This is a frightening situation in my area

...At any rate, this individual is likely not a risk to the community....
Then why was he being kept in a "secure" facility instead attending as an outpatient?

Then why was he being kept in a "secure" facility instead attending as an outpatient?

All inpatient facilities are considered to be secure facilities, and within that secure facility are different levels of security. If one is suicidal, for instance,one is kept inpatient at a secure facility. If one is suffering delusions or hallucinations that could result in self harm, one is kept inpatient as a secure facility. There are a myriad of reasons why patients are treated in a secure facility.

All inpatient facilities are considered to be secure facilities, and within that secure facility are different levels of security. If one is suicidal, for instance,one is kept inpatient at a secure facility. If one is suffering delusions or hallucinations that could result in self harm, one is kept inpatient as a secure facility. There are a myriad of reasons why patients are treated in a secure facility.
So he is a risk either to himself or others.

So he is a risk either to himself or others.

More likely to himself. That is why I said not likely to be a risk to the community.And risk does not translate to a general risk to himself and others in all situations. Risk is dependent upon a lot of environmental triggers and mental status at the time.

The whole thing was a hot topic on local talk radio today. The host said that lots of residents have been flooding him with emails of concern. The host, and other media people, have been trying to get information from the management at the center but no one has responded.

The whole thing was a hot topic on local talk radio today. The host said that lots of residents have been flooding him with emails of concern. The host, and other media people, have been trying to get information from the management at the center but no one has responded.

I don't doubt at all that it is a hot topic, nor that the media is not doing everything they can to keep any shred of controversy going.

Again, I understand the lack of response from the center. It isn't that they are ignoring concerns. It is that they are under obligations of extremely strict confidentiality limits. To respond publically to this specific case could very well mean a release of some kind of identifying information regarding confidential matters. Legally, even making a statement that this individual was receiving treatment at the center to the general public is a confidentiality breach. Just as I cannot even confirm for family members that a client of mine is indeed a client.

I don't doubt at all that it is a hot topic, nor that the media is not doing everything they can to keep any shred of controversy going.

Again, I understand the lack of response from the center. It isn't that they are ignoring concerns. It is that they are under obligations of extremely strict confidentiality limits. To respond publically to this specific case could very well mean a release of some kind of identifying information regarding confidential matters.
They don't even respond to general questions about their programs, security, what's the deal with other states, and why their stated activities are so misleading.

Everyone who called or emailed the talk show said that they were under the impression that the center dealt with troubled youngsters, not adult criminals. They were shocked to learn otherwise.

They don't even respond to general questions about their programs, security, what's the deal with other states, and why their stated activities are so misleading.

Everyone who called or emailed the talk show said that they were under the impression that the center dealt with troubled youngsters, not adult criminals. They were shocked to learn otherwise.

I'm sure their legal staff has advised them not to say anything at all to avoid even a chance perception of a breach. That is generally the way it goes. This could easily turn into a witch hunt based on innacurrate perceptions of the risks involved with mentally ill patients.

People who have worked at similar places said that they were always located in rural areas, like farms and ranches.

I'm sure their legal staff has advised them not to say anything at all to avoid even a chance perception of a breach. That is generally the way it goes. This could easily turn into a witch hunt based on innacurrate perceptions of the risks involved with mentally ill patients.
By avoiding the media and the police, they only make themselves look worse. Maybe one of their head honchos needs to meet with the public. (It's not just one center but a chain of centers.)

People who have worked at similar places said that they were always located in rural areas, like farms and ranches.

Not always. I know of a juvenile facility, for instance, (inpatient secure) that I refer to for cases where a child or adolescent has been determined to be a risk to themselves or others that is located right in the middle of a mixed residential / business area. They are zoned as a hospital. Same with this facility, I'm sure.

By avoiding the media and the police, they only make themselves look worse. Maybe one of their head honchos needs to meet with the public. (It's not just one center but a chain of centers.)

Perhaps from the perspective of the general public. But they are still under legal mandates regarding confidentiality and privileged communication. Even a honcho is under those guidelines.

Yeah, I am aware that they have several facilities. Makes sense. Not wise to put those needing, for instance, substance abuse treatment in with actively psychotic individuals.

Perhaps from the perspective of the general public. But they are still under legal mandates regarding confidentiality and privileged communication. Even a honcho is under those guidelines.
Yes, but he should be able to know how to stay within the guidelines and still provide some information to the community.

Yeah, I am aware that they have several facilities. Makes sense. Not wise to put those needing, for instance, substance abuse treatment in with actively psychotic individuals.
They're in three different locations.

Facilities in Charleston, Summerville and Florence, SC - Palmetto Lowcountry Behavioral Health ? Charleston, SC Mental Health Services- Depression, Substance Abuse treatment & Mental Illness

I've heard that Palmetto is also part of an even larger chain.

Yes, but he should be able to know how to stay within the guidelines and still provide some information to the community.

They're in three different locations.

Facilities in Charleston, Summerville and Florence, SC - Palmetto Lowcountry Behavioral Health ? Charleston, SC Mental Health Services- Depression, Substance Abuse treatment & Mental Illness

I've heard that Palmetto is also part of an even larger chain.

If he answers questions regarding what goes on in the facility, then the public is likely to believe that it all would automatically apply to this individual and come up with wrong conclusions. I have already seen such happen just based on the little information that is available. That is why nothing can be said in relation to this case or in general. People want to know about this case, and even general information will be assumed to apply. The same reason why I cannot even confirm that a particular person is a client of mine. Wrong assumptions get made.

I didn't know that they are part of an even larger chain. That isn't unusual. A lot if times, separate facilities like this are under the umbrella of a hospital chain.

Here's another resident, age 21, at the center. He's a registered sex offender, from Delaware.

Dorchester County SC Sheriff's Office OffenderWatch® sex offender management, mapping and email alert program

If he is of adult age (21) and is registered as a sex offender, then the local law enforcement and appropriate authorities (parole board, adult probation, etc) are already aware that he is there. And, because his address is public information, it is considered that the residents in the area have been informed.

But, I'm curious. Since treatment has been shown to reduce recidivism, not just in sexual offenses, but for many forms of violent type crimes, would you prefer that these patients not receive treatment? If they are going to receive treatment, then some facility has to take them.

Keep in mind, that we don't know the details of this one, either. Like, for instance, the circumstances of his being registered as a sex offender. It is not unheard of for an 18 year old have to register for the rest of his life because of a consenual relationship with his 15 year old girlfriend. And many people have spent years in prison, forced to register because of a rape conviction that was later found to be in error through DNA.

...But, I'm curious. Since treatment has been shown to reduce recidivism, not just in sexual offenses, but for many forms of violent type crimes, would you prefer that these patients not receive treatment? If they are going to receive treatment, then some facility has to take them.
That's fine. The facility can be more separated and secured from the neighborhood. They can also improve their notification of authorities policy.

Keep in mind, that we don't know the details of this one, either. Like, for instance, the circumstances of his being registered as a sex offender. It is not unheard of for an 18 year old have to register for the rest of his life because of a consenual relationship with his 15 year old girlfriend. And many people have spent years in prison, forced to register because of a rape conviction that was later found to be in error through DNA.
He was convicted of rape second degree serious physical injury (DE 1107720a2aFB). That doesn't sound consensual to me.

You mean to say there are absolutely no good people from DC?

Actually, no, but you already knew that. I am saying that out of all the "good" people in DC, there are also some very very bad people as well. Usually, juveniles who are violent offenders, that are from very specific parts of DC known for gang activity, are usually involved in gang activity.

It doesn't really take a rocket scientist and 3 PhD's to figure that one out. Well ... maybe it does.

I am kind of surprised no one thought to look at his facebook posts .... just saying ....

Last edited:
D.C. teen at large after escape from S.C. site - Washington Times

Details of Parker’s juvenile record were not readily available, but D.C. Superior Court records indicate he was arrested in 2008 for fleeing a police officer in the area of 17th and Euclid streets in Northwest. He was driving a Mercedes at the time with Virginia tags on the back and Maryland tags on the front. He failed to complete a diversion program and was sentenced to seven days in jail.

He was later found guilty on a charge of tampering with a monitoring device.

In March, Parker was ordered detained to a Pennsylvania residential treatment center for 90 days. It was unclear from the court papers what precipitated his transfer to South Carolina.

Adams Morgan Has a Gang Problem That Doesn’t Exist - City Desk - Washington City Paper

The gang has been largely dispersed. At least, that's according to a campaign season boast by Councilmember Jim Graham. The Ward 1 politician contended that with the help of a police camera at 17th and Euclid streets Northewest, the Metropolitan Police Department had "scattered" what's known as the 1-7 crew. Graham was trying to put constituents at ease about a longstanding, bloody rivalry between the 1-7 Crew and the G-Rod Crew (14th and Girard streets NW).

Ummmm ... rocket science ....

Back