The Story of a Coda Child

The story make me :cry: it's very beauty story even i read also i m proud of ur daughter that she is soo brave write about deaf parent like you and ur hubby the reason she don't want you know cuz she wuld knew it'll hurt feel but it's make her feel betta much to write important to her proud itself ;) and hope she will chance won :fingersx:

Wow!! The story is very expressive telling about how she felt ashamed of her deaf parents. I never realized that my son who is 31 years old had experienced when he was a young boy. He was ashamed of me being deaf and being different. He would not sign out in public, but prefered to sign right at home. He sometime bring some of his friends over but always went straight to his rooms to play or whatever they were doing in the room. That CODA story really woke me up and realized wondering if my son had that feeling different toward me as a deaf mother. Less than two years ago, I went to visit my son and his family while I was attending the memorial service for my mother. I was surprise that he can sign out in public and he does not have the embarassment or ashamed of me, even though I can not be sure if I can read his face. I am hoping and pray that she get a CODA scholarship. Wave my hands for clapping. :gpost:

Oh wow.. what a beautiful story your daughter wrote, Bear.. I hope she win the scholarship for this.... wow.... beautiful!!!! Tell your daughter she a smart girl eh!!

ty everyone!

Bebonang,

In response to you, I would say it highly likely he was. With children, their image means everything to them.

To them our deafness, could mean being singled out as different. They could and do face alot of teasing because of deaf parents. I recall one time, when I and 3 other women literally had to pull my daughter off of another girl. My daughter beat her up because she made the comments about her having deaf parents. She said we were deaf and dumb and blah blah.

Well Mandi didnt like that. So she proceeded to show this girl how she felt and that she would not tolerate her parents being talked about like that.

I do know that it is not easy for any of us. But also it can be harder for our children sometimes, than it is for us.

Wow, a powerful story. Amanda has learned a very good life lesson about the wonderful part of deaf culture and the deaf community :).

Yes Amanda has learned it Baja. I really say growing up as Coda can teach these kids not only tolerance of someone different than you. But also they are another good source of seeing first hand of our fight for better rights. My daughter recently asked me why so many high schools do not offer sign language as a language course. I had to tell her that I simply didnt know why, and that ASL is not really an officially recognized language like English is.

Bear, I meant to say something earlier but just lost track of this thread. I found it and decided to go ahead and post. I wish the very best for your daughter to get a scholarship. Let me know when she hears anything from them.

What a touching story!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed for Amanda to win the scolarship! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

I didn't see this thread until today.

Those story touch my heart... It's beautiful how she describe her feeling when she write about her deaf parents. *cross my finger, she win the scholarship...

Am gonna post my source AFTER I tell the story!

Growing up as the child of a deaf adult proved very strenuous. I was always afraid to bring friends home, or introduce people to my parents because they were deaf. I was always afraid that the other kids would make fun of me because my parents were different than everyone else's. I kept their secret hidden, and locked away inside of me.

It was like I was ashamed of their disability because I was afraid it would come back on me and make me look like a freak, make me look different. I turned a blind eye to my mom when she used to ask me if I wanted to learn her language, and how to communicate with her. "why would I want to do that?" "When am I ever going to use it?" I would always ask.

I would see the hurt in her eyes at my reluctance, but I never thought to sit down and actually talk it out with her. I never took the time to become a part of her world, or understand what she was going through, even though she always made an effort to be a part of mine. I watch her as the rest of her hearing diminished. She used to be so lively, so energetic, but I watched that go when the rest of her hearing went.

As I look back now, I often wish that I would have taken the time, and learned her language. As I watch her now, I finally realize that being different isn't always something to be ashamed about. When people say "tell me about your parents?" The first thing I proudly say is "my parents are deaf and they're some of the most brave, amazing people I know."

The usual response I got to that is "Oh my god that is so cool, can you teach me sign language?" When I have to tell that that I never bothered to take the time to learn, and that I dont really know that much sign language, they often look at me with expressions that say "well why in the world not?" All I can tell these people is, "I was ashamed."

Now my mom has all these wonderful friends that think I'm one of the coolest hearing kids they know because I can fingerspell, and I feel like an outsider, a traitor, because I didn't ever want to be a part of their world.

I wish I had though because deaf people are so completely amazing, so accomodating. Their language is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The way their hands flow between the different sings, the way there's a different sign for everything, even though in English, we often use the same word to explain different things. They're so easy-going. They make friends easily, and they forge such strong friendships with each other.

Most of the deaf community that I've come into contact with are so close, they're like family. They've never made me feel out of place, or made me feel different, no matter how much I used to resent the fact that my parents were deaf. The experience of being a CODA has proved to be a hardship, but in the end, there are so many rewards that I wouldn't trade it for anything.

The source of this story is my daughter Amanda *last name with held*
I can so relate to your feelings. I was born hearing. At 14, i lost my hearing. I have lots of extended that are deaf, but I shunned that world for a long time. I then my world became the deaf world. I am so ashamed and conflicted too. God bless you.

pack,

I am the mother of that child that wrote that.

But we are more similar than you think. I too lost my hearing at 14 and went through alot of what you did.

ty everyone for your support. I hope she does win the scholarship. If there is a better essay than this one. It would have to be really good. I dont think i would wanna be judging these essays.

Finally found this CODA story as it been moved. Aww, this is very amazing story and sad too.

Mandi, I hope ya will win this CODA Scholarship. *fingers crossed* :)

:hug:

Ty sis SG and I moved it here hoping to get more views and replies. I think this makes a very good topic for discussion.

What a beautiful story that Amanda wrote and she wrote it from her heart. Very true to her heart content and really showing the real inner feeling of what it must have felt for her to be a CODA child. Wish Amanda all the best in getting her scholarship.

:ty: sis Sasha. I was so very proud of her for writing this and felt that it is probably a feeling echoed by many other coda's. I think it is a real eye opener on the struggles that a coda faces.

I will pass your well wishes to her.

That's a good story and sounds lot like Keith Wann and he CODA Comedian. I'm sure some of you heard of him and he delivers wonderful Laughing Medicine. If You ever get chance to buy Keith Wann "Watching Two Worlds Collide". It was very good show and I brought his DVD. IT'S WONDERFUL and was worth my money.

P.S. That was a Beautiful story to share... :grouphug:

Back