitution, so that point is moot.

As far as common sense goes, the English used today is not the same used in the early years of the USA, and there certainly were other languages used by immigrants. English after all is a conglomeration of words from other languages and is constantly changing. It is my understanding that the US Citizenship test has 15 languages to aid in study, so I don't see how the English language is of overriding importance. But that is just me, and of course I could be wrong, lol.

I think it is discriminatory, that would mean there was lots of stuff in the constitution that is against it!
where? can you list the Amendment #? Clause? Article #, Section # that says making English an official language is unconstitutional?

Also, I doubt the English today would resemble the English in the Constitution, so that point is moot.
major difference - the words remain the same but the writing style & context change over time. so do idioms.

Old English was more of a crafty form of language - very artistic and poetic. Modern English is more of brusque in nature... direct. Either way - it's still in English. Most importantly - regardless of era, the message it conveys remains consistently same but the only difference is how it's worded.

19th Century English: "For aught I know"
Modern English: "For all I know"

19th Century English: "...and being in close neighborhood with the enemy we were necessitated to be pretty alert."
Modern English: ".... and being in close proximity with the enemy, we were very alert" (feel free to reword this because there are several ways to say it)

19th Century English: "Elizabeth, so shamefully her inferior in personal loyalty, fidelity and gratitude, was so clearly her superior on the one all-important point of patriotism."
Modern English: It's so beautiful that I refuse to translate this into Modern English. It's criminal to do so :)

See? same message but different wording.

I disagree. I think this is the first step to exactly that. First we get rid of something simple like driving tests, then it becomes all goverment materials. After that, all classrooms become English only (I guess that means oral only) and then people lose the right to an interpreter for police questioning, court appearences and hospitals. People say "Should have learned English" when people complain.....so where does that leave Deaf people? Many Deaf people don't feel as comfortable in English as they do in ASL, and they need interpreters in these kind of situations. If English is the only acceptable language, what happens to them?

Canadian Deaf still has Deaf schools, and Deaf programs. We still have access to interpreters in hospitals, schools and in police stations. Hell, I know Japanese who have their own interpreters.

Yet English and French are our official languages and all government services, including schools and hospitals, must be provided in both languages.

:hmm:

I still think it's up to the individual states to decide what languages they want. I means.. what if Vermont and Louisiana have decided to stay French throughout the 250 years of American history? Wouldn't the imposition of official English language be imposing on their state rights?

As far as common sense goes, the English used today is not the same used in the early years of the USA, and there certainly were other languages used by immigrants. English after all is a conglomeration of words from other languages and is constantly changing.
Either way - it's still English. That remains unchanged since the birth of America.

It is my understanding that the US Citizenship test has 15 languages to aid in study, so I don't see how the English language is of overriding importance. But that is just me, and of course I could be wrong, lol.

more information here -

Exceptions & Accommodations
English Language Exemptions

You Are Exempt From The English Language Requirement, But Are Still Required To Take The Civics Test If You Are:

* Age 50 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident (green card holder) in the United States for 20 years (commonly referred to as the “50/20” exception).
OR
* Age 55 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 15 years (commonly referred to as the “55/15” exception).

Note: Even if you qualify for the “50/20” or “55/15” English language exceptions listed above, you must still take the civics test. You may be permitted to take the civics test in your native language, but only if your command of spoken English is insufficient to conduct a valid examination in English. If you are age 65 or older and have been a permanent resident for at least 20 years at the time of filing for naturalization, you will be given special consideration regarding the civics requirement.

Medical Disability Exceptions to English and Civics
You may be eligible for an exception to the English and civics naturalization requirements if you are unable to comply with these requirements because of a physical or developmental disability or a mental impairment.

To request this exception, submit Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions. This form must be completed by a licensed medical or osteopathic doctor, or licensed clinical psychologist.

Continuous Residence Exceptions
If you are engaged in certain kinds of overseas employment you may be eligible for an exception to the continuous residence requirement. For more information see the link to the right, “Continuous Residence and Physical Presence Requirements for Naturalization.”

Disability Accommodations
Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, we provide accommodations or modifications for applicants with physical or mental impairments that make it difficult for them to complete the naturalization process. Applicants are encouraged to list their needs in the space provided on Form N-400.

Oath of Allegiance
After applying for naturalization and in order to be naturalized, you must take an oath of allegiance in a public ceremony. The law allows for certain modifications to the Oath of Allegiance. For more information see section 337 of the Immigration Nationality Act (INA) and 8 CFR 337.1(b) in the links to the right.

UCIS's General Path to Citizenship

Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for naturalization under section 316(a) of the INA, an applicant must:

* Be 18 or older
* Be a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
* Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application
* Have continuous residence in the United States as a permanent resident for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of the filing the application
* Be physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
* Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization up to the time of naturalization
* Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).
* Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law

What Are the Naturalization Testing Requirements?
An applicant for naturalization is generally required to demonstrate:

Knowledge of the English language including an ability to read, write, and speak words in ordinary usage; and knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history, principles, and form of government of the United States.

To implement these requirements, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) administers tests of each applicant's ability to read, write and speak English words in ordinary usage and to answer basic questions about the government and history of the United States (civics). However, the law allows an exception to the English and civics testing required for naturalization in the case of an applicant who is unable to comply "because of physical or developmental disability or mental impairment."

Deafies are fine :)

I think the posters would like to see language protection in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution to ensure that nothing will happen. ;)

After all, laws can be repealed.

I disagree. I think this is the first step to exactly that. First we get rid of something simple like driving tests, then it becomes all goverment materials. After that, all classrooms become English only (I guess that means oral only) and then people lose the right to an interpreter for police questioning, court appearences and hospitals. People say "Should have learned English" when people complain.....
reread my post again - "just by making English an official language doesn't mean translation service will no longer be provided for. We're not that xenophobic."

lot of people in America are not American citizens but are here legally. translation service is provided for at legal proceedings. we have ESL programs.

if the town is predominantly Spanish or Korean... the translation service is already available - newspaper, translator, tv program, etc.

so where does that leave Deaf people? Many Deaf people don't feel as comfortable in English as they do in ASL, and they need interpreters in these kind of situations. If English is the only acceptable language, what happens to them?
Deaf schools use ASL and written English and fingerspell in English, right? there are textbooks, essays, blackboard, etc. in English, yes?

Where does the state get money for the courses?

The states are paying the driving exams in different languages so if they want make English only on driving exam so time for them to set the English course that related to driving course.

It is from our taxpayers.

Back