The sun and the earth... on cued speech

Those video's are impressive.!! (I guess you mean this one.)

On the britisch CS website there are more impressive video's. You can order them as well. (Free of charge. LOL :bye: JT)

Since when did I say anything about any British organization and CS? NCSA still makes a profit selling theirs. And, as Brits pronounce many words differently than Americans do, chances are the cueing will not be an exact respresentation of American phonetics.

I'm glad you find language deprivation funny.:eek3:

I guess your own words are coming back to haunt you:
:lol:....
Your misinterpretation.... now that's funny .... :lol:
You making assumptions about people based on your misinterpretations, :lol:
and then judging people because of the assumptions based on your misinterpretations...:lol:

now THAT's funny.... :lol:
You are funny Jillio !!

Those video's are impressive.!! (I guess you mean this one.)

On the britisch CS website there are more impressive video's. You can order them as well. (Free of charge. LOL :bye: JT)

Yes Cloggy, that was the one. And thanks for the link. I will
let you know what I think when I've had time to look at them.
When my hubby retires I will be going back to work, ( he is
ten years my senior Chase):giggle: and I am thinking of working
with Deaf and Hoh children. I want to be prepared to respond
in what ever ways are needed.:fingersx:

:lol:....
Your misinterpretation.... now that's funny .... :lol:
You making assumptions about people based on your misinterpretations, :lol:
and then judging people because of the assumptions based on your misinterpretations...:lol:

now THAT's funny.... :lol:
You are funny Jillio !!

Hearing families language first for deaf children. Hmmm....let's see. Hearing family's native language=spoken English. 90% of deaf children born to hearing parents. Therefore, the recommendation is: spoken language for 90 of deaf children.

No misinterpretation there. Those are loml words, not mine. It is really a very simple deduction, cloggy. Are you tired, or just having trouble coming up with a logical and cohesive argument to support your posts?

It doesn't take experience to see the handshapes that are necessary for cueing. Knowledge of the childhood developmental cycles leads one to a very logical conclusion. Perhaps all you know is cueing, and that makes it difficult for you to sythesize other pertinent information.

jillio - You simply do not have the education regarding cueing and childhood developmental cycles, nor through your own admission do you wish to learn.

Myself, I believe in life long learning.

jillio - You simply do not have the education regarding cueing and childhood developmental cycles, nor through your own admission do you wish to learn.

Myself, I believe in life long learning.

Then why do you stay locked in that little box of yours?

And I beg to differ with you. I have extensive coursework and field work in child developmental cycles, as well as extensive research in CS. What exactly are your credentials and education?

Then why do you stay locked in that little box of yours?

And I beg to differ with you. I have extensive coursework and field work in child developmental cycles, as well as extensive research in CS. What exactly are your credentials and education?

jillio- Hands on experience is the best teacher. You quite frankly do not have that when it comes to Cued Speech.

jillio- Hands on experience is the best teacher. You quite frankly do not have that when it comes to Cued Speech.

Are you going to answer my question? Or are you avoiding the obvious again? Since you question my education and credientials......exactly what is your education and credentials?

And those that do have hands on experience with CS, as well as the additional education necesary to assess it's usefulness, and its successes, agree that L1 language should be ASL, with CS used as a teaching tool, not a communication mode.

Actually I'm way ahead of you. Prior to coming to alldeaf I knew nothing
about CS and little of CI. Each time I read one of your debates I promptly
begin researching myself. (Kaitin and I must be related:giggle:) I found the videos of CS fascinating. I almost can't take my eyes off it. I would like to learn it and have added it to my list of new things to learn. sigh. Right now I am trying to learn things that will improve my receptive skills. (any ideas?) I only know one Deaf family well enough that would let me stay with them for 2 weeks but then my family would fall apart without me! Our church has what we call Camp Meetings in the summers. A weeks worth of camping for like minded people. Well I've decided to go to next summers Deaf Camp meeting! I should end up exhausted but with my receptive skills much improved. And I can bring the little ones too! Total Immersion! So did I read I only have to learn 20 hand positions? Even poor dsylexic me might be able to master that!

fredfam- Geographics often make learning ASL very challenging. Immersion is definately the cream of the crop!

Do you have any vidoes of ASL for receptive skills? "Signing Naturally" comes to mind.

The NCSA hosts cue camps in the summer, when and if you venture into CS. It is well worth the time and energy and very family friendly!

Refresh me, where are you located?

I admire you for home schooling your children!

Are you going to answer my question? Or are you avoiding the obvious again? Since you question my education and credientials......exactly what is your education and credentials?

And those that do have hands on experience with CS, as well as the additional education necesary to assess it's usefulness, and its successes, agree that L1 language should be ASL, with CS used as a teaching tool, not a communication mode.

No they don't.

BTW I really am open to any ideas for improving my receptive
skills. I have taught my kids ASL. I have taken ASL 1 and 2 twice and completed ASL 3 and 4, just 2 years ago and I got As. My receptive skills still
suck. I am getting very frustrated!

jillio - LOL - I do not question your educational credentials, I simply have stated that you have never learned how to cue.

skills. I have taught my kids ASL. I have taken ASL 1 and 2 twice and completed ASL 3 and 4, just 2 years ago and I got As. My receptive skills still

Do you have any ASL videos fredfam? I am not familiar with the deaf community in your area. Are there clubs or activities that you can bring your children to?

It is difficult when you are so far away from any deaf signers. But the videos do help. There are any number of videos available that use native ASL signers signing things like Edgar Allen Poe readings. They are extremely useful for receptive skills, as well as for seeing syntax, the use of classifiers, etc.

jillio - LOL - I do not question your educational credentials, I simply have stated that you have never learned how to cue.

Here are your own word, loml, copied and pasted from your post:

jillio - You simply do not have the education regarding cueing and childhood developmental cycles,

Sounds to me like you are questioning not just my ability to cue, but also my edcuation in childhood developmental cycles, as well. And no where did you refer to my ability to cue, but to education.

Are you going to answer the question?

fredfam- Geographics often make learning ASL very challenging. Immersion is definately the cream of the crop!

Do you have any vidoes of ASL for receptive skills? "Signing Naturally" comes to mind.

The NCSA hosts cue camps in the summer, when and if you venture into CS. It is well worth the time and energy and very family friendly!

Refresh me, where are you located?

I admire you for home schooling your children!

I live in Oregon, very NW corner close to Washington. We have very
close Deaf friends who live just over the boarder in Washington. But
we only get to see them 2 or 3 times a year.

I have been watching videos over and over. My sister inlaw (She is
fluent in ASL and the only adult I know about that learned after her
first child was born deaf, that became so fluent that she interprets
very often for technical classes and plays and things like that. But
then she was an ambassadors daughter, traveled extensively and spoke
several languages as a child. I'm sure that helped. Any way so far the
most helpful thing has been watching Deaf Ninja over and over. I think
I was on my 8 or 9nth viewing when I visually saw him become aware
of the single raindrop falling! It was so pretty! I had missed that all the
other views! Watching Keith Wann is helping some too. I'm really into
comedy in any venue so I think I'll keep trying that. I need the ones that
have voice though, I don't turn the sound up till I've viewed them at least
3 times.

It is difficult when you are so far away from any deaf signers. But the videos do help. There are any number of videos available that use native ASL signers signing things like Edgar Allen Poe readings. They are extremely useful for receptive skills, as well as for seeing syntax, the use of classifiers, etc.

Ooooh! Where would I find those? Do you have a link?

Ooooh! Where would I find those? Do you have a link?

Don't have a link specifically for those videos, but I will ask the deaf ASL instructor at school and pm you with the information. We are on break right now, so it will be after the first of the year, but I'll make a note on my calendar right now to check with her the day classes resume.

Here are your own word, loml, copied and pasted from your post:

jillio - You simply do not have the education regarding cueing and childhood developmental cycles,

Sounds to me like you are questioning not just my ability to cue, but also my edcuation in childhood developmental cycles, as well. And no where did you refer to my ability to cue, but to education.

Are you going to answer the question?

jillio -With reagards to cueing and childhood developement, indeed it would appear through you own admission that you do not have the education. Unless of course you have managed to squeeze in a Basic Cued Speech workshop some time this weekend.

Back